Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
tuskin
Enthusiast
tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, Surface 3
Books without swear words - there's an app for that

Clean Reader cleans your books:
http://www.theguardian.com/books/boo...ace-swearwords.

tuskin
tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Piss on that.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Piss on that.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Screw that! It's censorship.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
What the hell is wrong with the word 'damn'?

Here's the example given in The Guardian article (as linked by OP):
“Pick up your damn game, Bobby”, becomes “Pick up your darn game, Bobby”

Here's a word meaning I got when I entered 'damn meaning' into Google search:

damn/dam
verb
past participle: damned

Spoiler:
(in Christian belief) be condemned by God to suffer eternal punishment in hell.
"I treated her badly and I'll be damned to hell for it"
be doomed to misfortune or failure.
verb: damn; 3rd person present: damns; past tense: damned; gerund or present participle: damning
"the enterprise was damned"
criticize strongly.
"the book damns her husband"
synonyms: condemn, censure, criticize, attack, denounce, deplore, decry, revile, inveigh against; More
blame, chastise, castigate, berate, upbraid, reprimand, rebuke, reprove, reprehend, take to task, find fault with, give someone/something a bad press;
deprecate, disparage;
informalslam, hammer, lay into, cane, blast;
informalslate, slag off, have a go at;
archaicslash, reprobate;
rareexcoriate, vituperate, arraign, objurgate, anathematize
"we are certainly not going to damn a product just because it is non-traditional"
antonyms: acclaim, praise
curse (someone or something).
"she cleared her throat, damning it for its huskiness"
synonyms: curse, put a curse on, put the evil eye on, execrate, imprecate, hoodoo; More
anathematize, excommunicate;
hex;
informalput a jinx on, jinx;
rareaccurse
"if we did not believe in God, we would be damned"
antonyms: bless

exclamation
informal
exclamation: damn

expressing anger or frustration.
"Damn! I completely forgot!"

adjective
informal
adjective: damn

used for emphasis, especially to express anger or frustration.
"turn that damn thing off!"
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Reading the Article further, it seems that the censorship idea and carriage can be attributed to:

'The app is the brainchild of a mother and father from Idaho, Jared and Kirsten Maughan, who were concerned when their daughter began reading library books with “pretty significant swear words”. They couldn’t find an app that would help them remove the offensive words, so they worked with the Chicago firm Page Foundry to create a “profanity-filtering” programme.'

I have no intentions of poking my finger at these people in the US, because we've no doubt got the same wowsers here in Aus just waiting for a bandwagon to jump on.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I downloaded it for my phone last week, just to see what it would make of one of my books, but I couldn't figure out where you're supposed to put them. There's nothing to set your ebook directory, and no information with the app for how to open them.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
...'The app is the brainchild of a mother and father from Idaho, Jared and Kirsten Maughan, who were concerned when their daughter began reading library books with “pretty significant swear words”. They couldn’t find an app that would help them remove the offensive words, so they worked with the Chicago firm Page Foundry to create a “profanity-filtering” programme.'
Brainchild is not exactly the term I would use.

Because darn is so much better? Seriously? It's the intent of the statement that really matters and if you are too blargging dumb to have the discussion with your kid about what they are reading you deserve to have them cussing you out all the time.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
'The app is the brainchild of a mother and father from Idaho, Jared and Kirsten Maughan, who were concerned when their daughter began reading library books with “pretty significant swear words”. They couldn’t find an app that would help them remove the offensive words, so they worked with the Chicago firm Page Foundry to create a “profanity-filtering” programme.'\
Unless their child is home-schooled, she's going to learn **many more** swear words from her fellow students than she'll ever read in a book. And what the hell are they going to do with the paper books she ends up checking out.

And I'm curious how classics like Mark Twain's Huck Finn will be rendered.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Should make reading that Phallus Van Dyke biography quite interesting.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #11
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Depending on how, exactly, they are accomplishing this in terms of technology, it also may be a violation of copyright in the US. See Clean Films.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Wow, there really is an app for everything. All hail the contextual blender.

But I guess irresponsible parents need any excuse they can get for their childrens' language.

I would hazard a guess that most children learn the majority of their cursing from their parents, with non-family human interaction (for the homeschooled) coming in a close second. Of a wide variety of popular YAF/SF/F I have read, profanity hardly registers on the scale -- although many books of Fantasy will include some form of Hell, with accompanying damnation -- which should make for a very confusing book.
The exception would I guess be Heck: Where the Bad Kids Go --they already do their own.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I think I am going to read To Heck and Back next.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #14
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I seem to remember that this company provided a "clean" version of "Titanic." Never mind hundreds of people dying, but you wouldn't want kids to see Kate Winslet being drawn "like one of your French girls."

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Depending on how, exactly, they are accomplishing this in terms of technology, it also may be a violation of copyright in the US. See Clean Films.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Wow, there really is an app for everything. All hail the contextual blender.

But I guess irresponsible parents need any excuse they can get for their childrens' language.

I would hazard a guess that most children learn the majority of their cursing from their parents, with non-family human interaction (for the homeschooled) coming in a close second. Of a wide variety of popular YAF/SF/F I have read, profanity hardly registers on the scale -- although many books of Fantasy will include some form of Hell, with accompanying damnation -- which should make for a very confusing book.
The exception would I guess be Heck: Where the Bad Kids Go --they already do their own.
I'm sorry, but not only does this piss me right the hell off, it's just another bloody version of the electronic baby-sitter, isn't it? I mean, now, not only will the TV and Internet and digital games babysit your child, so you don't HAVE to, now the accursed freaking app will read the book FOR you, and pre-censor it, so you don't have to be adequately well-educated to have read your own child's reading material, FIRST, to be a competent parent?

That is just a giant steaming pile of frakking s**t.

And, BTW: I learned to swear serving my country in the Army. CENSOR THAT.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote