Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Email Client with Exchange Support (Rooted NOOKcolor)

If the Gmail and Yahoo! apps aren't sufficient for you...

This process enables a generalized email client that can talk to any imap, pop, or exchange email server.

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Email
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
If the Gmail and Yahoo! apps aren't sufficient for you...

This process enables a generalized email client that can talk to any imap, pop, or exchange email server.

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Email
Just a general question. What's the purpose of an email client? I use various web mail accounts that more than meet my needs.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Just a general question. What's the purpose of an email client? I use various web mail accounts that more than meet my needs.
Well, for me I don't like keeping some of my more personal emails out on the "web" on an internet server, no matter how secure that server is, but that's just my quirk. I would much rather download them to my own PC or other device and have them behind my own firewalls, getting them off the "web". Again, my own personal quirk.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
Well, for me I don't like keeping some of my more personal emails out on the "web" on an internet server, no matter how secure that server is, but that's just my quirk. I would much rather download them to my own PC or other device and have them behind my own firewalls, getting them off the "web". Again, my own personal quirk.
I never save emails. I read them, then delete them.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:

I delete most of them, too, but for me sometimes I get information that I need to keep for my personal and business records. Those are the ones that I download to my PC/devices and do not want kept on a public web server.
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I delete most of them, too, but for me sometimes I get information that I need to keep for my personal and business records. Those are the ones that I download to my PC/devices and do not want kept on a public web server.
I leave all my work behind when I leave for the day and never bring it home or access it on my time. If there are emails to read, I do it on company time. So I've never needed email clients or office software on my computer. The result is I know little about these programs.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
leday
Groupie

I work from home exclusively (telecommute) so I can't leave my business communications behind at the office. I also have personal info emails, receipts for things I purchase, communications with financial institutions for personal accounts, etc that I need to save. My home email is not just for social communications so I don't really want to leave it on the web.

Last edited by leday; 12-20-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I think you are a bit naive. It doesn't matter if you delete your emails right after reading them. If they were on a web server they will be around for a LONG time. I personally think people who live in the cloud are destined for trouble in the end. Too much of your personal life, a heck of a lot more than you think, is stored on the web and accessible to people you don't even know and have never heard of.

I cannot understand why people insist that webmail like Gmail and web calendars like Google's are the way to go. You might as well just snail mail all your personal data to everyone in the world.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think you are a bit naive. It doesn't matter if you delete your emails right after reading them. If they were on a web server they will be around for a LONG time. I personally think people who live in the cloud are destined for trouble in the end. Too much of your personal life, a heck of a lot more than you think, is stored on the web and accessible to people you don't even know and have never heard of.

I cannot understand why people insist that webmail like Gmail and web calendars like Google's are the way to go. You might as well just snail mail all your personal data to everyone in the world.
I don't care. I don't email personal info, other than info used for online purchases. Since that info is scattered all over the web to begin with, I don't care if it's also in my webmail.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
leday
Groupie

Your original question was "what was the purpose (read "use") of having an email client?" That has been answered (because people do not want their personal information to remain stored "all over the web"). If you "don't care" whether you have your personal information on the web, then an email client will not be useful to you, but others do care so it is useful to them.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Your original question was "what was the purpose (read "use") of having an email client?" That has been answered (because people do not want their personal information to remain stored "all over the web"). If you "don't care" whether you have your personal information on the web, then an email client will not be useful to you, but others do care so it is useful to them.
Are you saying that an email sent through an email client is never stored (even temporarily) on a server?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
leday
Groupie

It is removed from the server when you download it to your client. It is not Permanently stored on the server or remains on the web permanently, which is what I do not want. As I said, people do not want their information to REMAIN stored on the server. If we have to KEEP some of our emailed information for our records or whatnot, rather than simply "deleting" them, we want it in our own personal databases and not stored indefinitely on a public web server.

Last edited by leday; 12-20-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

And the information that I email or is emailed to me is already stored in the servers of several dozen businesses. Since Amazon has it, I really don't care if Microsoft has it.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
leday
Groupie

That is OK for YOU. I get that. However, I have information from communications directly with my bank, also personal information communicated from my employer (I mentioned that I work from home exclusively), personal information from family regarding various items that I need to save and not delete and so forth that go above and beyond mere purchases from online retailers like Amazon. Many businesses may have some information on their web servers, but I do not want all of my personal correspondence etc. stored permanently on my ISP's (i.e. Comcast) general web server. Again, your "general question" was answered (Question: what is the use of an email client....Answer: because many people do not want to LEAVE their information and personal correspondence on a public web server), so I do not understand your need to continually justify why an email client is not useful to YOU personally. If you do not care whether Microsoft has it, then that's cool, but it doesn't mean that those of us who do not want our information left on the server are foolish for wanting to use an email client (which comes across from the tone of your replies...if I am reading them wrong I apologize). Anyway, that is the answer to your original question so, 'nuff said I suppose.

Last edited by leday; 12-20-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
...so I do not understand your need to continually justify why an email client is not useful to YOU personally.
Probably for the same reason you keep doing it.