It looks like it has it all...
PDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
PDowns
Enthusiast
PDowns doesn't litterPDowns doesn't litter

Device: (jetBook)lost in mail;(Kobo;ipod touch;Samsung S
Hybrid Dell Streak Phone-Tablet Goes on Sale This Week

Dell is slated to begin processing U.S. pre-orders for its hybrid smartphone-tablet on Thursday, with the Dell Streak going on sale Friday. Customers who sign up for a two-year service agreement with AT&T will be able to purchase the device for $299.99 -- or for $549.99 without the service contract.

"The Dell Streak has found a way to fit your whole world in a five-inch screen," said Ron Garriques, president of Dell Communication Solutions. "Its unique size will help people discover new ways to enjoy the web, connect with friends, and navigate their lives."

Key Differentiators

The tablet space is an exciting one to be in right now because it's still emerging and with the story still being written, said Kevin Andrew, a member of the Dell Streak development team. However, for a class of device "that sits somewhere between a smartphone and a full netbook or notebook" to succeed, "it needs to do certain activities better than anything else," he said.

One thing that differentiates the Streak from pure-play tablets is that it also can place and receive phone calls over 3G networks, Andrew observed. "What's great about Google is that if you have your contacts in your Google accounts or Gmail, it will actually pull all those contacts down to the phone when you log in for the first time," Andrew said. "So if I ever lost the device, I could actually go in and find those contacts."

Dell is also counting on the Streak's video-conference capabilities to differentiate the device from tablet rivals. Unlike Apple's iPad, the Dell Streak is equipped with a rear five-megapixel camera with dual flash for taking pictures at night as well as a front-facing VGA camera for video chat or snapping self-portraits.

Forrester Research analyst Henry Dewing sees a slightly larger touchscreen smartphone like the Streak as potentially ideal for completing collaboration tasks. "Information workers attend one or more meetings every day, and almost a third of their team members are not colocated with them," Dewing wrote in a blog. "This calls for solutions and devices that enable these mobile workers to communicate and collaborate -- and the Streak fits nicely into market white space to fill this need."
PDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Streak's been out for ages, hasn't it? I've been seeing adverts for it here in the UK for about a year!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Streak's been out for ages, hasn't it? I've been seeing adverts for it here in the UK for about a year!
Only just launched in the US - unusually, it launched here in the UK first, a couple of months or so ago.

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Too bad it's with AT&T. I was ready to buy one but I'm not switching carriers.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Too bad it's with AT&T. I was ready to buy one but I'm not switching carriers.
It's mind boggling that the "off contract" version which costs $550 is still locked to AT&T. You would think Dell could sell this thing better if people could use their own sim vendor.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
It's mind boggling that the "off contract" version which costs $550 is still locked to AT&T. You would think Dell could sell this thing better if people could use their own sim vendor.
Yes. I was hoping they wouldn't lock it. Bummer, because I really like the screen size for reading.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Yes. I was hoping they wouldn't lock it. Bummer, because I really like the screen size for reading.
Yeah a lot of folks, including myself, aren't too happy with that. Though I've heard all you have to do is call AT&T to get an unlock code.

For some reason I thought you already where an AT&T customer, is that not so?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
AT&T doesn't easily unlock it's locked phones, even if you buy it outright, or people wouldn't be unlocking iPhones left and right.

I'd be interested in that size for reading as well, but I'm not touching another Dell product with my dollars. We had nothing but trouble with my husband's Dell stuff, and I haven't been too pleased with some of the enterprise items we're using at work, either.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yeah a lot of folks, including myself, aren't too happy with that. Though I've heard all you have to do is call AT&T to get an unlock code.

For some reason I thought you already where an AT&T customer, is that not so?

=X=
I am with AT&T, but I need unlocked so I can use overseas for months at a time.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
The Streak at first sounds like an interesting device. However the thing that kills my interest, besides the AT&T exclusivity, is that its pixel resolution (800x480) is no better than any smartphones in the 3.7-4.2" range.

Last edited by Dylrob; 08-14-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote