Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Calibre and every other sentence out of order

About a quarter of the books (Pdf's) I send to my kindle e-mail with "convert" in the subject line get formatted well by amazon but the contrast is horrible.

Weird thing, the same books that are poorly contrasted via personal document sending, when converted in Calibre get formatted wrong (Every other sentence is out of order) but the contrast is good.

What I've been doing is sending them via personal document service, then taking them off my kindle and have Calibre correct the contrast. Too many steps, anyone have a recipe or tip for Calibre to get the sentence order right?
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
One of my cats is named Bounce

Moderator Notice
Moved to conversions

See the sticky above. PDF conversion is problematical at best

Contrast? Pictures or Text
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Noticed there was a "conversion" forum after the fact. Thanks for the bounce to the appropriate area, and tell your cat hi.

It's the contrast of the text that's horrible (via send to kindle e-mail address with convert in subject). Read about Calibre's problems with pdf, was just hoping there was a fix in settings that helped the paragraph structure problem I've run into.
Calibre formats paragraphs from these pdf (300 from a series I'm converting) like below in quotes.
Sentence three should be sentence two, sentence four should be three, etc. It replaces every other sentence like that throughout the whole text:

"time makes the good old days look good, no? In thinking about the recent battles over
much about space, so space doesn't get funded. Back in the Apollo days, people loved
NASA's budget, it seems like the problem is simply citizen support. People don't care that the space program! A majority of Americans opposed the government funding human trips to the moon both before (July 1967) and after (April 1970) Neil Armstrong took a giant leap for mankind."
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You might try using Mobipocket Creator first to get an HTML file and look at the resulting output in a browser to see if and how things are messed up.

Some people will take that HTML, feed it into Sigil to get an epub, then to calibre for conversion after any problems are cleaned up.

The intermediate HTML code, if you are not uncomfortable reading the source, may show you that instead of black text, the PDF is calling for gray or green or some other color which does not display well.

Each line is specified at a specific place on the page in PDF, information which is not so easily processed to make sure line follows line when you convert it to an ebook format which is designed to NOT be tied down to a specific space so the text can be resized.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am guessing big time here.

The text as a gray color specified that calibre honored (viewing the style sheet should confirm there is a color:#nnn specified in the styles for body text)

Someone took great pains to 'page' layout text in a way that thwarts simple conversion.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert