Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
Hermes_pan
Hermes_pan began at the beginning.

Device: none
No problem using US. store for Canada/overseas Kindle according to Amazon!

So, either posters on this forum are misinformed, those posts are out if date or the the staff at Amazon doesn't know the policies of the company!

I just enquired at Amazon customer service the following...

Q: I bought a Kindle in Canada. I haven't yet taken it out of the box. I want to be able to order from wherever I am in the world (I neglected to mention specifically EBOOKS and digital audio books simply because I forget and he made no distinction. In hindsight it must be obvious as a Kindle can't read paper books!) I have VISA cards from several Asian countries and Canada. I want to access US. store.
A: NO PROBLEM, as long as billing address matches card
Q: So it doesn't matter if I use my Canadian, Hong Kong or Singapore card - I can purchase from US store?
A: Correct

No talk of matching ISPs, where kindle was purchased, etc.

Q: How do I know if I have a US. or a int'l model of Kindle?
A: There is only one, not two

Q: Do I register on line?
A: You do it on the device itself.

Comments from Canadians living and working in Asia please.
Hermes_pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Hermes_pan

First guy said 'as long as your billing address matches card' Then he mentioned Canada. I corrected him that soon I will be in Singapore, WHICH card I did not specify and neither did he. I have a wallet full of cards

Not trusting the accuracy of what he told me (and US residents tend too have a myopic world view) I called again and got somebody else

Here are my gleanings from that conversation, though I admit it is confusing and complicated. I like simplicity and absence of restrictions - which is why I buy gold not stocks - too many rules and regulations surrounding paper investments including that one doesn't get bearer financial instruments anymore, the stock isn't even in your name, you don't even get a document other than digital. I like things I can feel (literally)and that I understand and grok. I don't grok digital.

Anyway, what the second English- fluent Filipina told me...

Notes may be out of sequential order.

There are numerous devices - so e work only in Japan, some work only in USA (I forget countries. I asked for a list so I could decide where to go in the world for what. She ignored my request. Maybe it's a company secret. Or they don't even know. Many other times I will contact companies asking for lists of worldwide distributors so I can decide where to buy what. Seems companies don't have an organizational chart that is international

Anyway, She also said that there is an int'l Kindle. Much of what she said contradicted what the first Amazon rep told me.

Q: Where do I buy the intternational version?
A: She started to tell me but I stopped her as I already have a kindle. I want to make sure IT can be used in foreign countries, not buy a second Kindle.

She asked me the serial number in order to determine whether it is an int'l Kindle.

It is on receipt. Tells me it us a 4th generation Kindle.

q: Do I register it to Amazon.ca or Amazon.com (USA)?
A: Where do you spend most of your time?
Q: No one place, I am constantly moving, a week here, a week there.
A: If you are travelling US store more practical. If the marketplace of that device is in Canada it will be restricted to Canada.
Q: But I want to buy from US store.
A: Then try to register it to US store.
Q: I am less interested in maybes and possibles. I want to know with certainty in advance what will work and what will not, in particular what actions lock device/a count in that can't easily be changed. Precision please! OK, I just thought that. But I did ask 'OK, TRY to register to US store, but in Canada, in Hong Kong, where will work? [I never know how much of confusion is my technical incompetence, how much is staff incompetence, how much is changed policies and how much deliberate obsfucation - as in they DON'T WANT ME TO KNOW]
A: If I register in Hong Kong then bring the device into CanAda Hong Kong books might disappear
Q: [Might? Maybe? Possibly? What are the rules? Grrr]
A: But even then we can solve this by migrating content
q: Foes Amazon do that or I can?
A: Sometimes all you have to do is change country settings

A: Does Singapore have its own store or does its billing address customers purchase from US. store?
A: It's not about the device, it's about the items purchased
Q: And the account?
A: Yes. And if registered under .com migration is easier

Q: Just to be crystal clear on this - I have NO US CREDIT CARD. Which of the following countries can purchase from .com: Singapore, Cambodia, Hong Kong [u see I am hoping that if unlike Canada they do not have their own store I can beat tgd Amazon system by using my offshore bank cards - hey if Amazon itself and Google can do so with tax havens the little guy should be able to too]

FINAL AUTHORITATIVE ANSWER: As long as those bank cards allow foreign charges you can register using those.

But I never found out if I have to physically be outside of Canada/USA or it doesn't matter.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:03 AM   #3
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
1. Books, when bought, will never 'disappear' if you go to another region. Books bought are tied to the particular kindle account used to buy, no matter where you physically are.
2. Some regions, by default, will present an empty Kindle store if you're there, for eg. Singapore. ('this title is not available...' Need to change region to US.)
3. Registering a Kindle is not an issue. Buying ebooks, while in those regions, is. (Or at least, sometimes is).

Last edited by jeffyen; 08-23-2014 at 04:10 AM.
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:28 AM   #4
Hermes_pan

I just registered my Kindle purchased in Canada while I am physically in Canada,using my Canadian VISA debit card with a Canadian billing address and 'invoicing' address. I feel a bit railroaded. Nowhere in the procedure was I asked 'Where do you spend most of your time? the answer of which would have been 5 southeast Asian countries NOT Canada. I am concerned that if I start buying books while in Cambodia and Indonesia there could be a problem (especially as I have no time to select and downliad books in Canada. My plane leaves in 14 hours.

Last edited by Hermes_pan; 08-25-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:58 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nobody has ever said that there's a problem using "amazon.com" if you're not in the US. What people have said is that the books you'll be able to buy depend on your location. ie not everybody sees the same selection of books on amazon.com.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes_pan View Post
I just registered my Kindle purchased in Canada while I am physically in Canada,using my Canadian VISA debit card with a Canadian billing address and 'invoicing' address. I feel a bit railroaded. Nowhere in the procedure was I asked 'Where do you spend most of your time? the answer of which would have been 5 southeast Asian countries NOT Canada. I am concerned that if I start buying books while in Cambodia and Indonesia there could be a problem (especially as I have no time to select and downliad books in Canada. My plane leaves in 14 hours.
I don't think it's a problem. The worst case scenario would be for them to email you and ask about your location.. Just say you work in SEAsia but you're a Canadian.

If you can't see the book selections while in Asia, you may need a vpn with a canadian ip address.

Last edited by jeffyen; 08-25-2014 at 07:03 AM.
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I have been living in Costa Rica for the past 6 months with my Kindles, which were brought and registered in the US. I continue to have access to all of my books and have bought several from Amazon both via the web site and the Kindle itself without difficulty. I continue to have a US card linked to my account. I doubt that the OP will have problems at all.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
I have been living in Costa Rica for the past 6 months with my Kindles, which were brought and registered in the US. I continue to have access to all of my books and have bought several from Amazon both via the web site and the Kindle itself without difficulty. I continue to have a US card linked to my account. I doubt that the OP will have problems at all.
The worst that can happen is that Amazon may eventually contact you and ask you for documentary evidence of your US residence. They do so from time to time. Ie honest people have nothing to be concerned about - working in a different country for a while isn't a problem as far as Amazon are concerned. I think they're only bothered about people who flat out lie about where they live.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-25-2014 at 12:14 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #9
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
a thread comes up like this about every month or so, kindles are 'region free'
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
I have purchased books while on vacation in Germany. Only caveat was that subscriptions would incur a separate charge for international delivery
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote