Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #2131
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
*** UPDATE: There is a new fully-automated version of 'mntusb' here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=29

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-20-2011 at 08:03 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 AM   #2132
juco
Enthusiast
juco is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm m105, Kindle KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
@juco/Ralph: Unfortunately, the built-in "Screen-Shot" hotkey sequence is disabled while the screen saver images are visible on the display. If you do not mind "stepping outside the box", you can scan your kindle on a flatbed scanner (or use a digital camera) to get a copy of the screensavers, then adjust them (800x600 16-bit Grayscale) to use as custom K3 screensaver images. Of course, for anybody who would be offended by digital data proxied through the real world with all of its analog "noise", you should probably also avoid JPEG compressed images due to added quantization artifact noise...
Quality aspects not considered, that isn't really an option for me since I don't own a K4! I just want to get hold of it's wallpaper files to press them into service on my beloved K3 aka K KB! ;-)

Thank you nevertheless,
Ralph
juco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #2133
krishvr
krishvr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Setting typeface as regular in Kindle 2

Hi NiLuJe

Do you know, how i can set the typeface as regular in Kindle 2i edition as that option is not available via Aa key?

I followed the fonthack procedure to install fonts listed in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116098. However, i'm struck in setting typeface as regular. Is there any file that i can edit and try this setting?

Thanks
Krish
krishvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #2134
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@krishvr: The K2 only handles one family in the reader, and that's Serif, so this specific font set should work out of the box on a K2.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #2135
kevintran
kevintran began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
How do I turn off usbnetworking on a Kindle DX g? Please help
kevintran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #2136
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintran View Post
How do I turn off usbnetworking on a Kindle DX g? Please help
To turn off usbNetwork, you have several options. Perhaps easiest is to rename /mnt/us/usbnet/auto to DISABLED_auto and reboot (either reboot command, or desktop: Home Menu Settings Menu Restart). Be sure to unplug the USB cable during reboot or you will have to hold the power button for 30 seconds to recover.

Or, you can do it from the desktop (Home Del ;debugOn `usbNetwork ;debugOff). To get symbols, press Sym and use 5-way stick. On a kindle 3 use a tilde (~) instead of a backtick (`). the `usbNetwork command toggles between usbNetwork and USB Drive Mode. Although I have not tried it, I suspect that installing 3.x firmware on a DXG will change the debug symbol.

Or you can run the scripts in the usbnet bin folder.

After any of these methods, you should see the "USB Drive Mode" display on the kindle when you plug a PC into its USB port.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-25-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #2137
moonspie
moonspie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle k3g
Hi I have a Kindle k3g (US B006). I updated it from 3.2.1 to 3.3 manually. And then I tried the jailbreak, got an error message U004. What does that mean? What shuold I do next? Thanks!
moonspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #2138
KindleKonfused
KindleKonfused began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3wifi
@ NiLuje

First time poster. I have spent an age going through this thread and cant find an answer to this question.

Basically I just bought a Kindle 3 Wifi on update 3.3

It has never been hacked/jailbroken before and when I follow the instructions from your first post in this thread I don't get the linkss folder. Also I'm not sure if the jailbreak is working properly.

jailbreak only required for new Screensavers.

Anywho what I'm trying to ask in a long winded way is will this Jailbreak work on 3.3 despite it never having been jail broken before??

Thanks
KindleKonfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #2139
geekmaster

@KindleKonfused: Update 3.3 needs the latest "3.2.1" jailbreak.

Did you install the jailbreak and screensaver hacks here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

The "3.2.1" version worked on my kindle with 3.3 already installed.

If the jailbreak installed successfully, you should see a "linkjail" folder on the Kindle USB Drive.

Be sure to do a Kindle Update (Home Menu Settings Menu "Update Your Kindle") to install. If Update is greyed out, you are trying to install the wrong version of update .bin file. Use only updates that match your kindle version (determined by first four characters of serial number, which you can see by pressing Shift-Alt-period). And with 3.3 installed, be sure to use the "3.2.1" version.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-28-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #2140
Antosha
Antosha began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite gw
Question jailbreak for kdx graphite gw

I have an kindle dx graphite gw.

Considering that for each kindle device there is a separate jailbreak file for the international version (for instance, k2i instead of k2) why is there no separate jailbreak file for the international version of the kindle dx graphite? Is this intentional?

What jailbreak file should i use (dxg?).
Is the jailbreak file for US and GW versions the same?
Antosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #2141
KindleKonfused

Quote:
@KindleKonfused: Update 3.3 needs the latest "3.2.1" jailbreak.

Did you install the jailbreak and screensaver hacks here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

The "3.2.1" version worked on my kindle with 3.3 already installed.

If the jailbreak installed successfully, you should see a "linkjail" folder on the Kindle USB Drive.

Be sure to do a Kindle Update (Home Menu Settings Menu "Update Your Kindle") to install. If Update is greyed out, you are trying to install the wrong version of update .bin file. Use only updates that match your kindle version (determined by first four characters of serial number, which you can see by pressing Shift-Alt-period). And with 3.3 installed, be sure to use the "3.2.1" version.
Thanks for the reply.

I installed the Jailbreak and then the screensaver hack but no folders appeared anywhere. Am I correct in saying that the Jailbreak is dropped into the main folder on the kindle?? i.e. the folder containing documents, audio, etc?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #2142
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKonfused View Post
... Am I correct in saying that the Jailbreak is dropped into the main folder on the kindle?? i.e. the folder containing documents, audio, etc?
Yes, the main (USB Drive root) folder is the correct place to put a hack install file. This is also known as /mnt/us, after you have a jailbreak installed. If that location contains an update install file that is valid for your kindle, then the "Update Your Kindle" menu item should be enabled (black, not grey).

To help determine which file to install, what are the first 4 characters of your serial number? You can press and hold Shift and Alt, then press period ('.'), then release the keys, to see the serial number.

What files do you see in the "main folder" of the kindle?

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-29-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #2143
KindleKonfused

Quote:
Yes, the main (USB Drive root) folder is the correct place to put a hack install file. This is also known as /mnt/us, after you have a jailbreak installed. If that location contains an update install file that is valid for your kindle, then the "Update Your Kindle" menu item should be enabled (black, not grey).

To help determine which file to install, what are the first 4 characters of your serial number? You can press and hold Shift and Alt, then press period ('.'), then release the keys, to see the serial number.

What files do you see in the "main folder" of the kindle?
I got it to work. I was installing the 3w instead of 3w 321 hack as I didn't scroll down far enough in the window to see it

Thanks for the help though. Very much appreciated.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #2144
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antosha View Post
I have an kindle dx graphite gw.

Considering that for each kindle device there is a separate jailbreak file for the international version (for instance, k2i instead of k2) why is there no separate jailbreak file for the international version of the kindle dx graphite? Is this intentional?

What jailbreak file should i use (dxg?).
Is the jailbreak file for US and GW versions the same?
This page shows models and serial numbers:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

It does not show a special serial number for a DXG "gw version".

I have a US DX (white) with a CDMA 3G modem using the Sprint network, and the "dx" jailbreak worked fine on it.

I also have a DXG (graphite), with a GSM modem that can work in the US and internationally. The latest NiLuJe "dxg" jailbreak worked fine for my DXG.

Do you have a link to a webpage that describes a DXG "gw version"?

If not, try the DXG version of the NiLuJe JB.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-29-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #2145
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@moonspie/KindleKonfused: Use the -3.2.1 jb install .

@Antosha: Use the dxg file, *all* the DXG are GW, there's no US specific model (AFAIR).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet