Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #676
denisea
denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'denisea knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iphone, ipad mini, ipad 1
That did the trick, thank you! I love that now not only can I access my library through OPDS, but I can read descriptions and book info before I download if I choose. Kris, thank you again!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #677
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
Thumbs up

Seriously cool stuff, thanks a lot!
I liked Marvin since I first read about it here, but now with all those improvements, most of all the calibre access, it's really close to perfect for me. Now finally iBooks had to leave its privileged space in the dock and Marvin moved in ...

One thing I would wish for in a future update is an option to make my own collections (or "folders" or "shelves" or whatever) in the library. I don't really need the read/unread option though, as I am sort of a "pick and mix" reader and often go back to read books. Everybody has their own way of reading and using apps, of course, so that may be just me.

Can't wait for the iPhone version now! Would there still be a chance to take part in the beta testing?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #678
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretzer View Post
One thing I would wish for in a future update is an option to make my own collections (or "folders" or "shelves" or whatever) in the library.
Kris confirmed this feature will definitely be available in a future Marvin version.

As to the read/unread feature, there's an easy fix for you... just ignore it. I find it pretty useful to have a shelf of books I'm still about to read, as opposed to those I've already read. All of this will be moot, anyway, as soon as we get the option to create our own arbitrary book shelves.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #679
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisea View Post
would you mind pointing to (or providing) directions on how to connect to calibre via opds catalog through marvin. when I enter the same addresses and credentials I had in stanza I get an error message. I am able to connect via the web interface, so I know it isn't that my calibre server is down.
Typing the address for some reason didn't work for me, but I could also open the web interface. So I just copied the link from the "Feed" button in the top right corner, and that did the trick. It's the easiest anyway - I really don't like typing numbers ...
Old 02-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #680
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Hi Kris, I've been excited every time the app store showed there was an update for my ipad and today, at last, it was for Marvin. I'm looking forward to exploring further, but - thank you so much - I've already accessed my OPDS2 catalogue - the main benefit I was looking for. Now, to discover what else new I can do.
I'm there too, Rachel, just magic. Now, I'll just keep stanza on there for checking for how it works with OS updates... but once the iPhone version of Marvin is out... I think Stanza will, at last, have to go.

@Kris.. are you going to take a bit of a break before you move on to the iPhone version? I'll send my UDID as soon as you ask for it. Mind you, if all the features of the iPad version are included, I'm not sure what, if anything, will need adding, we will just be trying to make it break.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #681
Kretzer
out of depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Kris confirmed this feature will definitely be available in a future Marvin version.

As to the read/unread feature, there's an easy fix for you... just ignore it. I find it pretty useful to have a shelf of books I'm still about to read, as opposed to those I've already read. All of this will be moot, anyway, as soon as we get the option to create our own arbitrary book shelves.
Oh cool, I'm looking forward to that!
I like to keep my books on the devices, as far as space permits, but the lists get messy pretty soon.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #682
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretzer View Post
the lists get messy pretty soon.
Right... This is one of the strongest features of Stanza. Stanza is extremely smart and efficient in the various ways it lets users sort/browse books in the library. One and the same book can be included in several groups/"shelves" in Stanza. Some "shelves" are created automatically by Stanza, like "Recently Opened" (containing the 10 most recent books), or separate folders/"shelves" for every writer, every subject, etc. Marvin would do well to approach Stanza's versatility in this respect as closely as possible.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #683
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
Kris,

Thanks for all the hard work on Marvin. I especially appreciate the paragraph spacing feature! This is really an excellent piece of software and something I will be using daily.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #684
eVeNtInE
eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!eVeNtInE , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
I know 1.2 has just been released, and it seems like a very good update, but is there any idea when 1.3 will be released?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #685
Vega
Vega began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I love the app, and the new update. I was clinging to Stanza until last week when I found Marvin.
Thank you Kris, I'm reading hundreds of books a year on iPad, a great reader app is essential for me. You really should get a donate option. How about a Bitcoin account?

As most of my wish list was addressed in 1.2, I didn't write previously (I did review), but now I have a few suggestions:

OPDS catalog:
- Mass download - selecting more than one book or even a select all option
- looking for catalog on the local network - not a necessity, but nice to have

- I really don't think confirmation is needed every time before downloading a book.
- A back to default option would be practical in the options, especially in cases of themes and brightness/warmth/tint.
- Now that Marvin has a built-in browser, could that be used to search the web (from web menu option)? It could be easier not to switch to safari and back, especially if the built-in browser window can be smaller, and be dismissed with a tap outside of it.
- If this last is possible an other great option would be to add online dictionary search that would be displayed in the same manner. Like search the selected word on thefreedictionary.com (which is one of the best imho, much, much better then the built in dictionary), and display the result in a bubble like pop-up window.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #686
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Thanks everyone! I've noted all your requests and will dedicate the next few update to make the iPad version as feature complete and stable as possible. After that I'll focus on the iPhone version (I'm already working on it).
Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #687
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I'd be interested to know how similar the two apps (iPad/iPhone) are from a coding perspective. Does it make your job as a developer easier or harder to create a single app that works on both? It seems like it would be a little more complicated initially to add the media queries to determine what device it's on, but would make your job easier in the long run to only update a single app.

....Unless of course that would cause Marvin to lose functionality...that would be really BAAAAD! lol
Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #688
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
The main problem is that I went for a completely custom UI, layout, buttons, menus, etc... (for instance, currently the iPad version has about 1,100 individual graphics assets). The iPad/iPhone versions won't be scaled versions of each other - there would be too much compromise. Of course there is a good amount of code that is reusable. The app will be universal though.

My options would be (a) make the iPhone app feature-equivalent to the iPhone version and take longer, or (b) release a good, usable iPhone app faster and make it catch up over a number of updates.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #689
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

(b) seems preferable.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #690
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Thanks Kris.

My preference, if you're asking, would be B) as well...Even a limited Marvin is better than any of the apps I have on my iPhone....I really, really, really, envy my kids when they get to use the iPad to read on....I am stuck with my phone.....
Closed Thread