Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #31
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
With regard to the select char->entity substitution not working on Windows platforms:

The following modifications to the "src/Sigil/ResourceObjects/HTMLResource.cpp" file would seem to remedy that. I've only been able to test it (in an admittedly very limited fashion) on the Windows and Linux platforms (my OS X dev machine is misbehaving ATM), but no adverse affects thus far from simply using the UTF-8 hex representation of the characters in place of of the "\uXXXX" unicode codepoint.
Good catch!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Good catch!
Don't get too excited. SInce I'm not very familiar with the codebase, I may have just moved the problem somewhere else.

I believe \uXXXX is the preferred way of handling unicode in strings in C/C++/Java, but it sure seems like Microsoft's compiler doesn't like it in this particular case. The hex representations may cause issues, but I doubt it since they're single* unicode codepoints being sought out... in a decidedly utf-8 encoded document. It might be different if you were searching for "fa\u00e7ade" vs "fa\xc3\x87ade"

* Yes, I know unicode codepoints/graphemes may not be single "characters."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-21-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #33
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
The hex representations may cause issues, but I doubt it since they're single* unicode codepoints being sought out... in a decidedly utf-8 encoded document.
But the document could be utf-16 encoded, couldn't it?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But the document could be utf-16 encoded, couldn't it?
The original source could possibly be utf-16, but at the point the entity substitution happens, Sigil seems to have already homogenized everything to utf-8 (that's an assumption based on the presence of the "QString::fromUtf8" function). Still... it could pose a problem if Sigil does (or chooses to in the future) preserve the underlying utf-8/16-ness of a document. Right now, though, it seems that portion of Sigil's code is confidently expecting utf-8. *shrugs*

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-21-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #35
paulhypno
paulhypno began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have a problem that is worse with the latest betas:

When working in book view and I want to edit the code I highlight roughly the lines or just place my cursor at the point where I want to work. However when I then switch to Code View I am taken to the very beginning of the document so I've lost my place.

Similarly, when I've done editing in Code View and switch back to Book View I'm again taken to the start of the document.

It's making it so difficult to work with and it wasn't like this in the non-beta version (although it was always a bit flaky when switching views)

I'm in 0.5.902 (although the About still says 0.5.901 - not worried about that though)

Last edited by paulhypno; 06-22-2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: add information
Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #36
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
There is no syncing of the cursor between views anymore.

The plan is to leave the cursor where you left it in the specific view (if possible). So if you edit in CV and then switch to BV and move around, when you switch to CV again your cursor should be where you left it.

Unfortunately, the cursor position in BV is not working right at this time but will hopefully be fixed before release.

Alternatively you can highlight some text in BV and type Ctrl-F, then after switching to CV type Ctrl-G to find the text. Of course, you need to select text that doesn't have any formatting codes in it and have to have your Find & Replace set to current file, etc. so its not great - but its available if you want to use it.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #37
paulhypno
paulhypno began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Many thanks for speedy, helpful comments>

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
There is no syncing of the cursor between views anymore.
I assume there is a reason for this? I do realise that Sigil isn't a "belt and braces" word processor or html editor but it is otherwise so good, and it IS designed to edit documents so this problem is a big negative.

Am I right in thinking that it used to be possible? If so then it's a retrograde move. Please see next comment for what it means in practice:

Quote:
So if you edit in CV and then switch to BV and move around, when you switch to CV again your cursor should be where you left it.
Yes but if I want to see the Book View effect of my Code View editing, and maybe switch back because I haven't got it right, I can't do this. As soon as I switch to Book View I am at the top of the document again. OK the cursor is always where I left it (should I want to return) but that's not the problem.

Quote:
Alternatively you can highlight some text in BV and type Ctrl-F, then after switching to CV type Ctrl-G to find the text...
Yes I've had to do this but I have a big plea for a real solution. Thanks
Old 06-23-2012, 04:08 AM   #38
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Yes but if I want to see the Book View effect of my Code View editing, and maybe switch back because I haven't got it right, I can't do this. As soon as I switch to Book View I am at the top of the document again. OK the cursor is always where I left it (should I want to return) but that's not the problem.
I totally agree
Old 06-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #39
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The cursor positioning in Book View is broken at the moment. When fixed the cursor in BV will be where you left it when you return to BV from CV.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #40
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
The cursor positioning in Book View is broken at the moment. When fixed the cursor in BV will be where you left it when you return to BV from CV.
I really wanted to try the beta, but I was wasting so much time finding my place in BV after making a change in CV, that I gave up. I'll wait patiently for the fix (or the final).
Old 06-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #41
Zeypxi
Zeypxi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I really wanted to try the beta, but I was wasting so much time finding my place in BV after making a change in CV, that I gave up. I'll wait patiently for the fix (or the final).
Same here. Spell checking fix and cursor sync would be great. And can we remove the not so special characters from the Special Characters menu (if it's not too much asked).

Cheers, thank you for all the work.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #42
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I take it that this will re-enable the Sigilsplit button in BV? (The #1 most used feature of BV that I use.) It is a real pain to find the same place in CV , Where Sigil split does work.
BTW 'Insert Chapter Marker' still works after I fixed the shortcut, which had changed from Ctrl-Shift-Enter to Ctrl-Shift-Return (which does not exist on a Win Keyboard)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #43
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BTW 'Insert Chapter Marker' still works after I fixed the shortcut, which had changed from Ctrl-Shift-Enter to Ctrl-Shift-Return (which does not exist on a Win Keyboard)
And here I always thought they were the same thing. Of course I can't remember what a keyboard said on it 26 years ago when I first was learning DOS 1.0 and I know my keyboard currently says "Enter" but I've always made the assumption that Return/Enter did the same exact thing. Damn now I have to go and change my shortcut as well. Funny it was working just fine right up to the point I read this post and them blammo it just stopped working for me.

Sorry theducks. It's early morning here and I just couldn't resist
Old 06-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've seen at least one reference to:
Code:
<title>Rich text editor, editor, press ALT 0 for help.</title>
magically appearing in Code View in this thread, but didn't see where the issue was formally acknowledged.

To consistently recreate the issue (I'm sure there are other ways):

1) Open Sigil 0.5.902 (brand-new empty document)
2) Switch to Code View of "Section0001.xhtml" (note the "<title></title>")
3) Delete the "<p>&nbsp;</p>" line in Code View
4) Switch to Book View
5) Type some text
6) Switch to Code View and note "<title>Rich text editor, editor, press ALT 0 for help.</title>"

The text itself comes from a default setting in the language files (en.js) for CKEdit. Thinking it might be connected to the empty title tags... I tried entering a title (in step 2 of the above recreation steps), but no dice. The text I entered is still replaced by "<title>Rich text editor, editor, press ALT 0 for help.</title>" if you complete the steps.

Tested on Windows and Linux. Seems like it may be a common thing since I've found evidence of a few live websites with that same distinct title.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-23-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #45
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeypxi View Post
And can we remove the not so special characters from the Special Characters menu (if it's not too much asked).
Will have a look, but not high priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I take it that this will re-enable the Sigilsplit button in BV? (The #1 most used feature of BV that I use.) It is a real pain to find the same place in CV , Where Sigil split does work.
Not sure - user_none will have to comment as he removed it (possibly due to BV update issues or other reasons)

Made a note to look at the shortcut issue.

Quote:
I've seen at least one reference to:
Code:
<title>Rich text editor, editor, press ALT 0 for help.</title>
magically appearing in Code View in this thread, but didn't see where the issue was formally acknowledged.
Yeah, its been seen and noted - but thanks for another way to show it. Makes it much easier to look at something when you can reproduce it as you know...
Closed Thread