Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Paperwhite vs. Basic $69 Kindle: screen and reading experience comparison

Hi all,

I would like to ask, especially those of you who have have both, for a comparison between screens, contrasts, font clarity and reading experiences between the Kindle Paperwhite (PW) and the new basic black Kindle (K4B).

My question is very specific: I know almost everything about other differences between the two (case, PW's lighting, touchscreen vs. buttons, user interface, and so on, and so on).

So I would like to know what you guys think about my specific question, especially if you compare the two keeping the PW's light off (ok, I know it doesn't really turn off) and in reasonably well ambient light conditions.

Any picture for comparison would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
I too would like to know this -- thanks for asking the question. I would also like to hear about the reading experience comparison between the Paperwhite (with light off) and the Nook Simple Touch (unlighted version).
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
I've owned all of those mentioned - the Nook ST, Nook ST w/ Glow, Kindle PW, Kindle 4B/S (plus a few others not mentioned).

The Kindle 4B is probably the best reading experience I've had on an e-ink device, in a lit room. The screen is one of the whitest I've seen (surpassing the T1, haven't seen the T2), letters are darker, and due to lacking the IR bezel depth, it's more pronounced than the Nook ST (Non-glow) or many other IR readers.

The Nook ST had a noticeably greyer background than the Kindle 4B.

In comparison to the Paperwhite, the unlit KPW will appear more "washed out"..I think the NST contrast "pops" out more. Honestly, the NST is a pretty good reader...bested by the K4B though in my opinion. Both the NST w/ Glow and KPW looked washed out in comparison.

Regarding KPW vs K4B - KPW unlit looks washed out in comparison. The gorgeous white screen of the K4B isn't on the KPW, and either the touch or light layer makes the the contrast..less. Keep in mind the light (even at 0) is always present on the KPW..you won't notice it in lit rooms, but if you move in the shade, you'll see it begin glowing. With the K4B, I found the contrast alone worked well for reading in the shade..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
I've owned all of those mentioned - the Nook ST, Nook ST w/ Glow, Kindle PW, Kindle 4B/S (plus a few others not mentioned).

The Kindle 4B is probably the best reading experience I've had on an e-ink device, in a lit room. The screen is one of the whitest I've seen (surpassing the T1, haven't seen the T2), letters are darker, and due to lacking the IR bezel depth, it's more pronounced than the Nook ST (Non-glow) or many other IR readers.

The Nook ST had a noticeably greyer background than the Kindle 4B.

In comparison to the Paperwhite, the unlit KPW will appear more "washed out"..I think the NST contrast "pops" out more. Honestly, the NST is a pretty good reader...bested by the K4B though in my opinion. Both the NST w/ Glow and KPW looked washed out in comparison.

Regarding KPW vs K4B - KPW unlit looks washed out in comparison. The gorgeous white screen of the K4B isn't on the KPW, and either the touch or light layer makes the the contrast..less. Keep in mind the light (even at 0) is always present on the KPW..you won't notice it in lit rooms, but if you move in the shade, you'll see it begin glowing. With the K4B, I found the contrast alone worked well for reading in the shade..
Where can I buy the Kindle 4B? I see 4BG.. what is diff between Kindle 4 or 4B.. 4BG.. etc. I want the one you like and where to I get one?
Thanks in advance..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Here's the K4B and the KPW. The 1st picture is the K4B and the 2nd is the KPW, with the 2 side by side.

The K4B is the best device if you don't need 3G or night reading. If you do a lot of reading at night, I still think the KPW is a better device than the K4B with the built in light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	3046
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	94259   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	3014
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	94260   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	3804
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	94261  
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
johndoesecond, you might find this video helpful as it compares the K4B to the PW.

iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
Where can I buy the Kindle 4B? I see 4BG.. what is diff between Kindle 4 or 4B.. 4BG.. etc. I want the one you like and where to I get one?
Thanks in advance..
K4B can be found at Amazon, Staples and Best Buy. Do not get a Silver version it's a gamble and why pay the same price when the Black is a much improved reader with better contrast.

It's called the $69 Kindle by Amazon.

We have reports that some stores are trying to sell the silver and keep the black version in the back. You have to ask for it.

There is no K4G it's K4S and K4B which run the same firmware so they are referred to as K4s but the K4B has the better contrast, improved backing and less stiff page buttons.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-17-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
K4B can be found at Amazon, Staples and Best Buy. Do not get a Silver version it's a gamble and why pay the same price when the Black is a much improved reader with better contrast.

It's called the $69 Kindle by Amazon.

We have reports that some stores are trying to sell the silver and keep the black version in the back. You have to ask for it.

There is no K4G it's K4S and K4B which run the same firmware so they are referred to as K4s but the K4B has the better contrast, improved backing and less stiff page buttons.
Thanks for the info.. I will search one out today.. I really don't need it, but I like Toys.. like Yogi Berra says "If you don't have it, that is why you need it"
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Sorry to come into your thread but I was wondering how the kindle keyboard with its latest software update compares to the pw or k4. I now find the font on the k3 too dark. I'm hoping that the pw's fonts are not as dark. I quite like the display on the touch but would like the pw to be a bit darker and crisper but not as dark as the k3.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
Thanks in advance..
K4B is the new BLACK version, K4S is last years SILVER model. Although the firmware is the same for both, there is a significant difference between them. Make sure you are buying the Black model, and it comes in a black box, where the Silver comes in a brown box.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The font on the k3 is dark. I guess you don't like it, but I do. Maybe you mean it's too bold? because I don't think the text can be too dark. You want it dark, right, for good contrast.

On the k3 you can install your own font and adjust the weight to exactly what you want. Problem solved.

To me, the font on the pw is both too fine and a bit faded, not as black as on the K3. I try all the fonts and the best one for me is helvetica, but it's not as dark as helvetica on k3.

I'm torn. Besides color blob issues, I like the k3 better for day reading. I have soent lots of time reading, switching between the two. With good bright light, the k3 is easier to read on for me. My eyes feel more relaxed. Besides darker text, the eink background is lighter. Despite what amazon claims, i think the k3 has naturally better contrast. I have to turn up the light on pw to around 8 to match the k3. Obviously, I can make the pw lighter by turning it up above 8, and in darker condition, the pw light wins.

One thing I notice about the pw is it is like LCD in one respect. It looks better when the room isn't so bright . Then the light does its work and you see the contrast. You don't want a dark room, though, because then the light unevenness and color blobs become prominent. So the optimal light condition for the pw is moderately bright room with Pw light around 15. For the k3, optimum is as bright as you can get without needing sun block

Given the k3 and pw in their respective optimal condition, I prefer the k3. The pw LOOKS nicer. I look at it and think yeah that's nice. But somehow when I start extended reading, the k3 feel better. I feel more relaxed. I'm not conscious about reading on a screen. Something about the light and the diffusion layer takes away from the eink experience.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Sorry to come into your thread but I was wondering how the kindle keyboard with its latest software update compares to the pw or k4. I now find the font on the k3 too dark. I'm hoping that the pw's fonts are not as dark. I quite like the display on the touch but would like the pw to be a bit darker and crisper but not as dark as the k3.
I loved the way the fonts looked after the update on the Keyboard. It was really nice.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I loved the way the fonts looked after the update on the Keyboard. It was really nice.
Agreed. I like it so much. I kinda took it back from hubby. It's not like he was using it and I got tired of using the K4S as my upstairs reader. The contrast is just too poor after reading on the K4B.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Sorry to come into your thread but I was wondering how the kindle keyboard with its latest software update compares to the pw or k4...
It's hard to do a direct comparison because it comes down to whether the light is on or not, but comparing my K3K with my new KPW, I'd say the text isn't as dark on the KPW. This may be in part because with the light off, the contrast is not as good on the KPW as it is on the K3K - the background is more "white" on the K3K, surprisingly enough. The backrgound on the KPW only gets better with the light on, which tends to slightly wash out the blackness of the text, so the contrast isnt as good on that either. Overall I'd say the KPW comes off as a little "softer on the eyes" for better or for worse.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Thanks for the replies. I've just watched the comparison video and it has helped me to articulate what I mean about the k3's new fonts since the update. They are now bolder which I do not like, I find the fonts on the touch whilst not as bold to better because they are sharper and clearer to me. As the fonts on the paperwhite are not as bold/dark as those on the k3 I think I will like them.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote