Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
droid3p0
droid3p0 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
After conversion: pagebreaks after chapter headings

Gang,

I have a quick question (and this is my first post here, so go easy on me if I've done something wrong):

I tried converting several books with calibre, and each time the new version has a page break after the chapter heading. So, for example, the original copy of one of my ebooks has the chapter title, a small illustration, and the beginning of the chapter all on the same page, but the new version has the title and illustration on one page and the text on the next. It's not a huge deal, but I'm wondering if there's some way to fix this in calibre. To my knowledge, I have not fiddled with any of the default settings.

Thanks!

Last edited by droid3p0; 06-13-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: accidentally posted before I was finished typing my full post
droid3p0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I could be wrong but this sounds to me like one of the "flaws" in calibre's splitting logic during a conversion that I too have seen in virtually identical circumstances. I've never explicitly looked into it but it is my belief that calibre chooses to split when it sees an image before a heading tag, *regardless* of the fact that I have every split option turned off that I could find.

All I've been able to do in this circumstance is go back to the original and choose not to convert it in calibre, or else repair the damage in Sigil by merging each pair of pages together again (something that is dreadfully repetitive to do on a many chaptered book!).

Perhaps there is a secret setting I haven't found yet, or maybe it is just one of those hard-coded rules in the conversion pipeline. I'm sure Kovid or one of the other conversion gurus can comment...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply set the following three options and calibre will never insert page breaks:

1) Insert page breaks before under structure detection: /
2) Chapter mark: none
3) Make sure heuristics is off (off by default)

There are no hard coded page breaks in the conversion pipeline.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahhh chapter mark: None was the one I didn't have set, I shall try that, thanks.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
droid3p0

Thank you for taking a look at this, Mr. Goyal. Unfortunately, none of the solutions you presented solved the problem. I will take a look at Sigil method, whatever that might be.
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
kiwidude

@droid3po - you could try posting a bug report with the unconverted book as an attachment (mark the bug as private if commercial) and perhaps Kovid might be able to replicate the issue. I have intentions of doing the same the next time I see this happening but I don't happen to have an example of it to hand.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I see this happen now and then, and assuming you haven't enabled any of the functions that Kovid mentioned there is usually something in the CSS or book styles that cause Calibre to split the file at those breaks - i.e. the breaks were already there, but whatever source format you were using didn't render the breaks (most computer based viewers ignore them).

The simplest solution is to fix the source before converting in Calibre - it's a real pain to re-merge the chapters manually in Sigil. If the issue in source is in CSS then just fix the css beforehand - remove the page-break rule on the offending class. If it's actually embedded in the book source as an inline style you can use search/replace to remove the style.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
droid3p0

In Sigil, how do I find and remove the page breaks (or, for that matter, put one in if I wanted to)?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
kiwidude

@Idolse - I agree it may well have been a style at fault, it was one of those things that I only see happening maybe 1 in 100 books and have just got on with working around it rather than figuring out exactly the root cause was. Which was why if droid3p0 happened to have the original to hand we could perhaps confirm what happened in their case at least.

@droid3p0 - there is a forum dedicated to Sigil here on MobileRead. But the short answer is hit ctrl+enter to create a page break. And to join two pages back together you select the "following" page in the book browser on the left, right-click and choose "Merge" which will join it with the page above it. You can usually easily identify calibre created splits because they will stick out as _000 and _001 type of suffixes - in this case select the _001 file and right-click to merge it so it will be appended within the _000 file above it.

Tags
ipad