Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
gandro
gandro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 Keeps Freezing/Rebooting

My Kindle 3 WiFi (almost a year old) suddenly started to behave very strange yesterday:

It just froze while reading a book - after 5 minutes it rebooted automatically. Not long after it finished booting and was up and running it just froze again.

Since then, this cycle just repeats: It reboots, comes up just fine, but then freezes after less than 60 seconds, then reboots after some time again.

Holding the power-switch for 20 seconds does neither reboot it manually nor solve the problem. I'm running the latest Kindle 3.1 firmware (without jailbreak) and I do not own an Amazon Cover.

Edit: I've tried a factory default. Didn't help, kindle just froze while displaying the "Welcome" text.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Last edited by gandro; 07-30-2011 at 07:36 AM.
gandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
It sounds like something is haywire with the OS. Some sort of corruption in the files. I'd say your best bet would be Amazon's Customer Service. They might just tell you to send the Kindle back for a replacement.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I would suggest specifically Kindle CS.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Mirtma
Mirtma began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura
I have similar problems. After 7 months. Gandro, would you tell us if & how did you solved problem?
Mirtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Most often, if a Kindle is rebooting itself, and the issue is not fixed with a restart, there is a corrupt file on the Kindle. I suggest deleting all content, and just adding a book or two right away, and using the Kindle a few days to see if the problem reappears. If it doesn't, it was most likely a bad file.

... and this is not terribly rare. My Kindle rebooted yesterday as I was reading a book. It only did it once, so I have not yet started deleting files, but I will if it happens again.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 08-01-2011 at 05:20 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
gandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirtma View Post
I have similar problems. After 7 months. Gandro, would you tell us if & how did you solved problem?
Haven't solved it. I went to my reseller today, I guess they'll deal with the Amazon support. Now I'm without my Kindle for the next few weeks :-(

@pidgeon92 Corrupt files was my thought too, but Factory Default (which removes all user-related documents) sadly didn't help. Didn't try formatting the file system though..
Old 08-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
michaelkrg
michaelkrg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Just to check, are you using a cover? The original version of this cover was causing problems with the kindle 3. Their updated version has been working ok.

If that's the case, ditch the cover and see if the problem persists. I had the same problem. Amazon will replace it for free.
michaelkrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Michael is correct. If you are using a hinged cover, remove it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
gandro

I've read about this too, but as I said in the first post, I don't use a cover.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
Stephen_Melling
Stephen_Melling
Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephen_Melling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Less than a year old? I'd simply get it replaced.
Stephen_Melling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
gandro

I've got my replacement unit today, so the problem is solved for me. Thanks for your advices.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:34 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandro View Post
I've got my replacement unit today, so the problem is solved for me. Thanks for your advices.
You're quite welcome gandro. Enjoy the new Kindle.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote