Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
atanner
atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Tax questions for non-US authors

Hello All,

I was wondering how non-US based authors deal with the US "withheld tax" issue when you sell your books via Amazon...

Questions:

1) If you are in the UK/Europe...isn't it just possible to limit your sales to all domains EXCEPT amazon.com (thus amazon.de, .co.uk, .it, .es) and make your books available ONLY via European channels? If this would be so, are there other tax issues you have to deal with (as an EU resident) if you only make your books available via European Amazon sites or is it just a matter of paying your local taxes, VAT and that's it?

2) Has anybody here ever gotten past the red tape of getting your US taxes back? I say this, because the way I understand it...every time you sell a book on amazon.com, if you are not in the US, you just lost 30% of your revenue...which is of course, undesirable...

Thanks
atanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
You need to get an ITIN (if you're an individual) or EIN (if you're a business). The latter apparently just requires a phone call, the former requires a huge amount of bureaucracy for many people.

Where are you living? You mentioned the UK, and from what I understand, you can just go to the US Embassy in London with your passport and the forms to get an ITIN rather than having to mail your passport to America.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm trying to deal with this at the moment too. I'm in Australia. Australia does have a tax treaty with the U.S. which means the income is not supposed to be double-taxed. So I have the choice of registering for an ITIN (and Amazon etc. will still withhold 5% for Australian's anyway - maybe it's because we were once a convict colony), OR I can just let them withhold the full 30% and show it on my tax return at the end of the year, in which case (if I understood my accountant properly), the withheld amount shows as tax already paid and so it should all come out in the wash (so to speak).

The other side of all that is that, in Australia, income from hobbies are not (in certain circumstances) taxable (and so the expenses are not deductible). So while the income remains small it may have been feasible not to declare it ... except for this aspect of Amazon (and Smashwords etc.) withholding tax and making life complicated again.

See the recent "BookBaby experiences" thread for discussion there about the fact that BookBaby does not withhold tax or require an ITIN (but they do require that you pay for their services).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I wrote about how I got my ITIN on my blog: http://russellphillips.wordpress.com...nt-pay-us-tax/

It's a convoluted process, but I didn't have any real problems.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
See the recent "BookBaby experiences" thread for discussion there about the fact that BookBaby does not withhold tax or require an ITIN (but they do require that you pay for their services).
If you distribute via BookBaby and include Amazon in the outlets where your books will appear, you can still get Amazon's 70% royalty deal. This means that it's really down to how many copies you expect to sell in the US.

It's all a bit academic for me: the US tax I would recover by going up to the embassy to get an ITIN would not pay for the train fare.

Last edited by MartinC; 11-08-2012 at 11:18 AM.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Just charge extra for the American ones. There's a section on the UK tax form for foreign income that has already been taxed at source. You might need to ask for that page if you are on the short form.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
atanner
atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Funny but, you can use the Amazon European platform (which would be exactly what I am looking for) for selling EVERYTHING....except.....e-Books??? The ONLY way to sell eBooks right now, is via the .com platform...

How is it possible that out of ALL companies, A-M-A-Z-O-N doesn't allow you to sell books for kindle from the UK/Europe???....but you can sell your old shoes, a new paper book, or some face cream!?!?!.....

Hopefully they change their policy and have a REAL European platform from which Europeans can sell through, without having to go through hoops...
atanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Gina Rossi
Gina Rossi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ITIN applications

The ITIN application is dead easy. I needed a letter from my USA publisher to confirm that I am published by The Wild Rose Press. Secondly I needed a validated copy of my passport. Take your passport to the highest Home Affairs authority in the land eg. if you are a British citizen living abroad, take your passport to the local British Consul. He will copy it, validate it, and verify that he is verified to validate it (I know, hey?). Complete your ITIN form without using any abbreviations, enclose your passport copy, publisher's letter and airmail it off. I waited 4 weeks and hey presto, ITIN number!
Gina Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
PainMike
the Gusto Gargoyle
PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy A5
If having a tax treaty with U.S; after receiving the ITIN, you type it into W8-BEN form, warranting your foreign status. It is usually sent to the U.S. company you are paid from and should be also found from their pages, from IRS pages at least. W8-BEN is due update every 3rd year if I'm remember correctly.
PainMike is offline   Reply With Quote