Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #31
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Yes, but everybody thinking about buying a new flashcard for full english wikipedia please read this first.
Thanks for the info! I'm using linux, so I'm OK from that point of view.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #32
Mainframe-Junki
Mainframe-Junki began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
First i like to thank amirshim for his great work, as all others for building and fixing the package.

It's great to have wikipedia offline on iLiad.

I have only one problem with dillo, as i can not enter german umlauts as äöü.
But midori have no problem with this.

Nice weekend

Oliver
Mainframe-Junki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #33
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
I think there is another bug: If you click a link that begins with a Umlaut (äöü) it gives back a error - in all three browsers.
Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:26 AM   #34
salbeik
salbeik began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Not working

This is so not working. Copied the all-in-one package over to my CF card.
On the iLiad I run "start wikipedia server." tried the wikipedia.html and dillo

wikipedia.html : LCD blinks like 5-10 minuttes, gives an error - Connection refused

Dillo: Unable to connect to host.

Error.txt:

'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "web.py", line 13, in <module>
from mwlib import uparser, htmlwriter
File "/media/cf/Wikipedia/exe/python/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mwlib/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
import pkg_resources
ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

I have a iLiad Book edition (NO WIFI) OS vers. 2.12.1 . with IPDF fullscreen, etc. installed

One more thing, i don't know if it's because i have the ipdf fullscreen hack installed, but how do i get dillo to show a keyboard so that I can type in a url ? - when connected to a wired network. I know wikipedia works offline.
salbeik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #35
TomJones
TomJones began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v1
Same problem with USB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Yes, but everybody thinking about buying a new flashcard for full english wikipedia please read this first.

Gogolo
Hi,
Thanks for this information and to all the people involved in bringing the wikipedia to the iliad. Do you know if this same problem/fix applies to USB drives as well? I was planning on getting a tiny 4GB USB drive for wikipedia instead of buying a 4GB CF card, since it would be cheaper.
Thanks for any help.
Tom
TomJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #36
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
I just ordered a USB-CF-reader to reformat my 8GB card to ext2 to prepare it to receive the english wikipedia. I just don't dare to call any createfs on the iLiad I got one for 7,- Euro, thats not even a pizza+drink.

And a big THANK YOU! for amirshim!
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #37
amirshim
amirshim doesn't litteramirshim doesn't litteramirshim doesn't litter

Device: irex iliad
4gb usb key should work.
amirshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:36 AM   #38
Gogolo
Addict

amirshim, if you have the time, could you look to the code once, if the problem with umlaute (öäü) in the beginning of words can be solved?

Every link beginning with a äöü like ägypten gives a error: AssertionError: cannot get article '\xc3\x84gypten'

Sometimes this happens even, when the umlaut is within the word, but sometimes not

Thanks for your work!
Gogolo
Old 05-28-2008, 02:45 AM   #39
Atk
Bla , Bla , Bla
Atk began at the beginning.

Device: N95 , Iliad (Not by Homer)
hI Tom , just to confirm , i have tried usb stick 4 gb and it works.
Following are some problems which i faced.
- you need to format usb with ext2 , now how you manage it if you are windows users like me this is another story
- when your usb stick is ext2 formated then your iliad does not recognize it like normal usb with FAT so always you have to mount it yourself which i handled by copying onescript with "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb -t ext2"
- thrild problem comes that when you use ext2 then linux permission gets applied so in first shot it does not work as phython directory etc. don't have execute permission so i manage that by "chmod 777 " etc. etc.
- though dillo is not liked by AdamB and other fellow but reality is it browse more smoothly than madori or minimo atleast for wikipedia ( or alteast my experience )
- last and not least , it is wonderfull to have wikipedia under my pillow :P
Atk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #40
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
I got it working too. Thanks for this really nice application amirshim
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #41
TomJones
TomJones began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atk View Post
hI Tom , just to confirm , i have tried usb stick 4 gb and it works.
Following are some problems which i faced.
- you need to format usb with ext2 , now how you manage it if you are windows users like me this is another story
- when your usb stick is ext2 formated then your iliad does not recognize it like normal usb with FAT so always you have to mount it yourself which i handled by copying onescript with "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb -t ext2"
- thrild problem comes that when you use ext2 then linux permission gets applied so in first shot it does not work as phython directory etc. don't have execute permission so i manage that by "chmod 777 " etc. etc.
- though dillo is not liked by AdamB and other fellow but reality is it browse more smoothly than madori or minimo atleast for wikipedia ( or alteast my experience )
- last and not least , it is wonderfull to have wikipedia under my pillow :P
Thank you very much for the detailed information. Its nice to hear someone has got it working from the USB drive-I ordered one of the tiny Kingston Data traveler Mini 4GB drives to use. I have already downloaded a Linux for Dummies eBook since to be honest I don't really know anything about the operating system, but the chance to have Wikipedia on the iliad provides a great incentive to learn. Thanks again for your help.
TomJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:42 AM   #42
amirshim

Delete this.

Delete this.

Last edited by amirshim; 05-29-2008 at 02:18 AM. Reason: How do you delete messages?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:49 AM   #43
amirshim

German Wikipedia - special chars fix

Gogolo,
I've never really had to deal with unicode, especially in python, but I think I might have a solution to your problem. But I don't have time to test it, so I guess you're my new beta tester

Anyway... download the following file, and replace the one in the "wiki/" directory with it. Update me (and the forum) on what happens.

http://pyoffwiki.googlecode.com/svn-...nk/wiki/web.py

-Amir
Old 05-29-2008, 04:16 AM   #44
Gogolo
Addict

Quote:
so I guess you're my new beta tester
I am pleased to be your beta tester.

And YES! it works just fine!!!

Thank you very much for your effort! Now german speaking users: Get your wikipedia on iLiad, its way cool

Greetings
Gogolo
Old 06-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #45
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Okay I just got my CF-card reader and fdisk'ed and makefs.ext'ed my 8GB CF-card.

I wondered why the CF card isn't mounted and found out that the default /etc/fstab is wrong. So i tried to make this "simple change" directly within mxrcvt.. It was a pain. I just couldn't do it. So I installed this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=46 ssh access package that is done pretty well. Just its named so badly, this is hardly an "unbrickable iliad now".

Okay CF mounts now, I played around with the wikipedia stuff and stop at following error.txt message:
Quote:
File "web.py", line 22, in <module>
db = bz2wiki.Bz2WikiDB(mainfilename)
File "/media/cf/wiki/bz2wiki.py", line 41, in __init__
self.cdb_file = seekbzip2.SeekableBzip2File(basefn+'.cdb.bz2',base fn+'.cdb.bzt')
File "/media/cf/wiki/seekbzip2.py", line 20, in __init__
self.init_table()
File "/media/cf/wiki/seekbzip2.py", line 34, in init_table
for line in open( self.table_filename ):
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '../wikidata/enwiki-20080312-pages-articles.xml.cdb.bzt'
Okay I'm stupid I forgot copy over the other wikidata file. I did this now, no error message. But also no wikipedia. The processor light just keeps blinking after I clicked the link in Wikipedia.html but nothing happens.

Strange enough If I point my normal notebook at the (the Iliads IP) 192.168.1.104:8080 I *DO* get a wikipedia! Seems to be a problem with the buildin browser then...

Oh it works now... strange.... but COOOOOOOLLLLLL!

Okay the buildin browser is a pain, I cannot normally search a single side, or select the search box... I'll have to install one of the other browsers... but not today anymore

Okay I installed dilo, definitely better than the default browser... but still everything extremely slow. And the scrollbar is almost out of the screen! Nor do the up/down buttons work at all. *Sigh* Iliad, its all so much beta ...its all so much slow... I fear in this state I cannot use it "to show off", since when I demonstrate it, I will likely tear my hair...

Last edited by axel77; 06-09-2008 at 08:01 PM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote