Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
rubyv
rubyv began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Talking Favorite reading app for the NOOK Color?

I'm not a fan of the stock B&N reader, so I decided to give Moon+ a try. For the life of me, I can not figure out how to view my books in "All Books", instead, I have to dig in the directory. Not cool. When I do open a book, after all that hunting, it looks great. Not loving the effort involved though.

So, what is your favorite reading app on the NC, and why?

I'm running 1.2, rooted with MN.
rubyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyv View Post
I'm not a fan of the stock B&N reader, so I decided to give Moon+ a try. For the life of me, I can not figure out how to view my books in "All Books", instead, I have to dig in the directory. Not cool. When I do open a book, after all that hunting, it looks great. Not loving the effort involved though.

So, what is your favorite reading app on the NC, and why?

I'm running 1.2, rooted with MN.
Why can't you just import your books? Are they on the SD card in /Books?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
rubyv
rubyv began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Why can't you just import your books? Are they on the SD card in /Books?
I have them on the main memory, since I was using the stock library. I finally got them to import, but it doesn't keep the calibre tags - it only keeps one tag per book, and it is random which it will be. Makes sorting by series, etc impossible.
rubyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyv View Post
I have them on the main memory, since I was using the stock library. I finally got them to import, but it doesn't keep the calibre tags - it only keeps one tag per book, and it is random which it will be. Makes sorting by series, etc impossible.
That's very peculiar. I haven't encountered the tag issue. All of my books have at least 2 tags. Moon+ recognizes all tags for each book without fail.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I use Moon+ almost exclusively and haven't seen this problem either. I can recommend emailing the programmer -- he always answers my emails promptly and politely.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I started using Moon+ and have not decided if I like it. I have the free version, so maybe that is why? I had to make a directory on my SD card (my files/books) and then locate it to find my books. Worked great but don't that it is hard to switch font, brightness, etc.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
My preference is to Coolreader. What I like is the ability to set up 9 separate tap zones with each zone also being able to set up a long press action. About the only thing they missed was allowing a tap to brighten or darken the screen.

You can double tap a word to go straight to dictionary, you can install TT fonts, haven't bothered yet.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbearjt08 View Post
I started using Moon+ and have not decided if I like it. I have the free version, so maybe that is why? I had to make a directory on my SD card (my files/books) and then locate it to find my books. Worked great but don't that it is hard to switch font, brightness, etc.
Here are some tips. From one of the main screens like My Shelf, press the menu button and then select About. Scroll down and you'll see what extra features the paid version has. You probably aren't missing much. When you are reading a book, press the menu button and then select the settings (gear) icon at the far right. Select Miscellaneous in the pop-up menu, and you can set scrolling at the left or right side of the page to easily increase/decrease font size and brightness.

If you don't like Moon+, then maybe you should try Aldiko. You might like it better. I haven't tried Coolreader yet.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Stupid question, but as I'm waiting for my newly-ordered nook color to arrive: Since the nook color now has access to the (or an) android app store, does the nook color have to be rooted in order to download and install alternative readers?
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
scarab1
scarab1 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm PDAs, ectaco jetBook, Nook Color
Anyone have experience using Moon+ to view .TXT files?

I tried and gave up as Page Down only moved a partial page and that seemed to vary in length each time I did it. Anyone else seen anything like that?

Thanks,

Steve
scarab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
Stupid question, but as I'm waiting for my newly-ordered nook color to arrive: Since the nook color now has access to the (or an) android app store, does the nook color have to be rooted in order to download and install alternative readers?
It does NOT have access to the full Android market, it's the "NOOK Market".

So YES it does have to be rooted to install a different reader.

On to the OP's question, I LOVE the stock reader. I use PV for comics, and Aldiko to download books from the cloud, and Astro to move them to the right folder for the stock library.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbearjt08 View Post
There's an option in Moon+ such that swiping your finger up/down the left side of the screen changes the brightness; swiping the right side of the screen changes the font size.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
Bobioden
Connoisseur
Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad rMini
I am having a problem with Moon+, I can locate my epubs on my SD. I import them, but when I go to open them I get a bunch of mumbo jumbo. Weird letters and the number 7 in a diamond. It is like it is encrypted. Any thoughts?

These are drm protected epubs that I purchased from the Sony Reader Store.
Bobioden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobioden View Post
I am having a problem with Moon+, I can locate my epubs on my SD. I import them, but when I go to open them I get a bunch of mumbo jumbo. Weird letters and the number 7 in a diamond. It is like it is encrypted. Any thoughts?

These are drm protected epubs that I purchased from the Sony Reader Store.
Moon+ doesn't read DRM'd stuff. Aldiko does.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
Bobioden
Connoisseur
Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad rMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Moon+ doesn't read DRM'd stuff. Aldiko does.
Then that explains it, thanks.
Bobioden is offline   Reply With Quote