Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
RTF support question

hi

I've seen there are quite a number of thread re: getting an RTF onto the SONY reader.
Recently I've been trying but seems like the only way that works is to have an MS Word file (.doc) and let the Connect software invoke MS Word when it's uploading it to the reader.
This (behind the scene) creates an RTF file that is displayed by the reader.
Any other way I tried creating an RTF (OCR program, OpenOffice, Open and re-save in WordPad, Open and re-save in MS Word) did not work, the Connect software would hang.
What's the trick?
Has anyone been able to get an RTf onto the Reader?
I hope SONY will fix this in the upcoming Connect sw upgrade...
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I just drag my RTF files directly onto the Reader's entry in the ConnSoft-- I haven't ever tried letting Connect use Word to convert .DOCs to .RTFs.

I don't know of any trick, per se, and I've only had one or two hangs in ... what? ~4 months? I've been handling them mostly through WordPad to keep the file sizes under control, and the only other thing I do consistently is edit them in NotePad and manually add meta-data, but I wouldn't think that would have any effect.

I know that's not much help to you, but I have seen some indications that the update should make some improvement of RTF handling, so there's a bit of hope there.

Maybe somebody else knows a way to make RTFs more agreeable to ConnSoft that I've not noticed?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If size is not a problem, the RTFs created by MS Word work fine in the Reader. As NatCh said they can be loaded directly through ConnSoft (a good name for the CONNECT software program by the way) and I've never had a hic-up with the process for files that did not contain pictures. I have used Stingo's Macro for formatting. The only "trick" I use is to add the title and author to the properties box inside Word rather than through Windows Explorer so it shows up in the Reader. Since all of what I deal with is English language, I have not needed to edit code pages or the like in the meta data. If you are using Notepad or other editors you may need to add the title and author via meta data. Since RTF has a strange (and expansive) way of supporting graphics, these are best left out of files for the Reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

thanks Natch,

I tried opening and re-saving in WordPad. It did shrink the file, the size went down from 300K to about 110K (something like that) but I couldn't get it onto the reader.

I guess there must be something in the file that drives the parser crazy... clearly a bug in their RTF parser.

I wonder why it worked RTF->word->drag&drop->RTF
Old 02-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is a good mystery, sic. I wish I had a guess for you, but at 300kB it's a tiny file, and I can't imagine what could be in it to choke ConnSoft -- clearly it's not full of pictures or some such.
Advert
Old 02-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
sic
Addict

Hmmm
I tried this: open in WordPad, select All, change paragraph to "left justified" with 0 margins.
this fixed it.
Looks like the OCR program set paragraph margins or frames and stuff like that to make it look like it appeared on the original source and that caused problems for the RTF engine when it tried to reflow the text.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic
Looks like the OCR program set paragraph margins or frames and stuff like that to make it look like it appeared on the original source and that caused problems for the RTF engine when it tried to reflow the text.
Heh, I can see where that much detailed formatting info might confuse it, even on a relatively small file.

Glad you worked it out.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I've had only one lockout. It was an Rtf I made from a Pdf. The reason is that I had'nt noticed it was locked.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
sic
Addict

what do you mean "locked" ?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Meaning 'read only'. No modification possible. Word translated it on the computer but the thing took about 5 min. instead of the normal 20-30 sec. It felt OK, then when Itried to transfer it to the reader, everything jammed till I pulled it out. That's when I looked up the document properties.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #11
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I know that's not much help to you, but I have seen some indications that the update should make some improvement of RTF handling, so there's a bit of hope there.

Speaking of Updates, are you referring to a connect software update for the reader? I have mine check and there is never one around. Has there been one or anyone ever see one happen yet?
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yah, it's supposed to be an update to the ConnSoft and the Reader's firmware both. You haven't seen one because they haven't released one yet -- the one we're looking for will be the very first one.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #13
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Oh, okay. Guess I will be keeping my eyes open for it.
Thanks.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well, if you notice it before the rest of us do, remember that we expect you to share!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #15
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Well, if you notice it before the rest of us do, remember that we expect you to share!
Will do.