Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The different routers and reserving an address might explain a lot. Kobo mentioned a change to make reconnects faster. It might be that before 3.0.0, it renewed the DHCP lease everytime it connected. If they changed it to assume the last IP was still valid, then there might be problems. Different routers handle DHCP differently. Some will give the same address out to a device even if it is not reserved. But, some seem to always give out a new address.

I wonder how the length of the DHCP lease affects this? Maybe the device is not renewing it when it should.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I will admit that at home I always set up my router to have permanent DHCP leases for each device based on their MAC address.

I will try later on to see what happens on the Touch without such a reservation in place.

Also, I know that in past what seemed to help some people with connectivity issues was installing a WiFi hotspot program called Connectify Hotspot Lite (the free version) (http://www.connectify.me/ ) on a computer with WiFi and having it act as a hotspot just for the Kobo Device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #18
DrAtomic
DrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo Aura user here

Hey guys,

I've got an Aura and this has exactly the same issue. The common denominator here seems to be Kobo in combination with a Fritzbox.

If you go into your Fritzbox and set it to advanced and then look up the known WLAN devices and delete the MAC address of the Kobo device it will work WITHOUT reregistering the MAC address or at least without the Fritzbox showing the WLAN Mac Address as known.

The wierd thing is that after a reboot the Kobo still manages to get an WiFi connection without reregistering it's MAC, so maybe it fails to send out a propper arp request? Maybe it uses boot dhcp and is there an issue with that part of the implementation?

So there is clearly something wrong with the Kobo meets Fritzbox combination. Need to sniff the packets to see who is to blame, but that is up to Kobo to do imho.
DrAtomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo had made some changes in current f/w levels to speed up the establishment of WiFi sessions; unfortunately it appears to have issues ;-)

I know that my Glo has this issue IF I delete the statically assigned IP address in my router.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #20
DrAtomic
DrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of light

I've send the following to Kobo support (help@kobo.com):

Hey guys,

New Kobo Aura user here (as of today) and can't say it's been without issue.

I need to reboot (power off completly) my Aura in order for it to restore WiFi connectivity. This happens persistently after sleep mode or wifi disconnect (manual or automatic). The first connection is always succesfull.

After a bit of googling I found out that this is an cross platform Kobo issue with users of Fritzbox routers.

See this thread for more information and victims: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227574

FRITZ!Box Firmware
Version of the firmware currently installed: 58.04.84

What happens is that after recovery the Kobo Aura connects to the router succesfully but instantly disconnects. Confirmation below from the Fritzbox log:

Log entries of the Fritzbox:

16.01.14 01:04:41 WLAN station deregistered. Name: -, MAC address: 00:25:59:2D:00:00.

16.01.14 01:04:35 WLAN station registered. Name: -, IP address: 192.168.178.41, MAC address: 00:25:59:2D:00:00, throughput: 54 MBit/s.

16.01.14 01:04:09 WLAN station deregistered. Name: -, MAC address: 00:25:59:2D:00:00.

16.01.14 01:04:03 WLAN station registered. Name: -, IP address: 192.168.178.41, MAC address: 00:25:59:2D:00:00, throughput: 54 MBit/s.

16.01.14 01:03:53 WLAN station deregistered. Name: -, MAC address: 00:25:59:2D:00:00.

16.01.14 01:03:53 WLAN station registered. Name: -, IP address: 192.168.178.41, MAC address: 00:25:59:2D:00:00, throughput: 54 MBit/s.

Also on the Kobo Aura this can be visibly confirmed as it displays the WiFi connected icon (full strength pops up), immediately followed by a grey WiFi icon. Shortly there after the icon disappears completely and the Kobo Aura then displays "Something went wrong... Please try again."

Please fix this asap, a hotfix would be greatly appreciatted.

Cheers,
Advert
Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #21
DrAtomic

Note that on a registration after a cold reboot the log only shows a registration an no immediate deregistration.

