Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Firmware

So the blond in me is asking...what is firmware, and is Sony's really that bad?
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
A firmware is an update of the internal software. It does not mean that Sony is bad, just that after release they might have discovered some issues and they try to correct it through a firmware update.
I would be worried the there was a firmware update every two weeks (Microsoft, anyone?!). Every company does that, every once in a while. Mercedes-Benz call their customers for an update of their control unit, Garmin does that to their GPS receivers, Nikon does it for their cameras, and the list can go on. All these are prestigious companies; having an update does not mean they are bad; I take this as a good sign, because it shows that the company (be it Mercedes, Garmin, Nikon or Sony) is commited to their customers, and try to keep them happy.

Would you be happier if there was a problem with your device and the company didn't even bother to fix it?
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Well, and the 600 has had only one bug fix in that firmware update as well.

So far, I've usually found Sony's reader software to be one of the more stable and refined out of the gate (talking about the device, not the desktop app). Sure, there are things I'd change, but the thought put into it and the testing are usually pretty solid. The only bug I've encountered on any Sony Reader was the first sign-in on the Sony Store on my 900 caused an error, but it has worked pretty flawlessly since as long as I have decent signal.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Well, and the 600 has had only one bug fix in that firmware update as well."

How do you know when there's an update? What bug r u talking about? Thank goodness I'm not a cat, curiosity would have done me in long ago, lol!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

Mistake

Last edited by emonti8384; 01-18-2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: dummyhead old me!
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was posted back in August, so odds are if you bought after then, you already have the firmware. But you can always go to the Sony site, select the Drivers/Software section under Support -> Electronics and enter in your device's model number. It will take you to any firmware updates available for your device.

It is a bit... non-intuitive, but again, this partly a reason to get it right in the first place.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #7
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

Okay. I read things about firmeware that makes the reader do certain things, like for the pocket edition there's one that makes buttons 7&8 turn the pages, and I think I saw one that allowed you to be able to view the time on the bottom. How do I know which one is which and what they will do differently than what is on there now?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

You are starting to talk about custom firmware, rather than official firmware.

So what is going on is that some people want extra functionality on their devices, so they muck around with the firmware to add what they want, and release it out for others to try.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
How do I fnd out on the PRS 600, what firmware version I have at the moment?
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
How do I fnd out on the PRS 600, what firmware version I have at the moment?
Appologies, I found it in the About menu.
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote