Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #106
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
That's odd - I've only added sideloaded ePub (newsfeeds) to the shelves and they stick.

Someone else mentioned he can't add PDFs. Have you tried that?
Well, it gets odder... after the first test, I removed the books from the Shelf to delete it. Now, I tried to create another one and add only sideloaded ePubs but cannot because the "create" button remains greyed out no matter what I do.

One other difference is that now, when I go back from this failed attempt at creating a shlef, I still have the shelf options in the Library menu.

I remember another think that struck me as not really practical: I only have the choice of displaying books sorted by title when in shelf creation mode.

I think I'll wait until this gets more refined or the feature is officially delivered before playing with it again.

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #107
omthalamos
omthalamos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
1st off, I'd like to thank you guys for the work you are putting in this! I found this stuff a few days ago when I decided to start taking a look at the Kobo source to see if what I could mess around with, and this stuff is awesome!

2nd, has anyone got the toolchain working on a Mac? (10.5.8 specifically) I don't seem to be able to get it compiling properly... I'd love to help coding if possible, but I'm fine QA'ing too

3rd: bugs. Here's what I've found on the latest (from #85):
- Installing/Updating is still somewhat... messy? tricky? hit/miss? anyway, Uncompressing to the .kobo dir doesn't seem to work for me nicely... however, moving the zip over directly did work for a while, but updating is still hit/miss. I've found that using tar to recompress as a .tgz then putting that on worked best, and seems to update all the time properly. Then it seems to pick up the updated plugin properly.
- Updating the .ini file, you have to restart the device after doing any change to the ini. so power off, power on, library, then the ini changes seem to work.
- I also had some fiddling around with trying to get the new plugin updated with the .ini updating at the same time, and I ended up having to remove the .ini, update via .tgz, then it seemed to work nicely.
- Shelves. Adding to shelves seems to show _every_ epub on the device, including the Kobo "previews", "recomended for you", "for sale", etc, _and_ all the side loaded ones. For me, there were 10+ pages of "kobo store stuff" on top of my 2/3 pages, so it's harder to find things to add to shelves.
- Shelves p2. if you go into a shelf, then go out, the "custom menu" is not there anymore, then if you go back to library, it shows up again...

Anyway, loving the changes, keep up the awesome work!

Omthalamos.
omthalamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #108
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by omthalamos View Post
2nd, has anyone got the toolchain working on a Mac? (10.5.8 specifically) I don't seem to be able to get it compiling properly... I'd love to help coding if possible, but I'm fine QA'ing too
I'm developing in a linux vm as that's probably the easiest solution. It might be possible to get the codesourcery arm toolchain to on osx, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omthalamos View Post
- Updating the .ini file, you have to restart the device after doing any change to the ini. so power off, power on, library, then the ini changes seem to work.
Well, at least my goal is to build a gui for all settings so manually editing ini files won't be necessary. Most of the work is already done and is online in the "settings-rework" branch at github. All thats left is adding a few more pages and checkboxes, but at the moment I don't have the time to finish it.
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #109
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
I remember another think that struck me as not really practical: I only have the choice of displaying books sorted by title when in shelf creation mode.
A "dream" would be to be able to sort them by recent reads, title and author (and maybe file type, too).

Also a menu item "add to shelf/remove from shelf" in the book's menu (like the shortlist menu entry) would be fantastic.

Edit: For some reason the list when editing a shelf was sorted by recent reads this time unlike the last 3 times). I didn't do something other than I used to do (and had sorted my library by recent reads every time). So... well... no idea...

Last edited by Jaden; 02-04-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #110
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I might be out to lunch here, but remember, all that the plugin is doing is exposing functionality from the base Kobo code; so things like sorting are up to the Kobo executable and not to the plugin itself.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #111
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I might be out to lunch here, but remember, all that the plugin is doing is exposing functionality from the base Kobo code; so things like sorting are up to the Kobo executable and not to the plugin itself.
Well, since some Kobo Devs are reading here, too, I thought it was a good place to put the comments (not only about the bugs experienced but also about what would be nice to have).
Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #112
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Well, since some Kobo Devs are reading here, too, I thought it was a good place to put the comments (not only about the bugs experienced but also about what would be nice to have).
There is a sticky https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139965, a very long thread on that very subject.

I think it would be nice to have firmware that just works, for everyone.

Last edited by volpo; 02-04-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added URL
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #113
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
There is a sticky https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139965, a very long thread on that very subject.

I think it would be nice to have firmware that just works, for everyone.
I know that thread and have posted there, too.

But that's a long and general thread and this is specific to the shelves, a functionality that's already there, just hidden.

Plus there hasn't been an answer to the request thread in quite a while, unlike here. And I thought it would be confusing for some people to discuss the shelves in the other thread since it's not an official part of the Kobo firmware (yet - hopefully...).

Last edited by Jaden; 02-04-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #114
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
A fascinating thread--but it ended abruptly on Feb. 4. Did all the posts migrate to some other forum?
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #115
HubbaDubbaDubba
HubbaDubbaDubba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post
A fascinating thread--but it ended abruptly on Feb. 4. Did all the posts migrate to some other forum?
I was throughly enjoying it as well. I confess I haven't used the plugins by myself, given that they were being developed on 1.9.16 and I have kept my kobo touch on 1.9.14, but nevertheless I think some great features and tweaks were being developed here.
HubbaDubbaDubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #116
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post
I asked myself the same question. It also happened just after some people from Kobo wrote in this thread.

What ! No, I 'm not paranoid !!!!!!!

Last edited by vlad59; 02-14-2012 at 07:30 AM.
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 AM   #117
ikarus9999
Connoisseur
ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

No the development is just on hold a little bit as I'm quite busy at the moment.
ikarus9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #118
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
... and I keep using the plugin whether there is activity on this thread or not!
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #119
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
I'm happy to say that I am enjoying the 2nd to last iteration (had some trouble with the most recent one). It has changed the way I use my KT. I no longer shut it off but just let it sleep, that way the plugin is persistent.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #120
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

It's the same with me, I don't have much free time at the moment. Hopefully that will be different next week, and there are already some nice things in the repository which are not yet in any binary build.
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote