Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 05:15 AM   #16
LOVE
LOVE began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
So I finally got it working. But the solution is REALLY bloated. I'm running an ARM version of Privoxy in the background, which sits and filters out popups and makes them run in the same window. I don't have time to do a big writeup right now, but basically.

1. Cross-compile privoxy and set it up
2. Add the rules (to global.actions): "{+filter{all-popups}}"
3. In the config, make it forward all requests to amazon (fints-g7g.amazon.com:80)
4. In /opt/amazon/config/ServerConfig.conf, make the kindle use localhost:8118 as the proxy instead of fints-g7g.amazon.com.

It works, but I have no idea how it impacts battery life and/or performance. (Privoxy is designed to be small, so it shouldn't be that bad). Also, you get to block ads as an added bonus.
can you post arm version privoxy binary file ?
thanks a lot.
LOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #17
Xiaopangzi
Enthusiast
Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: kindle k3, prs-t2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE View Post
can you post arm version privoxy binary file ?
thanks a lot.
The debian armel binary works fine on the kindle.

If you are not familiar with the debian package management system, you could go to packages.debian.org, search for the package you want (armel platform, usually the oldstable ones provide the best compatibility with the kindle), download the deb, unpack it with ar, unpack data.tar.gz, and copy the binary. The debian privoxy binary depends on libpcre.so.3 and libpcreposix.so.3, so get those too from their deb. It also depends on libpthread and libz, but the ones preinstalled on the kindle work fine.

/lib/ld-linux.so.3 --list ./privoxy on the kindle shows if all shared libraries were found.
Xiaopangzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #18
humanista
humanista began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Are there any tutorials available on that topic? I am a windows user so I don't have any idea how to use debian packages on Kindle. I've searched this forum but I haven't been able to find any information for noobs.
humanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #19
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I had a package made, but I've decided against releasing it because I found that it can easily be abused into doing bad things if the wrong people get ahold of it.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
humanista

So tutorial for noobs on how to use debian packages on Kindle may be used for bad things? If so, I won't ask again, because I'm still enjoying my 3G and I would hate it if Amazon removed this feature.

Although not being able to open some links because they have "target=_blank" is really annoying.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #21
Xiaopangzi
Enthusiast
Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: kindle k3, prs-t2
Quote:
I had a package made, but I've decided against releasing it because I found that it can easily be abused into doing bad things if the wrong people get ahold of it.
Does it work with WiFi? No potential for abuse there...
Xiaopangzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #22
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopangzi View Post
Does it work with WiFi? No potential for abuse there...
No, it's not the debian packaging that could be abusive, it's privoxy.

Currently, I'm looking for a way to extend Kindle's java. Maybe get it to run an AOP framework or something so we can modify the framework directly.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #23
humanista

What with the solution involving neftaly's ReadibilityMod? I've read that it requires httpd to run properly and that httpd is part of USBNetwork hack. But the readme included in USBNetwork warns me that I should not use it if I don't know what I'm doing. And I most certainly don't. Are there any tutorials available which can help me with that solution?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #24
LOVE
LOVE began at the beginning.

Quote:
So I finally got it working. But the solution is REALLY bloated. I'm running an ARM version of Privoxy in the background, which sits and filters out popups and makes them run in the same window. I don't have time to do a big writeup right now, but basically.

1. Cross-compile privoxy and set it up
2. Add the rules (to global.actions): "{+filter{all-popups}}"
3. In the config, make it forward all requests to amazon (fints-g7g.amazon.com:80)
4. In /opt/amazon/config/ServerConfig.conf, make the kindle use localhost:8118 as the proxy instead of fints-g7g.amazon.com.

It works, but I have no idea how it impacts battery life and/or performance. (Privoxy is designed to be small, so it shouldn't be that bad). Also, you get to block ads as an added bonus.

can you share that config file?
LOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #25
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
Btw. why such a hassle, when the readability hack removes "new window" problem quite fine?
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #26
humanista

For me it doesn't work. I have jailbreak installed on my Kindle 3G and other hacks, such as ScreenSavers hack, work just fine.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #27
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanista View Post
For me it doesn't work. I have jailbreak installed on my Kindle 3G and other hacks, such as ScreenSavers hack, work just fine.
For me it worked with the httpd, but that seemed like too much of a burden.

Then I tried just copying those modded .js files over those in /usr/local/share/browser/readability (or sometjing like that). When I now switch to Article Mode, the links open just fine. I have also modified the scripts further so that in Gmail, only the links are cleaned and I can read the attachemnts in various formats through the View in HTML link.
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #28
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast
Xqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litter

yifanlu, didnt your parents teach you to share?

All data goes through amazons proxy, so no "abuse" or whatever can really happen. Explain.

You can get privoxy from optware:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118472

also, ServerConfig.conf is found in:
/opt/amazon/ebook/config

heres a pastie of it:
http://pastebin.com/xQszK2PV

Last edited by Xqtftqx; 03-27-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Xqtftqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:38 AM   #29
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by otichy View Post
I have also modified the scripts further so that in Gmail, only the links are cleaned and I can read the attachemnts in various formats through the View in HTML link.
Can you upload a copy of your script here ?
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:37 AM   #30
humanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by otichy View Post
For me it worked with the httpd, but that seemed like too much of a burden.
Could you explain how can I run httpd on Kindle?