Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Library Software Locks Up

I'm the proud new owner of a PRS-505 in silver, almost 18 hours now.

I carefully followed the quick start guide: plugged in the Reader with the USB cable, inserted the CD, installed the eBook Library software, restarted, installed the user manual, registered my book.

I started up the eBook Library software (is that what it is called?) and it told me there was a firmware update and did I want to install it. I chose "yes" and locked up the program for about 4.5 hours. Then the update seemed to go through, but when I tried to browse the Sony eBook store, using the library software, my entire computer locked up and I had to force a hard shutdown.

It was after midnight, so I went to bed.

This morning, I started up my computer again, plugged it all back in, and started up the eBook Library and it tells me there is a software update, for the Library, and do I want to download it? I choose yes and everything is locked up again.

I checked on it about a half hour later (getting ready to leave for work) and there is a window that says, "Update Complete", but it refuses to close and I end up having to do another hard shutdown.

(My hard shutdown is Ctrl-Alt-Delete, then ending each open task. After I close the library, I lose the desktop completely and the only way to do anything is by shutting it down with the power button.)

I'll see what happens when I get home tonight, and I may even try letting the computer sit for a little bit after I connect to make sure that the "auto image download" programs aren't what is making the Reader software hang up. (They also hang up, while the eBook Library is locked up, and I have to close them individually through the Task Manager.)

I just wanted to pop in and see if anybody has any ideas/suggestions/experiences that would help me.

Thanks!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
This morning, I started up my computer again, plugged it all back in, and started up the eBook Library and it tells me there is a software update, for the Library, and do I want to download it? I choose yes and everything is locked up again.
This is the first time I've heard of eBook library locking up so much. What OS are you using XP or Vista? Have you added the eBook Libray to you list of DEP exceptions? Or set your DEP to only run for Windows programs.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm running Windows XP. I don't know what a DEP exception is?

I'm also plugged in through a USB hub, rather than directly to the USB port on the computer. Would that be causing some sort of connection issue? It is a 2.0 hub and I'm not sure whether or not my port is 2.0.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I'm running Windows XP. I don't know what a DEP exception is?

I'm also plugged in through a USB hub, rather than directly to the USB port on the computer. Would that be causing some sort of connection issue? It is a 2.0 hub and I'm not sure whether or not my port is 2.0.
I don't think a HUB would cause a problem. I always used mine with a hub. Does the library software work fine with the Sony is NOT connected to the PC? Lets establish that first.

You can get to DEP buy clicking Start, then Right Click on MyComputer and select properties. Then go to that Advanced Tab... then click the performance settings button. Then select the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) tab. Make sure it is set to the top radio button. If not, click the ADD... button and navigate to the Sony eBook Library software and select the .exe file.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
sakura-panda
Guru

Thanks! I will try that when I get home tonight.
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
sakura-panda
Guru

Well, I went ahead and started the eBook Library without plugging in my device. It asked if I wanted to update the software, and I said yes. I got some kind of a registry error after the installation was finished, but I was still able to open up the program, connect my Reader, authorize it, and "purchase" a half-dozen of my free Classics.

I'm downloading them now and we'll see how that goes. I'm not sure what happened before but it seems to be okay now.

I did not do the DEP thing; I'm going to wait and see how this goes.

Thanks so much for your help and encouragement!
Old 12-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
zurich2006
zurich2006 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 550
So Heplful

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This is the first time I've heard of eBook library locking up so much. What OS are you using XP or Vista? Have you added the eBook Libray to you list of DEP exceptions? Or set your DEP to only run for Windows programs.

BOb
Thanks BOB- I was losing my mind- but your method saved me - thanks so much
zurich2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
annieapples
annieapples began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Hi I have been a member, lurker of this forum for a year now, and never got around to posting, probably because I havent really had any problems with my 505, .............. until I upgraded to Win 7 OS and of course my reader software wouldn't work! I tried everything, to no avail.
I came here hoping there was a fix and here it is adding eBook Library software to the DEP list worked! Thank you so much pilotbob you really are a wizard Big hugs to you!
annieapples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:40 AM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, annieapples and zurich2006 I'm glad you came out of lurk mode! Go on over to the "Introduce Yourself" forum and start a thread so we can welcome you properly.

I'm glad you were able to find the solution to your problem. That's what so great about the members here. Everyone is willing to help by sharing ideas.

Last edited by dreams; 01-02-2010 at 01:41 AM. Reason: add link
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote