Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
goodreader16
goodreader16 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
[Old Thread] Sorting folders by author/series/title

I'd like to set Calibre to sort my books in folders first by author (1 folder for each author), then by series (1 folder for each series by that author) and then by either series # if part of a series or just by title if not part of a series. But I cant figure out the template formula to use. Currently mine is set to:

{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index}/{title}/{authors} - {title}

and all it does is sort by author and then title. I've obviously messed up something. How do I adapt this to also sort by series?

TIA
goodreader16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodreader16 View Post
I'd like to set Calibre to sort my books in folders first by author (1 folder for each author), then by series (1 folder for each series by that author) and then by either series # if part of a series or just by title if not part of a series. But I cant figure out the template formula to use. Currently mine is set to:

and all it does is sort by author and then title. I've obviously messed up something. How do I adapt this to also sort by series?

TIA
It works for me with Save to Disk. Are you perhaps trying to change the Calibre Library structure? That's not possible. Use Save to Disk. You shouldn't touch the Library. The template is for naming files as they are exported from the Library.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

TIA
When you say "all it does is sort", what is "it"? If you are referring to your iPad, then it probably is getting metadata from the books, not from the folder structure. If you are referring to a file explorer, then refer to starson17's answer.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
goodreader16
goodreader16 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
No, I'm only asking about the file folder architecture on my computer not on any ereader (none of which can sort by much more than author or title). Under preferences, in the Add/Save section and "saving books" tab, there is an option to save a template:

Quote:
By adjusting the template below, you can control what folders the files are saved in and what filenames they are given. You can use the / character to indicate sub-folders. Available metadata variables are described below. If a particular book does not have some metadata, the variable will be replaced by the empty string.
I'd like to set the template to save books in folders by author AND series/series # as well as title.
goodreader16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
No, I'm only asking about the file folder architecture on my computer....
The settings apply to the "Save as..." (which should really be labeled "Export as...") for sending your book files to wherever you want them (an email, for instance).

Calibre's private library should be left private. Read my .sig.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
No, I'm only asking about the file folder architecture on my computer not on any ereader (none of which can sort by much more than author or title).
You can't change the structure of calibre's library/database via any built-in template, preference or setting.

Quote:
Under preferences, in the Add/Save section and "saving books" tab, there is an option to save a template: I'd like to set the template to save books in folders by author AND series/series # as well as title.
This template will save the books as you describe when you use the save to disk feature to export books and save them outside of calibre's library.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-05-2010 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Clarified "can't change"
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:52 AM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You can't change the structure of calibre's library/database...
Actually, you can, but you will lose your entry on calibre when you do. The best thing to do is ignore calibre's library and access your books directly through calibre.

The hardest thing newbies to calibre have accepting is to abandon using the traditional folder/filename tree system of organizing books. Books can be sorted in many more ways than folder/filename trees are capable of so calibre uses tags, or metadata, to provide search terms for searches or sorts.

If the way calibre files your books makes you nervous (which is understandable) or you wish to retain your original file structure in case you may want to abandon calibre for another program (also understandable), you can either keep your original files with your folder/filename structure in a separate folder (which I admit to doing) or have calibre save your books to a separate folder with the filename structure you want.

I go a step further than most calibre users and hide the folders my calibre libraries are in so I or someone else will not be tempted to mess with them, either accidentally or on purpose.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I go a step further than most calibre users and hide the folders my calibre libraries are in so I or someone else will not be tempted to mess with them, either accidentally or on purpose.
That is a fine idea -- a nice reminder not to touch. Reminders are good...
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
That is a fine idea -- a nice reminder not to touch. Reminders are good...
Especially at my age!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:20 AM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:

TIA
Specify a name of a series in the metadata for the book, and it will work fine when you save to disk or to device.

If the book doesn't belong to a series, then both /{series} and /{series_index} will be ignored.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:36 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote:
You can't change the structure of calibre's library/database ...
Actually, you can, but you will lose your entry on calibre when you do. The best thing to do is ignore calibre's library and access your books directly through calibre.
You are of course correct, but the context of this answer was in response to the OP talking about using templates to change the structure. I went back and clarified this point so I don't confuse anyone.

Thanks for stating the obvious.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
You are of course correct, but the context of this answer was in response to the OP talking about using templates to change the structure. I went back and clarified this point so I don't confuse anyone.

Thanks for stating the obvious.
One of the best pieces of advice I received for writing memos, etc., came from an otherwise useless boss I once had: assume the person who will be reading what you are writing is an idiot. To put it far more politely, never assume someone knows anything about what you are writing. All too often, there may be a hole in that person's otherwise vast knowledge that will come back and swallow you up. And yes, that's easier said than done.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Ichijiteki
Ichijiteki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Why isn't this done in a simple and obvious way? I've been reading about it for hours and nothing has worked for me
Ichijiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichijiteki View Post
Why isn't this done in a simple and obvious way? I've been reading about it for hours and nothing has worked for me
Did you read the Sticky about Calibre internal Folders?

If you are inquiring about your device:
It is obvious when you know where to look

Calibre has to work with:
3 types of OS.
??? many reading devices
2.8 Million user quirks (you make it 2.8 Million and 1 )

There is examples in the Template Save to... areas.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichijiteki View Post
Since you have reopened an old thread and chose not to share with us exactly what your problem is you might benefit from reading this thread.