Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #35836
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Ever since I was a young boy, I've played the silver ball. From Soho down to Brighton I must have played them all....
I remember when that first came out. 1969. We were all singing along! We'd take Bookcase Speakers and place them about 10" apart facing each other, then put our heads in the middle... No wonder I'm deaf today.

With all these years gone by, I guess it really has taken on "Classic" status.

Stitchawl
I used to do the same thing with Beethoven's Symphony No. 5, except the speakers were rather powerful three-way floor speakers.

Still didn't come close to the Alice Cooper concert I attended. On the way back home, we had to yell at each other to make ourselves understood because our poor ears were so traumatized.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #35837
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Ever since I was a young boy, I've played the silver ball. From Soho down to Brighton I must have played them all....
I remember when that first came out. 1969. We were all singing along! We'd take Bookcase Speakers and place them about 10" apart facing each other, then put our heads in the middle... No wonder I'm deaf today.

With all these years gone by, I guess it really has taken on "Classic" status.

Stitchawl
I went through a The Who phase when I was at uni in the UK one year, although I saw Tommy when I was about 12 or so.

Tommy is just a great album to sing along to, just like Bat out of Hell by Meat Loaf.

I'm now listening to Ligabue and hoping he will finish his new album quickly. One pro of being a fan of Italian music is when a new album is announced it's usually released within a month. Not like American bands (*cough* Aerosmith *cough*) that announce a new album release half a year before the release date and then keep postponing it for several years.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #35838
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Whilst doing this I'm "singing" along with The Who's Tommy.
Excellent stuff, though superceded by Quadrophenia IMHO, which I still listen to from time to time and sigh about lost youth...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #35839
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
After a long day at work ... sit on the floor and brush the cats ... lowers everybody's blood pressure .... and fills the wastebasket ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #35840
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Excellent stuff, though superceded by Quadrophenia IMHO, which I still listen to from time to time and sigh about lost youth...
That's the one advantage I can claim, what with my 'Peter Pan Syndrome.'
I will never grow up.
Lost youth? No me.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #35841
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Well ... calibre just saved my mind ... and the life of my Paperwhite ....

So, I open a Wodehouse book to read on a miserable rainy day ... and encounter a word I want to look up ... tap the screen ... and a box pops up that tells me that my PW does not have a dictionary installed for the book's language ... and that I need to purchase and install one. Hmmmm ..... I go into settings and verify that I have 2 English dictionaries in place ... and switch from one to the other, in case one has become corrupted or something. And return to my book (a legally purchased book from Amazon - published by WW Norton - and not tinkered with) - and get the same message! Hmmm .... so I try using the Wikipedia look up - which also doesn't work.
Fearing a factory reset, my coffee finally kicks in and I load the book into calibre - and in the metadata the language is set to Arabic. Go figure. Some really great quality control in ebook production, eh?

[Imagine the call to Amazon CS from someone who never heard of calibre, let alone metadata, trying to convince someone that the dictionaries don't work anymore .... getting a replacement PW .... etc ... ]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #35842
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just got a text message from my friends that next Sunday they are going to put their caravan on their camp site and if the weather's nice they'll stay until Monday.

Considering the predicted temperature at the moment is between 7 and 10 Celsius and rainy next weekend and she doesn't want to go to the camping site when it's less than 20C and dry I expect I might have to walk the dog on Sunday afternoon although chances are she's staying at home and let her husband and the kids take care of the caravan.

She'll text me later in the week if they're staying or not, I won't be buying any food until Saturday to be sure! If they stay the night I think I'll treat myself to a nice bath bomb from Lush because my friends have a nice long and deep bath.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #35843
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Testing my new desk chair. Strangely it's a bigger chair than the old one, however, it takes up less space.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #35844
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Testing my new desk chair. Strangely it's a bigger chair than the old one, however, it takes up less space.
The new Tardis chair? Saw them advertised recently .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #35845
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Something like that, it's just better designed, also the back is mostly a see through mesh, that makes it look smaller than it is. As far as I can tell it's a great chair, more comfortable, less wobbly and no rattles of loose screws and/or plastic. Tomorrow I'll test it properly with a long Simcity session. In the other chair I could sit 90 minutes max. in it before my back started to protest.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #35846
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Well ... calibre just saved my mind ... and the life of my Paperwhite ....

So, I open a Wodehouse book to read on a miserable rainy day ... and encounter a word I want to look up ... tap the screen ... and a box pops up that tells me that my PW does not have a dictionary installed for the book's language ... and that I need to purchase and install one. Hmmmm ..... I go into settings and verify that I have 2 English dictionaries in place ... and switch from one to the other, in case one has become corrupted or something. And return to my book (a legally purchased book from Amazon - published by WW Norton - and not tinkered with) - and get the same message! Hmmm .... so I try using the Wikipedia look up - which also doesn't work.
Fearing a factory reset, my coffee finally kicks in and I load the book into calibre - and in the metadata the language is set to Arabic. Go figure. Some really great quality control in ebook production, eh?

[Imagine the call to Amazon CS from someone who never heard of calibre, let alone metadata, trying to convince someone that the dictionaries don't work anymore .... getting a replacement PW .... etc ... ]
Maybe they assumed that since you used Arabic numerals on a regular basis, you're fluent in Arabic.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #35847
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I just got a text message from my friends that next Sunday they are going to put their caravan on their camp site and if the weather's nice they'll stay until Monday.

Considering the predicted temperature at the moment is between 7 and 10 Celsius and rainy next weekend and she doesn't want to go to the camping site when it's less than 20C and dry I expect I might have to walk the dog on Sunday afternoon although chances are she's staying at home and let her husband and the kids take care of the caravan.

She'll text me later in the week if they're staying or not, I won't be buying any food until Saturday to be sure! If they stay the night I think I'll treat myself to a nice bath bomb from Lush because my friends have a nice long and deep bath.
As a teenager in the Boy Scouts I remember camping in the snow. Lesson learned: don't sleep in your clothes. It seems like a good idea at night, but in the morning you'll be freezing.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #35848
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I hope they're more comfortable than they look.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #35849
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I decided when I woke up this morning that it's Left Hand Day: as far as possible, everything I normally do with my right hand is going to be assigned to my left and vice versa for the next 24 hours. Time to give the old right-brain a workout.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #35850
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Actually Left Hander's Day isn't until August 13th.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?