Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Yayafava
Yayafava is on a distinguished road

Device: JBL
Besides HTML support which isn't listed, are there any others that anyone knows of?

For instance, one of my reasons for an ebook reader, besides reading books, is to put some crochet patterns on and/or recipes I plan on making.

Many of these are in MS Word (doc format). Do I have to resave as rtf for them to work on JBL?

I wouldn't ask if I had my JBL in hand, but it hasn't arrived yet. I think it will come today. I have my fingers crossed.

I'm working on putting things I have already collected on an SD card and just thought I would ask so I can slip the SD card in as soon as my JBL arrives!

Oh and I have noticed that I have some things in "ebook" format. The symbol for this looks exactly like the "mobi" symbol. Are they the same? Will the JBL accept this format?
Yayafava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
.rtf files work fine on the JBL, for the most part, I haven't tested all the features
available from the format, yet. Certainly ones like color won't work on the B&W
display.

The "symbol" or icon that you see in your file explorer is of the program that you
have associated with the extension of the file. For instance your music and video
files are associated with a player program and you will see the player's icon in front
of those files. Your "mobi" player probably associates a number of different file
extensions, for "ebooks" with its icon.

Check if the file extension (the three or four characters after the period in the
file name) is one of those listed for the JBL.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-26-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
causticmuse
Binge Reader
causticmuse doesn't littercausticmuse doesn't litter

Device: Treo 650, JetBook Lite, Asus eeePC 900a (Linux), Palm Pre
I have crochet patterns on my JBL as PDF, text, and even JPG formats right now. If I find a pattern on line that I want to save, I just "print" it out as PDF file using the free CutePDF program so I can load it up on the Jetbook Lite.
causticmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Yayafava

Let me rephrase. I know (from the documentation on site) that the JBL handles epub, mobi, prc, rtf, txt, pdf, fb2, jpg, gif, png, bmp files. BTW, I know what epub, mobi, rtf, txt, pdf are. What programs are associated with prc and fb2? And I know jpg, gif, png, bmp deal with photo/graphic files.

Those are the ones that Ectaco tells us that JBL handles. Then I was asking a question about cutting and pasting html text into a word doc and saving it as rtf and was told that the JBL handles html.

One of my questions is do I have to go back and change the patterns and recipes (food ones) from doc to rtf or will JBL read them as is. If my JBL arrives today I'll have the answer soon enough but I was thinking it would give me somethng to do while I wait for it. : )

So to recapitulate:
1. Does JBL handle word (doc) files or do I need to resave as rtf?
2. Is ebook the same as mobi. If not does anyone know if JBL will read ebook files?
(I ask this because I have 2 things where the icon looks like mobi but when you flitter the cursor over file it says it is "ebook", while the others specifically say "mobi".)
3. Or there other formats not listed on JBL site (those formats listed above) that JBL seems to read by individual user's experiences?

I'm getting rather knowledgeable about certain things just from reading the posts and the "wiki" here. I have been going around to the "free" book sites suggested here and I have been collecting things willy-nilly. Then realized I had to pay attention to formats. I realized this when I noticed I had collected a bunch of things in "lit" format.

I'm still not clear on what specific formats are intended for which readers yet, but I'm sure I will be soon. One of the reasons I chose JBL is that it accepts a variety of formats. At first I interpreted that to mean just about all formats except DRM. Which is why I wound up with a number of things in "lit" format. Finally some little light went off in my brain and I went and rechecked formats for JBL and realized that "lit" was not one of them. Now I have a post-it on the side of my monitor screen to remind me. : )

So I'm gathering from your response Ken that if I see the Mobi icon next to ebook "formats" that Mobi will read them and by extension so will the JBL.

And CausticMuse are you aware the MS word (at least the one I have) allows you to save as pdf. I think I may have went to the MS site to get the "plug-in" or whatever you call it but it was awhile back so I'm not sure now.

I have a free standalone one that I was using but lately when I scan patterns in jpeg form and try to put them in pdf form it doesn't put them in correct order. So I'm going to check out the one you suggested. It might be because I have had that program a couple of years, use it quite frequently and they are "hassling" me thinking I'll buy there full-featured program. Don't know.

But I have gotten off topic, so I'm going to post what I have written and go check out more of other people's posts. : )
Old 02-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayafava View Post
Let me rephrase.

So to recapitulate:
1. Does JBL handle word (doc) files or do I need to resave as rtf?
2. Is ebook the same as mobi. If not does anyone know if JBL will read ebook files?
(I ask this because I have 2 things where the icon looks like mobi but when you flitter the cursor over file it says it is "ebook", while the others specifically say "mobi".)
3. Or there other formats not listed on JBL site (those formats listed above) that JBL seems to read by individual user's experiences?

I'm getting rather knowledgeable about certain things just from reading the posts and the "wiki" here. I have been going around to the "free" book sites suggested here and I have been collecting things willy-nilly. Then realized I had to pay attention to formats. I realized this when I noticed I had collected a bunch of things in "lit" format.

I'm still not clear on what specific formats are intended for which readers yet, but I'm sure I will be soon. One of the reasons I chose JBL is that it accepts a variety of formats. At first I interpreted that to mean just about all formats except DRM. Which is why I wound up with a number of things in "lit" format. Finally some little light went off in my brain and I went and rechecked formats for JBL and realized that "lit" was not one of them. Now I have a post-it on the side of my monitor screen to remind me. : )

So I'm gathering from your response Ken that if I see the Mobi icon next to ebook "formats" that Mobi will read them and by extension so will the JBL.

1. No, MS Word .doc format is not one that JBL can handle. RTF is a
good choice, as is PDF.

2. ".ebook" is not a file extension that I am familiar with.

3. There maybe some that are close enough to one that works, so that
the JBL can try and display it, but I can't think of an example. (Maybe .zip
or .xml, don't know, haven't tried.)

You might check out Calibre, it can easily convert the non-DRM .lit files
into something the JBL reads, like epub.

The "mobi" icon only means that a program, that you have on your
computer, is using that icon for that file type, which is one of those
associated with that program. If the file extension of the file is one
that the JBL can handle then the JBL can also read the file.

Assuming that your computer is a PC and you are using a Windows
Operating System; Right-click on the file's icon and select "Properties".
You should now be able to see the file extension, the "Type of file:"
and what program it "Opens with:".

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Yayafava

Thanks all. I haven't been posting as I've been slugging away at converting formats. : )

And of course, my JBL arrived and I have read 3 books already. My daughter thinks I'm crazy as I bring it into the kitchen and read it while I'm cooking. You know things that need to be "stirred constantly" and the like. : )
Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 AM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayafava View Post
Thanks all. I haven't been posting as I've been slugging away at converting formats. : )

And of course, my JBL arrived and I have read 3 books already. My daughter thinks I'm crazy as I bring it into the kitchen and read it while I'm cooking. You know things that need to be "stirred constantly" and the like. : )
Yayafava, I'm glad that you like your jetBook-lite. I keep it with me all the time - same as my cell phone!

Last edited by Kris777; 03-09-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
...jetBook-lite. I keep it with me all the time - same as my cell phone!
Kris, without a good cover protecting the glass, aren't you concerned that the jetBook Lite will get broken in some accident outside the house?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Kris, without a good cover protecting the glass, aren't you concerned that the jetBook Lite will get broken in some accident outside the house?
I use the original jetBook cover for jetBook-Lite. Dropped it several times in airport but still no problem with screen...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
My little nephew has dropped my Libre a few times onto a wood floor without harm.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote