Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
pimpoum
Enthusiast
pimpoum began at the beginning.

Device: none
getting around the screen glare???

Hi all,

I've been meaning to but a prs700 but all this stuff about the screen glaring is preventing me from doing so.

Would it not be possible to put a mattifying screen protector (like these kind of thin plastic layers) in order to prevent light reflection?

Thanks
pimpoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpoum View Post
Hi all,

I've been meaning to but a prs700 but all this stuff about the screen glaring is preventing me from doing so.

Would it not be possible to put a mattifying screen protector (like these kind of thin plastic layers) in order to prevent light reflection?

Thanks
Yes, it's possible, and yes, it does help (a little)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 05:34 AM   #3
pimpoum
Enthusiast
pimpoum began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Yes, it's possible, and yes, it does help (a little)
thanks!

where do you buy such a screen protection?

Is it possible to see any picture or maybe a more extended review?

Cheers
pimpoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpoum View Post
thanks!

where do you buy such a screen protection?

Is it possible to see any picture or maybe a more extended review?

Cheers
Please ask mos. She does have such a screensaver.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Yes, I have one with antireflex. Hm, how do I discribe the difference. I checked it before and after.
I applied the proctector in my kitchen. I light bulb was mirroring on my screen. You could see it real sharp before I put on the protector. After the protector was on, you can still recognize the light bulb, but it looks much more softener now. The shape is not as sharp, as it used to be.

I guess you could compare it, with a sharp picture and an out of focus picture. It breaks somehow the light rays and is not as noticable, as it was before.

Oh, boy, I hope anybody could understand what I meant. Sorry, but this is realy a tough one to describe in English.

I'm glad, that I have the protector on. It makes me also feel saver, with the touchscreen.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
abermp
abermp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Where did you get the screen protector?
abermp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:11 AM   #7
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

I bought mine here:

Ebay Screen Protector
Old 04-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
Silverexpress
Silverexpress began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
It's interesting to note that smartphones and PDAs have been using touch screens for over a decade, and even Sony had the CLIE's. However, this touch screen they're using for the PRS700 seems to be a step backwards two decades. It's almost comparable to my still functioning Palm V.

What happened?

Any, being that it's still new - I've been using this product ever since it was reviewed to be one of the best during the peak of the PDAs.

http://www.boxwave.com/

Last edited by Silverexpress; 04-23-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i have a 700 but don't use a screen protector. i haven't had a problem with the glare ; i think you quickly get used to it and in many situations it's not a problem at all. if you want a 700, you might try it for a few days without a screen protector to see whether you still would want one.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
TheRealBillc
evangelist
TheRealBillc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700 deceased now 950
Me too

I agree with Ms Pinwheel (and I must confess I thought that was a real name). I have had a PRS 700 since they first came out and I don't have problem with the glare at all. It simply has meant that I've had to change the angle that I'm holding the device at and then the glare goes away. Much ado about nothing.
TheRealBillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

I also have problem with the glare but at a certain angle with the light and mostly florescent and not much with natural light. So I just position myself or my reader where the glare will not be there much to affect my reading.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
j7f
j7f began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
don't know if this is a backwards solution...
but, to cut the glare i typically just turn the reading light on low.
that seems to effectively cut glare for my tastes.
yes...it does eat up the battery.
j7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
mos
Addict

I don't use the screen protector because of the glare, but to protect my screen. That's what it is made for. If you use a touchscreen very often you cannot avoid to get some small scratches etc. With the screen protector there is no risk of that anymore.

I don't have a glare problem with my 700, neither with or without a protector. I realy have it for screen protection.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
rygd
rygd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I agree with Zelda.

I was worried about the issues I kept reading about, but decided that this was the one for me (and I HATE Sony). I was waiting a couple weeks to save the money, but my wife gave it to me on Saturday. I have no issues with the reflection. I even commented on this while reading in the car. My wife looked over and yelled at me for shining it in her eyes, but I have had no issues.

The other "major issues" aren't issues at all for me. Yes there is dust, but I didn't notice until I looked for it, and the contrast is fine. I can read clearly in a much darker room than I should without turning on the light.
rygd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:27 AM   #15
Sbilf
Sbilf is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS 700
Hi all,

I agree with Zelda and with Mos too. Yes! I have not problem with the glare, but I would protect the screen.

@ Mos...watching your video on youtube that I have decided to buy my 700!!!

Ciao, Max.
Sbilf is offline   Reply With Quote