Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Just bought Cybook Gen3 (EB600)!

Well, I figured the 15% reduction in price yesterday was an omen that I ought to go ahead and buy it! I'm still not exactly certain what model it is, but the box states 400 MHz, 1GB, 8 greyscale levels and the Adobe+ePub DRM support - so I'm content. Plus, it came with a *2-year* in-store warranty so I don't have to mail it anywhere if it breaks. The final price (including VAT) was 219 euros - which is very good for Greece where most electronics are 20% higher price than everywhere else and are available 1-year later!

The only thing it doesn't have is a protective case. This is not such a big deal since I do not plan on travelling with it. I have the 5" jetBook for travelling. I can't wait to compare the reading experience!

Now it's charging and I'll play with it later this evening. I appreciate all the great info on MobileRead forum that helped me make an informed decision. I think the store clerks were quite surprised that I knew so much about the device (they had no idea...even as to the price reduction which was on their website but not listed in the store!).
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
That's a very good price for a Gen3 Gold! (1GB and 8 grey level, say it's the Gold edition). I wish I could exchange mine for one those
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Dinou
Dinou has learned how to read e-booksDinou has learned how to read e-booksDinou has learned how to read e-booksDinou has learned how to read e-booksDinou has learned how to read e-booksDinou has learned how to read e-booksDinou has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX, Kindle 4
Congrats! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my (older) one.
Dinou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I charged it and tested most of the features and SD card last night. All works well and I am very impressed with the page turn rate and quality of the display. Even went through the download procedure for a (free) Adobe DE DRM book.

Today I should read the first book on it!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I would advise you to get the case. The Gen3, in my experience, as a bit more flex than other readers which could lead to a twisting action that cracks the screen. It really should have a firm case to provide backing for it to prevent any twisting.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
rgeorg
Guru

Thanks, I will get a hard case at some point. I like the metal cigar-case idea I read in the Bookeen forum. Perhaps I can find one. For now I am using a 7" Eee sleeve with the styrofoam pieces left in.

The screen size, book display and quality are wonderful. Page turns are quick with minimal disruption from the clearing process. I don't notice any difference from the jetBook which is LCD-based. However, I wish there was an additional page-turn button on the left side of the unit.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:35 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Enjoy - it's a wonderful device for reading on ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
rgeorg
Guru

Foolish admission: turns out (from comparing firmware) it is the COOL*ER EB600. The reseller had agreed that it was Cybook, of course they probably don't know anything about ereaders, esp since the system is in English.

I just "spaced" on the control button shape - mine is circular. Didn't realize it until I was reading about the Tuf-Luv cases...

I guess there is not much difference in any case - I wish there were a "delete" file function though, but I like the feel of the "harder" next page button as I keep the unit turned on.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Dinou
Dinou has learned how to read e-booksDinou has learned how to read e-booksDinou has learned how to read e-booksDinou has learned how to read e-booksDinou has learned how to read e-booksDinou has learned how to read e-booksDinou has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX, Kindle 4
Well, enjoy anyway. From what I read there doesn't seem to be any significant difference between these two.
Dinou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I would be quite ticked. The hardware might be very similar, but the software is quite different. The mobi version of the Gen3 firmware allows you to use dictionaries and to control many layout features (such as font type). If I didn't have a Pocketbook that allows me even more flexibility, I would probably have kept my Cybook for this reason. If you like it as is, well and good, but I think you have a good case for a refund given that the item was falsely (even if through incompetence) advertised.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
rgeorg
Guru

Thanks for the advice, but I don't use dictonaries and we just do not have much of a selection here in Greece. I'm pretty (maybe not *quite* as much - but still) pleased with the price and warranty. I wanted a reasonably priced 6" e-ink as opposed to all my other LCD devices so that I could see if it makes any difference to my eyes and the overall reading experience. So far, it's way better than the netbooks and basically on a par with the jetBook, but slightly more screen real-estate which is nice. The jetBook is more tolerant of marginal ambient lighting and better form-factor for carrying around, so that's what I use it for in general.

I think the EB600 software displays the various formats of ebooks quite well and I prefer it for home reading although I still use the 9" netbook tablet for PDFs and some lit format books. So I guess I am "covered" for all situations ;-)

However, if I were not a native English-language person and depended on dictionaries I *would* be annoyed (or prefer my jetBook which has dictionaries!).

It's just that I thought that I was sooooo smart ..........
Old 05-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
rgeorg: the Gold Edition should have a Protective case (a black one) you should contact Bookeen about this, maybe there were a bug in the factory...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote