Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
stevenharper
Connoisseur
stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Book View Cafe--Free Fiction and a Contest

There's a web site called Book View Cafe, and it's a co-op of professional science fiction and fantasy authors. (Full disclosure here: I'm a member.) The site exists so its members can publicize their work and make it available to readers on-line.

BVC has a lot of fiction available for download, both free and for purchase, and without DRMs. The books and stories are in HTML, PDF, and MobiPocket.

Some of the site's authors include Ursula K. LeGuin, Sarah Zettel, Vonda McIntyre, Judith Tarr, and Brenda Clough. And me.

Anyway, the URL is http://www.bookviewcafe.com/ . I have a handful of free stories up, and I'm working on putting up more: http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.ph...iks-Bookshelf/

And at the moment, BVC is holding a contest. The site is nearing 1,000 members (reader membership is free), and once we hit the magic number, we're holding a drawing. The winner, chosen from the original 1,000, wins a bunch of free stuff. So hit the site and join now!
stevenharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I have been to the website a few times and there are some books that I might be interested in, but I find I am put off by the available formats, largely PDF and online access. Consequently, I don't bother exploring any further and, probably more important to the authors, I don't buy anything. I have suggested this before, but with little success, that at minimum every title should also be offered in ePub, a format that an increasing number of devices can read. Perhaps you would have more influence as a member.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Ditto...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
And me too.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Me Too. It shouldn't be too hard to take the HTML versions and transform them into Mobipocket, ePUB and LRF (Calibre springs to mind as a quick method).

I do like the prices and lack of DRM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenharper View Post
There's a web site called Book View Cafe, and it's a co-op of professional science fiction and fantasy authors. (Full disclosure here: I'm a member.) The site exists so its members can publicize their work and make it available to readers on-line.

BVC has a lot of fiction available for download, both free and for purchase, and without DRMs. The books and stories are in HTML, PDF, and MobiPocket.

Some of the site's authors include Ursula K. LeGuin, Sarah Zettel, Vonda McIntyre, Judith Tarr, and Brenda Clough. And me.

Anyway, the URL is http://www.bookviewcafe.com/ . I have a handful of free stories up, and I'm working on putting up more: http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.ph...iks-Bookshelf/

And at the moment, BVC is holding a contest. The site is nearing 1,000 members (reader membership is free), and once we hit the magic number, we're holding a drawing. The winner, chosen from the original 1,000, wins a bunch of free stuff. So hit the site and join now!
I love the idea, it's a definite step forward for authors to be gathering and creating these communities (the best way in my opinion) but for readers we need ePub and the registration must be a value-added proposition, not a gate-keeping mechanism keeping us away from downloads and the like.

Saying all that, I will be joining in the hopes that these minor annoyances will dissipate in time
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
suelange
Connoisseur
suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
Thank you all for responding to Steven's post. I'm also a member of BVC. My ebook is available there in multiple formats. (http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Sue-Lange/) Vonda McIntyre also has her ebooks in multiple formats (http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.ph...a-N.-McIntyre/).

We are working on getting the rest of the content in multiple formats. Sorry it's taken so long. We are listening, though. Check back again some time.

Sue Lange
suelange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by suelange View Post
Thank you all for responding to Steven's post. I'm also a member of BVC. My ebook is available there in multiple formats. (http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Sue-Lange/) Vonda McIntyre also has her ebooks in multiple formats (http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.ph...a-N.-McIntyre/).

We are working on getting the rest of the content in multiple formats. Sorry it's taken so long. We are listening, though. Check back again some time.

Sue Lange
Thanks Sue
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
stevenharper
Connoisseur
stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevenharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
We're working on it as we speak! Watch this space for more developments. (The main obstacle is that our current file managing software doesn't want to let us work with other file formats, and we're fighting with it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I have been to the website a few times and there are some books that I might be interested in, but I find I am put off by the available formats, largely PDF and online access. Consequently, I don't bother exploring any further and, probably more important to the authors, I don't buy anything. I have suggested this before, but with little success, that at minimum every title should also be offered in ePub, a format that an increasing number of devices can read. Perhaps you would have more influence as a member.

Last edited by stevenharper; 07-17-2009 at 09:29 AM.
stevenharper is offline   Reply With Quote