Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Strange Reactions to Kindle

As shocking as it may seem to us, some people STILL don't get the whole kindle/e-reading revolution. Sometimes I get blank stares or hear snickering in the background when I'm using it. I wish I could just give one to everyone so they could understand how awesome it is.

Do you get people asking you all the time why you decided to get yourself a Kindle? I never feel like I have the right answer to satisfy them. No matter if I tell them how easy it is to get books at low prices and read them without eye-strain, I get weird responses like "Yeah but not that many people have a Kindle," as if that is proof of anything. I even had someone say to me once, "I want to get a kindle, but I just don't like to read."

How do people react when they hear about your Kindle or see you using it? What do people do when they are suddenly confronted with the reality of ebooks?
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
most think it is really neat. it's been a great ice breaker at airports, restaurants etc. I get the most bafflement from my mother...
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
The Kindle I currently own was actually a gift for my mother, but she gave it back to me after a few months. She said she just couldn't get used to it. I sure didn't argue, since I had dropped and broke my 505 and had been thinking about replacing it with a Kindle anyway.

I think part of the reason she gave it back to me was just the hassle of people always asking her about it. She's a TA at a grade school, so liked to read on her lunch break. I'm sure the dozens of little kids always running up saying "oh oh, whats that huh huh!?" probably didn't let her get much reading done lol
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post
I think part of the reason she gave it back to me was just the hassle of people always asking her about it. She's a TA at a grade school, so liked to read on her lunch break. I'm sure the dozens of little kids always running up saying "oh oh, whats that huh huh!?" probably didn't let her get much reading done lol
lol I heard about a guy who was using his kindle at a school and a kid ran up to him and had the following conversation:

Boy: What's that?
Guy: It's a kindle.
Boy: Does it have games?
Guy: No, it's just for reading. (before the games were released)
Boy: Here, take a picture. Cheese!
Guy: No, no, you just read books with it.
(Boy looks at him strangely, has a slight spasm, and runs off.)

fin
Old 08-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Twice I've been asked "When are you getting an iPad?"
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
On any given average day 24% reads a book, 81% watches TV, 59% uses their home computer, 71% accesses the internet. (Presumably some at work or other devices).

(Norwegian stats: http://www.ssb.no/aarbok/tab/tab-234.html)

Advert for the Kindle 3 from July 2009 (CollegeHumor):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI0Zry_R4RQ
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Most of the reactions I get at work when I decide to read on breaks is:
"Why would you pay that much to read a book?"
"You mean you STILL have to buy books?"
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
My reaction at work was "How do you turn up the contrast on this thing ... from a guy used to an eyescorching ipod touch" :-)
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
Thanks for sharing. I've never seen that! Hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
My reaction at work was "How do you turn up the contrast on this thing ... from a guy used to an eyescorching ipod touch" :-)
Haha He'll be blind before the year is out and have Apple to thank for it.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
While I love my Kindle and wouldn't be without it, I can certainly see the appeal of paper books. That's the beauty of technology - choices. Some people prefer the eInk readers, some the iPad and other LCD-based readers, yet some still prefer the "real" stuff. I don't put people down for not being "with it", just like I expect others to respect my choices. Just because I can't stand reading on the iPad for longer periods, doesn't mean that I will make fun of others that do.

It is fun to show the Kindle reader to people that have never been exposed to one. I converted my wife and two co-workers. Never had a negative reaction to it, except from an iPad user at Starbucks. That was an event in itself. Some people just really need to stop measuring their self-worth by the gadgets they own...
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
JohnHileman
Author
JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by polbit View Post
Some people just really need to stop measuring their self-worth by the gadgets they own...

What? You mean I need to move past believing that having seven beepers on my belt is cool?

John Michael Hileman

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-01-2012 at 02:36 PM.
JohnHileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
Cosmo Spring
Will read for food
Cosmo Spring doesn't litterCosmo Spring doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX-G
My favorite reaction is the few seconds of "wait, that's like, the screen?" befuddlement. No, I paid $379 to look at this one greyscale picture of Ralph Waldo Emerson. Yes, that's really the screen.
Cosmo Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... How do you turn up the contrast on this thing ... ipod touch ...
>> ... he'll be blind before the year is out and have Apple to thank for it ...

I haven't found a study yet that has proven to me that my reading ebooks on my PDAs is harming me in any manner. Between my Palm devices and my 3G 32GB iPod touch, I read books on all of 'em. Usually with the text as cyan or yellow on a black background.

Can you cite for us any studies that tell me I am harming myself by doing this? Yes, it is mentioned all over the 'Net - but that doesn't necessarily make it true.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
The reaction I constantly get is... "But I just LOVE BOOKS SO much! .... The feel, the smell, the texture.... I'll Never get one of those things! Books are something tactile, something real, a treasure, an heirloom, etc. etc."

I just nod and say, "Yeah. Books are great that's for sure!"

I then have to practically Apologize and make excuses like,
"I love the works of an old writer George Macdonald. His books are out of print but I can download the original text from Gutenberg and make my own Kindle file. I have EVERY SINGLE word he ever published on my Kindle in a separate collection. With my Kindle I'm always carrying around over 400 books. i can read whatever i'm in the mood for from Cheesy Space Opera to Dostoevsky to Stephen King and the text files are free for PD books and only 9.99 for most Modern Novels." (By then the eyes of most people are glazing over and I kow they aren't listening so I sort of just trail off...) Then they go, "Well you'll never catch me reading one of those things!"

But the Oberon cover Always gets positive comments...
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #15
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
The strangest reaction I've gotten was when an old acquaintance paid me a visit. She saw it on the table, visibly recoiled from it. After she regained her composure she asked me if I'd let her smash the "evil toy." After that I decided it was time to get her out of my house.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote