Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
morrow
Enthusiast
morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/PW/KV
drop caps in paperwhite?

I have been vexing over this for a long while to no fruition. I'm wishing to make dropcap on a file, however although it shows perfectly in Sigil, when I converted the file to azw3 and transferred it to my paperwhite, the text is regular. No dropcap in sight.

This is the sample of the css:
Code:
span.dropcaps
{
float: left;
font-size: 60px;
line-height: 50px;
padding-top: 1px;
margin-top: -.09em;
margin-right: .02em;
}
and this is the sample html:

Code:
<p><span class="dropcaps">I</span>n the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the army.
The result in sigil is perfect, exactly what I wanted but how come it didnt show up in my paperwhite? Is there something I forgot to do?
morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
For some reason, dropcaps that look OK in Sigil don't look OK in the compiled .mobi file and the dropcaps code that Amazon recommends in the Publishing Guidelines doesn't work in epubs.

Amazon recommends the following code, which works fine on my K3 with the default fonts, if I compile the .epub with KindleGen.

Code:
span.dropcaps
{ 
        font-weight:normal; 
        font-size:320%; 
        float:left; 
        margin-top:-0.3225em; 
        margin-bottom:-0.3245em; 
 }
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
morrow
Enthusiast
morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post

Code:
span.dropcaps
{ 
        margin-top:-0.3225em; 
        margin-bottom:-0.3245em; 
 }
Thank you, the code have some effect, but it only made the font slightly larger and darker rather than drop cop.

this is what it should look like

and this is what it look like in paperwhite

code:
Code:
span.dropcaps
{ 
        margin-top:-0.2225em; 
        margin-bottom:-0.5245em; 
 }
Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This looks be a problem with Calibres AZW3 converter, try compiling the .epub with Kindle Previewer/KindleGen instead.
(I.e. simply open the .epub file with KP.)
Also don't use Kindle Cloud storage to transfer the file.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
morrow
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
This looks be a problem with Calibres AZW3 converter, try compiling the .epub with Kindle Previewer/KindleGen instead.
(I.e. simply open the .epub file with KP.)
Also don't use Kindle Cloud storage to transfer the file.
Woot, kindlegen works, however, when I try it do it within kindlegen with commands theres a error saying it can't open epub file, but when i dragged it in it works. But the resulting file is in my "DOC" category rather than in "BOOKS".

Any pointers?

Thank you so much.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow View Post
Woot, kindlegen works, however, when I try it do it within kindlegen with commands theres a error saying it can't open epub file, but when i dragged it in it works. But the resulting file is in my "DOC" category rather than in "BOOKS".

Any pointers?

Thank you so much.
Just a guess but possibly a bad file name with illegal characters in it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Woot, kindlegen works, however, when I try it do it within kindlegen with commands theres a error saying it can't open epub file, but when i dragged it in it works.
As DaleDe has already pointed out, this is most likely caused by the file name. (For example, spaces or accented characters in the file name and/or the path.) You can avoid this issue by creating a shortcut to kindlegen.exe on the desktop and drag & drop the .epub file on it.

Quote:
But the resulting file is in my "DOC" category rather than in "BOOKS".
This is a known issue. See this thread for more details.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
morrow
Enthusiast

will try, thank you.