Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Isamu
Baby eBookworm
Isamu began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Fastest image format?

Hi,

I was wondering what would be the fastest image file type for the 1000S to display? I know it supports a whole variety of file types, but for images which would be the fastest? (JPG, GIF, BMP...)

I was thinking of using the device for reading PDF's which from everyone sounds beautiful, but also I would be looking at a lot of charts (currencies, stocks...) and want to know which is best, also are the images "scribble"able?

Thanks for your time.
Isamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One would imagine that BMP would be the fastest to display, because it doesn't require any decompression.

I'm certainly not suggest that it be used, however; it's a horribly inefficient format in terms of storage space.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Hi,

I was wondering what would be the fastest image file type for the 1000S to display? I know it supports a whole variety of file types, but for images which would be the fastest? (JPG, GIF, BMP...)

I was thinking of using the device for reading PDF's which from everyone sounds beautiful, but also I would be looking at a lot of charts (currencies, stocks...) and want to know which is best, also are the images "scribble"able?

Thanks for your time.
GIF and PNG are considered the best compromise for charts. They use non-lossy compression and do really well on large background areas and solid color areas like those in charts. They can be encapsulated in PDF is you like as well.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
As far as speed goes, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between formats from my experience. The image size and how much re-scaling the reader has to do plays a bigger role.

As Dale wrote PNG or GIF is best for Graphics or Charts since it's lossless. (Unlike JPG, which is lossy, i.e. drops or modifies image information in order to achieve a small filesize)

You can currently scribble on images, even template them in the PC software, but it won't merge them yet. This only seems to work only for PDFs for now, and not very well at that.
(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30465)

Last edited by allovertheglobe; 10-14-2008 at 07:19 PM.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Isamu
Baby eBookworm

Great thanks, PNG it is. I don't think scaling is too much of an issue, as the reader had a nice high resolution screen (1024 x 1280) if I remember correctly.

One more question, I read about merging the scribble and the 'book/document', does that just make the scribbles permanent?

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 12:07 AM   #6
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
One more question, I read about merging the scribble and the 'book/document', does that just make the scribbles permanent
Yes, it does. But it will automatically save it under a different name, so you keep your pristine original. Without that "Merge" function, you can only see the scribble on your reader, not in any other viewer.

Also remember it only works with PDFs. I just converted my white page 1024x1280 PNG into a small PDF. You can grab it from the other link I provided by downloading the WritePads.zip: it's inside.

And when I talk about "template" in the PC software, it means that from now on, the reader will automatically create a new copy of the "Blank Page" for you to scribble on, instead of scribbling on the original. So you will always have the original blank page ready to go.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Isamu
Baby eBookworm

Thanks for that info, I'll grab that file... and perhaps make a request of you, IF you don't mind, could you make another blank pdf but instead have a grid, like 1x1 cm, Like graph paper, I'm not sure how it would turn out the device (I don't have one yet...) but it can handle 16 shades of grey, so a light light grey for the grid.

If you don't mind.

AND another question (is anyone sick of them yet :P) If I merge the blank pdf with the scribble and save it out to another pdf, can that be later turned into an image? I only ever used pdf's for reading, never creating or the likes.

Thanks again for all your help (everyone, not just allovertheglobe, but a big thanks too)
Old 10-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
IF you don't mind, could you make another blank pdf but instead have a grid, like 1x1 cm, Like graph paper, I'm not sure how it would turn out the device (I don't have one yet...) but it can handle 16 shades of grey, so a light light grey for the grid.
I was thinking of doing that anyway for my own use. I'll just have to find the time.

Quote:
AND another question (is anyone sick of them yet :P) If I merge the blank pdf with the scribble and save it out to another pdf, can that be later turned into an image? I only ever used pdf's for reading, never creating or the likes.
Most PDF applications out there for any OS can export a page as an image (or sequence of images if necessary)