Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
davey
davey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, IRex DR1000S
Sir Walter Scott's "The Pirate" - why not available in e-format?

Beats me where to ask this question, but I'll try here.

I've been working my way through Scott's Waverley novels. As with most of the classics, these are available for free or for a trifling sum in collections from numerous places.

But "The Pirate" isn't available anywhere. Not at Project Gutenberg or any of the other free sites, and it's oddly missing from the collections of his works. It is available in print.

The book was written over 180 years ago, so you wouldn't think there'd be a copyright issue, but I can't figure out any other reason for it not being available, unless all of these e-versions of the classics are using PG as their source material and PG hasn't gotten around to it for some reason.

Any ideas why this book isn't available?

Last edited by davey; 12-02-2008 at 01:49 PM.
davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Either nobody has converted it, or it is in process at PG USA. (The PG USA methodology takes about 2 years now to get a book thru...) Remember, this is all volunteer labor, and not all books in the public domain have been converted.

You could break out a scanner and have a go, yourself. (I've add 5 books to PG US and PG Australia.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I’m no expert on Scott, and can’t find anything called “The Pilot.”
Might you mean “The Pirate” (1821), which is one of the Waverley novels?
If so, it is available at The Internet Archive:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...iatype%3Atexts
but will be in pdf, djvu and error-filled text files made from scans.

There’s a Scott Bibliography here:
http://www.walterscott.lib.ed.ac.uk/works/index.html
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Ak Mike
Enthusiast
Ak Mike doesn't litterAk Mike doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX; Motorola Xoom
"Mistaking my instructions, which within my brain did gyrate,
I took and bound this promising boy apprentice to a pirate.
A sad mistake it was to make and doom him to a vile lot.
I bound him to a pirate -- you! -- instead of to a pilot."
Ak Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:56 AM   #5
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mike View Post
"Mistaking my instructions, which within my brain did gyrate,
I took and bound this promising boy apprentice to a pirate.
A sad mistake it was to make and doom him to a vile lot.
I bound him to a pirate -- you! -- instead of to a pilot."
Brilliant!

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 AM   #6
davey
davey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, IRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I’m no expert on Scott, and can’t find anything called “The Pilot.”
Might you mean “The Pirate” (1821), which is one of the Waverley novels?
If so, it is available at The Internet Archive:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...iatype%3Atexts
but will be in pdf, djvu and error-filled text files made from scans.

There’s a Scott Bibliography here:
http://www.walterscott.lib.ed.ac.uk/works/index.html
Thanks, you're correct. The Pilot is by Cooper. Still don't understand why The Pirate is missing from Gutenberg and the various Scott collections when all the other Waverley novels, and all his other works, seem to be included. Thanks again for the link!
davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Google Books has it --the .pdf is fine but I suspect it just an image, the text file looks like it would need editing.

http://www.archive.org/details/pirate00scogoog
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
by W.S. Gilbert. Brilliant Indeed. (From The Pirates of Penzance, of course.)

Speaking of G&S, this limerick by Isaac Asimov has always amused me:

There once was a curious Persian
Who had an unusual perversion
He thought that the part
That was words was by Art
And was sure that the tunes were Gilbertian

(from memory, so perhaps not word-for-word).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
Brilliant!

/JB
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote