Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #46
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Would a device with a screen that large be a good form factor for a cell phone?

That's why I'm not into convergence: a screen as big as I'd like for all of the other things I do with a device makes it too big to be a realistic cell phone.
______
Dennis
You nailed it
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #47
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
First post here - I'm a techie geek - build my own computers, first to own a cell phone and pda - Handspring Visor, moved on the a HP RX3115, now I'm on a motorola q. I wanted a convergence device - phone, pda, mp3 player, camera.

I am dying reading on the q's screen and totally miss the touch screen (I should have gone w/ a palm device) but I don't want to go back to the HTC's larger screen either. And, if I don't have one device, I forget to keep my cell phone charged.

My biggest regret w/ the q (other than losing the touch screen) is that MS didn't bother to make a Microsoft Reader for the platform - so, I have a bunch of DRM books at fictionwise that I can't read again. I like new release books, so now I stick w/ Mobipocket's DRM from fictionwise.

I have to be patient - I'm not cash flush anymore (8 kids) - and my website design work doesn't pull in enough to pay for my tech hobby.

Anyway, I love the site - will enjoy vicariously everyone else's slick Kindle and Sony devices.

Michelle
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #48
erwin
Newton Zaelot
erwin is on a distinguished road

Device: Toshiba G900, Newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
You nailed it
Obviously I disagree.

For example a 5" display IMO is enough to use it as a portable info-gizmo, but not too much to use it as a phone (with BT headset if you wish).

And when we will have a foldable\rollable display (with backlighting, naturally the problem will be totally over...
erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #49
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
If my iLiad could make and receive calls (with a bluetooth headset, for example), I'd ditch the phone. I rarely use it anyway.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #50
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I normally use my PDA for e-books, and I like it fine. Recently I upgraded my cellphone from a Razr to an LG Dare (a touch-clone). I mainly did it to get access to e-mail and full web pages (like this one!), and the full-sized screen is very clear and readable. Which immediately got me thinking about the possibility of reading e-books on it.

Thing is, I don't think there is a reader for the phone, so that probably won't happen anytime soon. Even if it did, I did not get the phone to replace my PDA, and I still carry it with me, so I'll keep reading on the PDA. I'll save the phone for e-mail checking and web browsing.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #51
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What mobile phones can you read books on

I'm from Ireland so there is not a great selection of mobile phones here anyway. I have a sony reader which i love but would also be interested in reading on my mobile phone. Which phone is the best one for reading books on. In Ireland we have the Iphone and the Samsung Tocco but both are expensive. Which of these would people recommend. Also what other phones are good at this and where might I get them. Do not want big bulky ones!
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any Windows Smartphone or (pretty much) any phone running the "Symbian" o/s can use MobiPocket. I use an "HTC Touch" Windows Smartphone which works very well, as a phone, a PDA, and an "emergency" eBook reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #53
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Any Windows Smartphone or (pretty much) any phone running the "Symbian" o/s can use MobiPocket. I use an "HTC Touch" Windows Smartphone which works very well, as a phone, a PDA, and an "emergency" eBook reader.
Same here, with a HTC Touch Dual (and a HTC Wizard/T-Mobile MDA Vario before that).
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #54
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by slainte View Post
I'm from Ireland so there is not a great selection of mobile phones here anyway. I have a sony reader which i love but would also be interested in reading on my mobile phone. Which phone is the best one for reading books on. In Ireland we have the Iphone and the Samsung Tocco but both are expensive. Which of these would people recommend. Also what other phones are good at this and where might I get them. Do not want big bulky ones!
Well, from the quick google search i've just done, the Samsung Tocco does nor appear to be Windows Mobile Device (WM). So I would not suggest getting that id you plan to read on it as I'm doubtfully you'll find the apps for it.

Could you elaborate as to which network you're or or whether that doesn't matter that much. We could then perhaps suggest one of the WM phones by that carrier.

One Tip is that these phones are usually marketed to businesses so while they do sell them to consumers, you often have to ask for them specificly, or look in the section next to the blackberry's .

As for the iPhone, with the existence of the app store, there are a number of applications available for it to read e-books such as e-reader, stanza, etc.
Do a search for iPhone / iPod Touch / iTouch to see how people are going about doing so.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote