Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #61
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I believe we have agreed that there will be no change in how the edit function works. There is no reason for this to turn to personal attacks on either side of the question. I think it is likely time to end this discussion, ok?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:58 AM   #62
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Wow! Thanks for all the informative replies everyone. I had no idea that my post would spawn so much discussion. Clearly the consensus is to leave the edit button alone. It's obviously used for reasons that I had never considered. That works for me. In the rare case where someone once again self-destructs their thread, I will complain politely in their general direction.

Last edited by Halo; 07-10-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: It felt like the right thing to do. :-)
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:22 AM   #63
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
This thread isn't about whose posts are most "interesting," nor is it about anyone's "looking to be read." It's about whether posts should be editable, as they are in virtually every other forum.

So far, it has been generally agreed that people should be able to edit their posts. You may disagree if you like, but it isn't your place tell me personally when and how to edit my posts -- particularly when the subject is everyone's ability to edit.

Some people care about mistakes and others do not. If you're of the school that doesn't, then good for you. But the policy we have now allows some not to edit themselves and others to edit as they please. The opposite would forbid everyone to do what didn't happen to suit some of us.

I'm afraid I have not expressed myself properly, sorry. I'm not against editing a post, I use this function quite often myself and I don't wish to have it changed or disabled. What I am opposing are certain arguments pro editing and certain uses of this function. In my mind, they simply feel wrong. And I would feel to be dishonest if I would change a post that somebody already has answered to.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #64
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Please leave editing alone!! Sometimes I don't see my typo UNTIL someone has quoted me. I hate to leave a bunch of fat-fingered errors lying about.

Really, if a post has been deleted, it is not intended to be read. The writer changed her mind. I had to delete a post on another forum last week because someone mistook it for promo (I was talking about covers--not MY covers--but made the mistake of linking to my blog for the example covers where I had done the original thoughts.) Apparently my misdeed started some lady's pants on fire and at that point, deleting it before a flame war started seemed the best thing to do.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #65
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I believe we have agreed that there will be no change in how the edit function works. There is no reason for this to turn to personal attacks on either side of the question. I think it is likely time to end this discussion, ok?

Dale
Oh, sorry, I hadn't read this when I replied. Well, just log me for a vote for: Good call.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #66
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
To the person who complained of "personal attacks": Pointing out that no one has the right to tell me how to use the edit function is not a personal attack. Had I maligned Billi's character or unstated motives (as mine had been unintentionally), you might have had a point. But the irony is that I *have* been attacked in precisely that way on mobileread and no one suggested the thread on which this occurred had run its course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I'm afraid I have not expressed myself properly, sorry. I'm not against editing a post, I use this function quite often myself and I don't wish to have it changed or disabled. What I am opposing are certain arguments pro editing and certain uses of this function. In my mind, they simply feel wrong. And I would feel to be dishonest if I would change a post that somebody already has answered to.
It's more reasonable to phrase the idea in terms of your own use and feelings about the meaning of an edit. We can talk about that because then no one is prescribing behavior.

The idea that editing = dishonesty has always struck me as curious. I would compare compulsive editing to the application of makeup. Some women refuse to be seen without makeup, while others never wear it at all. I could make any number of ad hominem arguments about which approach is normative, but in the end, it's not my business to tell anyone else how much makeup to wear, just as it would be wrong of me to project negative attributes on a woman who made either choice. Every person is unique and, therefore, so are their choices.

For me, extensive editing is a moral decision based on the belief in writing as well as I can, just as your choice seems rooted in the idea that spontaneity is the key to honesty. I disagree in the sense that a thoughtless comment can be less honest than a considered one, but I would never ascribe negative traits to someone else simply because their editing style and aims were different from mine.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote