Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
hardgainer
Invisible Man
hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook360,Kindle K4
Ereader with a backlight option?

Hi. Have a question about backlight. My wife likes to read in the evening before sleep and does it regurarly. At the moment she reads on her phone which has an adjustable backlight option so she doesn't have to use any outside light sources. Our wee babies sleep in the same room that's why it is preferably not to turn on any light. Is there any ereader that allows you to do that? Thank you very much in advance,i've looked up ereaders specs but found nothing.
hardgainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The only one with built-in lighting I can think of is the Apple iPad. However, there are lots of lighting add-ons available for eInk devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Harry, you're way too narrow minded...

There are few ereaders with a backlit LCD screen. If you want e-ink, you'll need addons.

Check this forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164 for a few readers.

I personally use the JE100 (which is no Ipad, Harry, but still had a backlight!).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Harry, you're way too narrow minded...
No, just unaware of the LCD market. That's why I qualified my recommendation by saying that it was the only one I could think of.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I nurse and e-Read, and while I used to use my iPhone for 2-4 hours reading sessions, it made my eyes very cranky (even with low brightness and reversed text).

I have found the best combo to be an e-Ink device with a directed clamp-on light. The light I'm using right now is from Target:

http://www.simplyparticular.com/2010...ption-for.html

Because of the way this light is designed, if the little guy stirs, I just flip the light down and it blocks the light cast until he settles or I turn it off. I'm reading 3-4 hours with a nursing or sleeping baby AND my eyes aren't bloodshot.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 02:19 AM   #6
hardgainer
Invisible Man
hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook360,Kindle K4
Thank you very much. It's a great option.
hardgainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... the light I'm using right now is ...

SimplyParticular - how is battery life on that model. Very interesting!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardgainer View Post
Our wee babies sleep in the same room that's why it is preferably not to turn on any light. Is there any ereader that allows you to do that? Thank you very much in advance,i've looked up ereaders specs but found nothing.
You might want to check out the PocketBook IQ just announced today

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95359

It will have a 7" color backlit lcd ,running the PocketBook firmware/app but its Andorid 2.0 so you will be able to add Android apps from other bookstores as well...

More information about price and availability will be out soon. The IFA official launch is just under 2 weeks away now
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... the light I'm using right now is ...

SimplyParticular - how is battery life on that model. Very interesting!
I haven't clocked it officially, but I just put in my second set of batteries last weekend, so I'm guessing I got about 25 hours on the first pair. Possibly more. The little guy has been teething, so I've been nursing and reading more. (sigh)

When I put the fresh batteries in, I was overwhelmed by how bright it was - I actually like it better when the batteries run a little low. I need to get some Scotch tape and see if that helps dim it a little.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I just use the little Nook clip on light they sell at B&N. They are small and light, but they do use 3v batteries.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #11
computerwiz908
computerwiz908 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Actually, there is (at least) one eReader with lighting built in that also has E Ink technology: it is the Sony PRS-700, and it is no longer produced. It has side lighting built in and E Ink technology.

Sony Style
computerwiz908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:04 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The PRS-700 was universally slated by everyone. The gap between the eInk screen and the outer protective screen due to the lighting element made the screen blurry. This is a device to be avoided.