16.01.14 01:28:28 WLAN station registered. Name: -, IP address: 192.168.178.41, MAC address: 00:25:59:2D:00:00, throughput: 54 MBit/s.

Succesfull sync

Manual wifi disable
16.01.14 01:32:54 WLAN station deregistered. Name: -, MAC address: 70:25:59:2D:22:71.

Ps Mac reservation or fixed IP or both dont seem to work for me as workaround.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #22
DrAtomic

Got a response (prompt enough and nice enough, good experience thus far into the process) stating it has been escalated to the Device and Apps department.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #23
ableeker
Enthusiast
ableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
This is the same as what I'm seeing in the Fritz!box 7360 ever since our Kobo's have been upgraded to 3.0: after being wakened from sleep, they registers and deregister exactly 6 seconds later, and the connection will fail. However, if I set up the router to always assign the same IP-addresses to the Kobo's, they will reconnect successfully.

This is a work-around of course, because it only solves the problem with our own wireless network. I do hope Kobo will be able to solve this problem with a new firmware.
ableeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #24
zweiundachtzig
zweiundachtzig began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo (N613)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAtomic View Post
Got a response (prompt enough and nice enough, good experience thus far into the process) stating it has been escalated to the Device and Apps department.
Thanks for submitting the problem to Kobo, and good to see such a response.
Then maybe I just had bad luck with their service
The only response that I got for my pretty detailed report was something along the line of "please make sure that the wifi is on" and after a second mail a "submit the problem to you ISP because we are not responsible if it only affects fritzboxes"
zweiundachtzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #25
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I confess that I just remain amused that someone thought naming an electronic appliance a "fritz-box" was a good idea
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 AM   #26
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It's even funnier that they appear to actually be "on the Fritz" at least when dealing with Kobos for the nonce...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #27
DrAtomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ableeker View Post
This is the same as what I'm seeing in the Fritz!box 7360 ever since our Kobo's have been upgraded to 3.0: after being wakened from sleep, they registers and deregister exactly 6 seconds later, and the connection will fail. However, if I set up the router to always assign the same IP-addresses to the Kobo's, they will reconnect successfully.

This is a work-around of course, because it only solves the problem with our own wireless network. I do hope Kobo will be able to solve this problem with a new firmware.
I'm currently on a Fritzbox 7340, on which the workaround doesnt work. I do however have a 7360 in a box here so I'll set that one up to be able to use the workaround.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #28
ableeker
Enthusiast
ableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of lightableeker is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The work-around works great here with our Kobo Glo and Aura HD, and I know it's working for some users from a German forum (lesen.net), but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for everybody. This bug doesn't affect all routers, and not only AVM routers, but it definitely has been introduced in firmware 3.0. Here's hoping Kobo will fix it soon.

The 7360 does everything I need in a home network device, it's even a Dect base station, but I've always hated the name. Great device, but do they really think I (or anybody) would seriously consider buying something called a FRITZ!Box?
ableeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #29
J_K
Enthusiast
J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: H2O 2, Aura 2, Clara HD, Touch
I have also found this using a new Kobo Touch (software 3.0.1).

If I turn off Wi-Fi, it will not reconnect when I turn it back on. I just get the 'Something went wrong' screen.

I have to power the Touch on and off to get Wi-Fi to work again. Then it works.

I have e-mailed Kobo help but, so far, only received a general 'try a factory reset' e-mail. I have followed up to say this didn't work.

My router is a BT Home Hub.
J_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 AM   #30
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Ok, it's becoming really really weird. At the end of December, I went on vacations for 3 days with my Kobo. When I*went back, for whatever reason, my Kobo suddenly started to connect to my Wifi without any trouble and without rebooting.

For one full month, I had no single issue.

Two days ago, it stopped working and I'm now back in the stat I*was before. This is really strange.

The only explanation I*see is that, before it stopped working, my kobo froze (it happens from time to time) and I had to reboot it with a long press on the power button.
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reboot, sync, wifi