Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
superbet
Time Lord
superbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thinking on buying a Kindle Paperwhite - Some questions

Hi guys!

I currently have a Sony PRS-600. It's a great device, but the screen is not clear enough and has some "reflection" problems (apart that I have some weird problems with the internal memory, hehe).

Ebook readers in my country are expensive so I was thinking on buying the Nook or the Kindle from their websites... Nice surprise, I can't buy the Nook from where I live, so, or I buy a Kindle or I buy other device for way more money that it really cost.

So... I was seeing the Kindle Papewhite. What about this one?

Is the screen clear enough?

I know it won't take epubs as the Sony. Is it easy to convert epubs to the Kindle format? I use Calibre and I read that you can use it for that.

Any other thing or recomendation?

Thanks a lot!!!

Bet
superbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbet View Post
So... I was seeing the Kindle Papewhite. What about this one?

Is the screen clear enough?

I know it won't take epubs as the Sony. Is it easy to convert epubs to the Kindle format? I use Calibre and I read that you can use it for that.
I switched to a Paperwhite from a recent Sony Reader myself.

The screen is plenty clear. It's about on par with the screen in the Sony 650/T1/T2. And higher resolution. The PRS 700/600 with touch were a bit of an anomaly when it comes to screen clarity.

I use Calibre to convert ePubs to KF8 (which has similar features) and copy them over to the Paperwhite. Works like a charm.

The downside with the paperwhite is that the light isn't as even as they advertised. I think it is more even than the Nook with the built in light, but that is definitely a subjective measure. I like mine quite a bit though.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
I had a Sony 600 but gave it away. Even the screen on kindle keyboard is a lot better, so you really do not have to worry about the paperwhite. However there's a bit of uneven lighting going on at the bottom. It's noticeable but I don't pay attention to it when I read.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
There's a lot of disagreement about the Paperwhite light/screen.

Part of this is in the eye of the beholder, and part in the hardware.

Some screens have unsightly blotches and coloured patches, while most(?) are evenly lit.

Some people get very wound up about this, while most(?) are happy with their devices.

The only problem with ordering a Kindle internationally is that return/replacement is a bit more of a hassle. I took the gamble and ordered one through a drop-shipper, knowing full well that returning it would be awkward. For me it turned out well, and I'm very pleased with my PW!

(Although I believe that today they actually do international orders, so you should (at least in principle) be covered, even though international returns still are very slow.)
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
There's a lot of disagreement about the Paperwhite light/screen.

Part of this is in the eye of the beholder, and part in the hardware.

Some screens have unsightly blotches and coloured patches, while most(?) are evenly lit.

Some people get very wound up about this, while most(?) are happy with their devices.
Even the very "worst" PW screen is a hell of a lot better than any unlit screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Even the very "worst" PW screen is a hell of a lot better than any unlit screen.
In your opinion of course. I sent mine back and am happy with my Kindle Touch (of course it didn't have much to do with blotches).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
superbet
Time Lord
superbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersuperbet can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Thanks guys!! I have problems with Amazon, they don't like any of my international credit cards and they canceled my users

So, I'll see if I can get the Paperwhite or the Touch here (both of them way more expensive) here in Bs As.

Last edited by superbet; 03-18-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
superbet
Time Lord

Yeaah! I found a KP!!!! I can't wait to get home to open it!
Old 03-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
In your opinion of course. I sent mine back and am happy with my Kindle Touch (of course it didn't have much to do with blotches).
I usually prefer cats, but I have to side with the Dalek on this one. The unlit screens seem so dull now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbet View Post
Yeaah! I found a KP!!!! I can't wait to get home to open it!
Peel those potatoes! KP duty rocks!

May your screen be perfect and your reading be joy.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
superbet
Time Lord

Woow!! The screen is awesome! The screen and the light it's ok, It has some little shadow at the bottom, but I read that's normal. I'll upload some books and ready to read!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, shadow cones between the lights at the bottom of the screen are entirely normal. Enjoy your Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
The downside with the paperwhite is that the light isn't as even as they advertised. I think it is more even than the Nook with the built in light, but that is definitely a subjective measure. I like mine quite a bit though.
But its still the best out there. I am aware of the cones at the bottom but can't say it bothers me one bit.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
After I got my PW my PRS-650 just sits on a shelf. That's how much I like the PW.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

I emphatically endorse that opinion!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #15
topper0764
topper0764 doesn't littertopper0764 doesn't littertopper0764 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle pw
Shadow at the bottom only appear during low light environment , other time it look perfect
topper0764 is offline   Reply With Quote