Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Thumbs up Boyd Morrison - 3 free novels (PDF/mobi) - [Offer Expired]

http://www.boydmorrison.com/

While crusing a part of the subsection of Kindle's bestseller list, I noticed that a new book that was only $.99. When I went to the author's site to find out more information about him and his book, I found out that he is giving away all three of his novels for free in both .PDF and .MOBI

The reviews for all three are pretty positive.

Remember if you really enjoy them, please write a review on Amazon or purchase them from the Kindle store (they are very cheap $1-1.50 each)

Quote:
Thanks for visiting my web site. While I work on my next novel, I am offering you my unpublished novels for free download. It’s a great deal for both of us. You get to sample my work at no cost, and I get to build a fan base as I go forward with my career.

My ultimate goal is to become a published author. I have made great progress so far by receiving marvelous blurbs from NY Times bestselling authors and by retaining the services of respected literary agent Irene Goodman. If this site helps me get published, fantastic. At the very least, my books will be read, and for a novelist, that’s a wonderful feeling. In the meantime, I continue to write.

I hope you enjoy my books. If you do, please recommend them to friends and family, and feel free to drop me a line. With your help, someday my dream will come true, and my novels will be available in bookstores everywhere.
The three novels are

The Ark

Quote:
Dilara Kenner, an ambitious young archaeologist, must run for her life when an old friend is murdered right in front of her. Before he dies in her arms, he gasps a few cryptic words about a vast conspiracy to hide an awesome historical artifact and tells Dilara that the only person who can help her is a decorated former Army combat engineer named Tyler Locke.

Two days later, Locke is consulting on a North Atlantic oil platform when a ferry helicopter carrying Dilara suffers a mechanical failure and goes down next to the rig. With only minutes before the survivors freeze to death in the frigid waters, the quick-thinking Locke manages to rescue everyone on board, including Dilara. She tells him that the helicopter crash was no accident. Someone wants to stop her from finding Noah’s Ark.

A second attempt on Dilara’s life convinces a skeptical Locke that there is truth to her story. When a movie star’s private jet crashes into the Mojave desert, it proves to be another link to the conspiracy. Locke and Dilara head to Arizona, and their investigation reveals a chilling discovery. A group of religious fanatics has recovered a weapon from the Ark that will let them recreate the effects of the biblical flood and mold the remnants of humanity according to their leader’s twisted vision.

Now Locke and Dilara have just seven days to find the Ark and the secret hidden inside before it is used to wipe out civilization again…
The Palmyra Impact

Quote:
Over the remote central Pacific, an airliner halfway through its Memorial Day flight from Los Angeles to Sydney is suddenly rocked by a massive explosion. Despite the pilot’s valiant efforts, the blast sends it plummeting into the ocean, leaving no witnesses to the fireball.

Kai Tanaka, the new and untested director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Honolulu, notes a minor seismic disturbance in that region but doesn’t make the connection with the lost airplane. There’s no reason to be worried about his wife, who is the manager of a luxury hotel, or his daughter, who is enjoying the sunny holiday morning at Waikiki with friends.

But when all contact with Christmas Island and its 3000 inhabitants is lost, Kai is the first to realize that Hawaii faces a catastrophe of epic proportions: in one hour, a series of massive waves will wipe out Honolulu. He has just sixty minutes to save the lives of a million people, including his wife and daughter…
The Adamas Blueprint

Quote:
Kevin, a Ph.D. student in chemistry, is stunned by the news that his graduate advisor, Michael Ward, has died in a fire. Then Kevin receives a cryptic email message from Ward, sent just before his death. According to the message, Ward was being chased by someone intent on obtaining a notebook with the results of a supposedly failed experiment Kevin and Ward had worked on together.

Before Kevin can make sense of the message, Ward’s attackers try to kill him. Labeled a crank by the police, Kevin escapes the gun-wielding assailants and unwittingly draws his girlfriend, a medical student named Erica Jensen, into their sights. Their flight leads them to the notebook, which reveals that Kevin unknowingly participated in one of the most important discoveries of the century, a chemical process called Adamas that is worth billions of dollars.

Alone and on the run from deadly assassins, Kevin and Erica have to stay alive long enough to prove to the world that Adamas actually works…

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-01-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: offer expired - Dr. Drib
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Of course, none of the metadata on the PRCs are set correctly.

Still, free is free!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Of course, none of the metadata on the PRCs are set correctly.

Still, free is free!
Email the author and tell him

boyd (at) boydmorrison (dot) com

He seems like a decent guy. I bet he would either fix the files or put up fixed files if you sent them to him.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Is it possible to convert mobipocket to HTML without loosing formatting, such as italics and bold?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I'm always a sucker for an archaeological adventure. Thanks for the info!
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Is it possible to convert mobipocket to HTML without loosing formatting, such as italics and bold?
Yes, just use calibre's mobi2oeb. [link]
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I'm halfway through 'The Ark' and I'm enjoying it very much.

There's not a focus on archaeology yet, but I can see that will possibly happen later in the book. I like the engineering detail and descriptions.

Boyd, if you ever read this, I'm along for the ride. I was right there with the 2 main characters while I was reading. They're interesting, likeable and developing complexity.

The metadata's incorrect, but the Mobi file is reasonable quality. I'd happily have paid for this ebook - its a wonderful read so far.

I'd be happy to write a review on Amazon as the original poster suggests (and an ebook author would appreciate) - however you have to purchase from Amazon to be able to write a review there. Amazon won't let me purchase an ebook, as I'm not in America. I'm not interested in buying print books from Amazon - although this is generously allowed by them.

Last edited by cbell; 04-04-2009 at 05:44 PM.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
justlizz
Connoisseur
justlizz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Boyd thanks for the books I am saving them for my holidays at the end of May so no feedback till late June but I will when I have read them
lizz
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
JRM34857
Enthusiast
JRM34857 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 / Kindle 3 / Nook Touch
Thanks for the books Boyd. I can't wait to try them out. You should include a paypal tip jar on your web site. I would gladly leave you some cash......
JRM34857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Hi Boydm, I'm pleased you've joined us at Mobileread!

I downloaded 'The Arc' from your website after I read Sporadic's first post yesterday. I read the first half of your book in one sitting - I was very late to bed last night!

I'm off now - just going to take in a couple more chapters...
Old 04-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
JenPen1
Connoisseur
JenPen1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS505 (given away), Sony 650 Touch, LG Nexus 4, Kobo Arc
Thanks Boyd

I just downloaded all 3 books. I am going away on holidays in May and hope to be able to read all of them, and I will then get back to you and let you know what's up.
Actually, I have already started the first one 'The Ark' so I might get back to you before the end of May at this rate.

Good luck with the next endeavor.

~Jen
JenPen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Boyd, thanks for responding to our e-mails. It is always great to have authors participate in the forums.

Have you considered offering your books in more formats? A lot of people are using the Sony Readers and the epub or lrf format is a much nicer reading experience.

If you do consider offering other formats, there are a lot very helpful members that are very experienced in converting. Just ask and I am sure you will get a response

Thank you again for sharing your work with us.

Last edited by dreams; 10-01-2010 at 05:15 AM. Reason: removed personal info
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #13
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
The mobi's were very easy to convert into IMP format.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #14
Sporadic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
I'd be happy to write a review on Amazon as the original poster suggests (and an ebook author would appreciate) - however you have to purchase from Amazon to be able to write a review there. Amazon won't let me purchase an ebook, as I'm not in America. I'm not interested in buying print books from Amazon - although this is generously allowed by them.
That's strange. I haven't bought the book but it will let me post a review. Are you logged into your Amazon account? Maybe it's an American only thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydm View Post
Hi Everyone!

A couple of readers sent me the link to this great forum. Thanks to Sporadic for the original post about my site. And thanks to CBell for the wonderful feedback.

SirBruce, thanks for letting me know about the metadata. I'm new to the Mobipocket format, so that's the source of my error. I'll get it fixed as soon as I can.

I'm glad to be a new member of this site, and I hope that you enjoy my books! Feel free to send me any feedback you care to, either as a post or to my email at boyd@boydmorrison.com.

Cheers,
Boyd
Thanks for the praise Boyd. I hope that fourth time is the charm for you.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
cbell
Frenetic

Hi Sporadic, I think you have to buy 'anything' from Amazon to be allowed to write a review.

I logged in to my Amazon account and I tried to write a book review. I receive this message:

"Want to write a customer review?

To write a customer review: you must have used this account to complete a purchase* of an item from Amazon.com. Please wait 24 hours after your first purchase before writing a review.

If you have another account: and you have already used it to make a purchase, you can sign into that account to write a review.
"

* A purchase requirement is used to maintain review quality

See http://www.amazon.com/review/guideli...uidelines.html

"Who can create customer reviews?
Customers! Anyone who has purchased items from Amazon and is in good standing in the Amazon community can create reviews.
"

Last edited by cbell; 04-04-2009 at 10:04 PM.