Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
2 column PDF book to 1 column possible?

I can read it on okay my Sony 650, in 4-quadrant view with zooming, but that's kind of a pain. Any way to convert such docs to single column, so that I can switch to a larger font (currently, that causes a mess jumbling the column contents)?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I can read it on okay my Sony 650, in 4-quadrant view with zooming, but that's kind of a pain. Any way to convert such docs to single column, so that I can switch to a larger font (currently, that causes a mess jumbling the column contents)?
Not with Calibre. A new pdf engine is in progress that will handle multiple columns.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Try "Stanza for Windows" (Google this one).
I'm using that one to convert my 2-column novels to 1-column and it works ok.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I think that you could maybe use "Briss" (google it, it's free).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Not with Calibre. A new pdf engine is in progress that will handle multiple columns.
I found a work around for books that have been scanned as 2 x book pages per single pdf "page"

1. open PDF in adobe viewer, use EDIT + send file to clipboard option.

2. now that the text is on the clipboard you can paste either directly into a new sigil document , or paste into a new word document + save as filtered HTML. ( NB an entire book will take a while to appear in sigil, just be patient )

3. save work from step 2, import add saved book file to calibre, convert to format of your choice. use calibre heuristic etc convert tools to tidy up presentation.

the key step is 1. which takes the 2 column narrative & reflows it as a single column. tried it on a couple of novels & it has worked fine. ( I also cropped off page headers with another pdf tool before step 1 )
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Another option is k2pdfopt: http://willus.com/archive/#kindle
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
I have tried several different softwares to convert multi-col pdf into 1-col, so far K2PDFOPT is the best.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
( I also cropped off page headers with another pdf tool before step 1 )
What pdf tools work for getting rid of headers/footers/page#s before Step 1?

Edit: Ah, it looks like Briss can do that too. I'll have to try that.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-04-2011 at 07:23 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
What pdf tools work for getting rid of headers/footers/page#s before Step 1?

Edit: Ah, it looks like Briss can do that too. I'll have to try that.
you can zap the headers with calibre search replace regex, after some practice.

also google pdfscissors
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
you can zap the headers with calibre search replace regex, after some practice.

also google pdfscissors
Yeah, the conversion s/r in calibre - don't know regex well enough yet.

The briss and pdfscissors both look useful, I've grabbed both, and will play. pdfscissors looks easier to use at first glance.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For removing headers/footers with k2pdfopt, see the help page:

http://willus.com/archive/k2pdfopt/k....shtml#borders
Old 09-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
For removing headers/footers with k2pdfopt, see the help page:

http://willus.com/archive/k2pdfopt/k....shtml#borders
Thanks, I saw that and it looks good. But I'm on a Mac and not yet running a virtual Windows or a Windows partition, which I try to avoid needing to do. I'm still thinking about a possible virtual Windows implementation but will probably wait awhile if I decide to go ahead. Meanwhile, your other info on your site looks good.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Thanks, I saw that and it looks good. But I'm on a Mac and not yet running a virtual Windows or a Windows partition, which I try to avoid needing to do. I'm still thinking about a possible virtual Windows implementation but will probably wait awhile if I decide to go ahead. Meanwhile, your other info on your site looks good.
Please try the latest version, just posted, which has an OSX download.

http://willus.com/archive/#kindle

I hope it works for you.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
unboggling
Wizard

sorry, willus, can't get it to run. doesn't behave like executable on my system, which is snow leopard OS X 10.8.6. Doesn't run in terminal. Appears as web archive htm, doesn't seem compiled.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

I'll look into it... Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit (what does uname -a say when you type it into the terminal shell?)