Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Maal656
Maal656 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Please confirm different embedded fonts OK in Sony reader

Hello! I'm new in ebooks and, although I don't have any ebook reader, I'm converting my paper books into epub format, trying to get a result as close as possible to the real book by means of the Sigil program

In the attached file I have an extract of an epub, where I try to load two different fonts (ORC A Extended and Courier New), which are used in specific parts of the book: Normal text is shown in default font (something similar to Times New Roman), there is a centred line with text "***JM CEI 0700 SB AOTLJ" which is shown in a "pocket calculator style" font, and some code lines with a fixed-width font. Both fonts are embedded into the epub file, and checking the file with Adobe Digital Editions, it works perfectly.

Here is an image with the desired result:

I'm thinking on buying the Sony PRD-650, but first I would like to check this file is correctly shown. Anyone with a Sony PRD-650 could check it and confirm that three different fonts are shown?

Thank you!!!
Attached Files
File Type: epub Prueba.epub (210.2 KB, 255 views)
Maal656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the fonts work in ADE for Windows, they will work on the 650. There is no problem there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Maal656

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the fonts work in ADE for Windows, they will work on the 650. There is no problem there.
Just to be really sure before buying this reader... could you please confirm it with the attached file (it is very small and it will not take much time).

This reader is not a cheap device, and I would like to be totally sure...

Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
giododa
Connoisseur
giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maal656 View Post
Just to be really sure before buying this reader... could you please confirm it with the attached file (it is very small and it will not take much time).

Thanks in advance!!
I can confirm your file is perfectly readable on PRS-650 with the different fonts.
giododa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maal656 View Post

Thanks in advance!!
Here are screencaps of the 3 pages in your epub on a PRS650. Actual size is approx. 9.5cm x 12.5cm if you want to simulate on your PC screen.

As you can see it is perfectly readable, however, the screencaps have better contrast than the actuality. Your monospace font (Courier) is rather faint in real-life and I would suggest trying to find a heavier one.

Also note, the main body text you can see, which you have not embedded, is my own customised default, which is Charis SIL not the Sony's own epub default.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen1.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	66325   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen2.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	66326   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen3.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	66327  

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-08-2011 at 02:43 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #6
Maal656

Thank you for your information!!

Regarding the Courier font, I will change it to Courier Bold to get better readability... With the Sigil program these changes are really easy!

Thanks for all!!

Tags
embedded fonts, epub, sony