Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, but it is not just the DRM. Topaz book are some PDF like format that is "really slow" on the Kindle. The further you get into the book the longer it takes to turn each page. Also, the layout is actually BAD characters dropped under the line and cut off.

I am glad the only Topaz book I have was a freebee. I won't buy one.

BOb
It's not a scanned format. It's a reflowable text format with an embedded font. I've seen some that were usable, and others that were illegible.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Can you get samples on the iPod? I didn't know that was possible. I didn't think you could access the Amazon store via the software and you have to go through safari to buy a book, add it to your media library then d/l it to the Kindle app?

BOb
You can get samples sent to your iPod's Kindle app. If you were doing it all via the iPod, then you would have to use safari to got o Amazon. I've just been using my computer to get some samples and some of the free eBooks. When you buy an eBook for the iPod, it gets sent to the iPod next time the iPod has a wifi connection and you open the Kindle app. If you already have the app open and purchase an eBook, you have to close it and reopen it. My guess is that when you open the app and have wifi, it talks to Amazon to get any waiting content sent to it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The sample of Glory Road That I had a look at looked almost like a standard resolution fax. It was better, but not by much.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Another bad feature of topaz-formatted books, more a concern with Kindle 2 than Kindle 1, is how large the downloads are. The freebie I got was more than 10 times the size of a normally formatted book.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #20
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'll look for the file size before buying books, but if I ever get a Topaz book by mistake I'm returning it. I strip all the DRM from my books just in case I ever purchase another reader that isn't made by Amazon. Legal? I doubt it, but I don't care.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can get samples sent to your iPod's Kindle app.
Thanks Jon.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #22
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Can you get samples on the iPod? I didn't know that was possible. I didn't think you could access the Amazon store via the software and you have to go through safari to buy a book, add it to your media library then d/l it to the Kindle app?

BOb
Yes you can go on the website and click the send sample to button, although I dont see where it shows file size vs pages

Edit: nevermind
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #23
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
So what is it when it has no page count and no size in KB's? :-)

http://www.amazon.com/First-Men-Moon...6447718&sr=1-3
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post

This appears to be public domain book... so it should be DRM free .azw.

That fact that it has no sample seems to bear this out. Books without samples are usually DRM free.

BOb
Old 03-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post

Since it was free, I downloaded it. It is a DRM-free .azw PD file that opens with MobiPocket Reader.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Since it was free, I downloaded it. It is a DRM-free .azw PD file that opens with MobiPocket Reader.
This book is also in our library.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20712

BOb
Old 03-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #27
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Are you sure it's actually a .azw as opposed to a .mobi or .prc file just renamed?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Are you sure it's actually a .azw as opposed to a .mobi or .prc file just renamed?
There really the same thing. So I'm not sure I follow your question.

BOb
Old 03-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #29
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I just checked in Explorer. It downloaded with a .azw.prc extension. The download window in FF3 only showed a .azw extension.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moon.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	25180  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #30
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
There really the same thing. So I'm not sure I follow your question.

BOb
I thought AZW, while "essentially" being a MOBI format, had it's own funky headers.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote