Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Gadget or tool for reading?

I have a confession to make. I just bought a Nook but I don't usually read a lot of books. I bought a Kindle for my wife on Christmas and she was having so much fun with it I decided to get myself an ereader. But I think I bought it more because I love gadgets than for the purpose of reading. I just love gadgets. I have been building my own computers since before Windows when you had to type in commands on DOS prompt to run programs. I enjoy reading magazines, mostly motorcycle and computer magazines. Most of my reading of books is for information opposed to enjoyment. I did just read a fiction book, Deeper Than the Dead by Tami Hoag on my Nook and I enjoyed it very much. I'm 55 and I do not remember when I last read fiction. I have read quite a few biographies. I have a few other novels on my Nook I will be reading. Time will tell if ereaders will be just a passing fad for me or if I found another way to enjoy myself. So are there any others who bought their ereader mainly for the gadget factor? And if so did you find that you got addicted to the world of book reading?

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I've been addicted to reading since I was about four. But I'm as much of a gadget freak as you say you are. Last year, I bought an Astak EZ Reader. Loved it, started spending major money on (e)books, which is something I hadn't done in several years up until then. Now I have an Asus T91MT convertible tablet/netbook, because I wanted something that would read all formats without me having to do the conversions, and I wanted a backlit screen for night reading without a separate light. I love the looks of the Nook, though, and if I could justify it, I'd probably buy one to carry with me places, so I could leave the Asus at home.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Nah, I was the opposite- totally avid reader who wasnʻt into the technology. Was actually kind of upset when I got this for a birthday present last year, I loved pbooks so much. Iʻve finally grown to love reading using technology.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
raven312
Enthusiast
raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 2
We have a LOT in common: I'm a cyclist, I used to build computers in the DOS yrs, and I love gadgets. I've always loved to read, though. I was going to buy the nook but got a great deal on a Kindle and was surprised that I love that just as much as I thought I would love the nook. It has enhanced my joy of reading and I find that I read more, due to the portability and variety of books at my disposal. I LOOK for opportunities to read now and I love that the technology, though VERY cool, gets out of the way and lets me get lost in a story for awhile.
raven312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Nah, I was the opposite- totally avid reader who wasnʻt into the technology. Was actually kind of upset when I got this for a birthday present last year, I loved pbooks so much. Iʻve finally grown to love reading using technology.
I'm on my 3rd book in a week and I'm finding I do enjoy reading on the Nook much better than paper. It seems like I can see it better. The words just pop out at you they are so clear. I never read 3 books in a week in my life and I'm retired.

~eddie
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven312 View Post
We have a LOT in common: I'm a cyclist, I used to build computers in the DOS yrs, and I love gadgets. I've always loved to read, though. I was going to buy the nook but got a great deal on a Kindle and was surprised that I love that just as much as I thought I would love the nook. It has enhanced my joy of reading and I find that I read more, due to the portability and variety of books at my disposal. I LOOK for opportunities to read now and I love that the technology, though VERY cool, gets out of the way and lets me get lost in a story for awhile.
We have a lot in common. I came very close to buying a Kindle even after I decided on a Nook. I found a few bad reviews on the Nook and had a change of heart. I was minutes away from buying Kindle when I said screw it, get what you really want. As I said before my wife has a Kindle I bought her for Christmas so we have both at home. I find it is more enjoyable reading on the Nook opposed to paper books.

~eddie
Old 02-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
raven312
Enthusiast
raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 2
It must be nice to have two ereaders in the house. I think I will still buy a nook, only I'll wait for gen 2 - unless some of the rumors I hear about the next Kindle are true, then I will just upgrade and stick with having one. I have two paper books I have to finish and although one of them is great and I wouldn't buy it for the Kindle, I have a hard time picking it back up to read... LOL
raven312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I'm on my 3rd book in a week and I'm finding I do enjoy reading on the Nook much better than paper. It seems like I can see it better. The words just pop out at you they are so clear. I never read 3 books in a week in my life and I'm retired.

~eddie
I agree- the words pop out so much better and it just looks neater! I love to read while I do everything, including things like brushing teeth and brushing hair, so having something that doesnʻt require me to flip pages and readjust various things on top to hold the page open really helps
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
totally avid reader who wasnʻt into the technology
That's is me. However, cannot imagine my life without my Sony Reader anymore (for 3 years now).
astra is offline   Reply With Quote