Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
500 and Calibre - worth upgrade to 505?

I've been using my 500 for a couple of weeks now and have been pretty happy. I got it used for a song, and promised myself that even if I loved reading on an ebook, I wouldn't upgrade until the next gen came out in November. But there's one problem that I've been having that is really bugging me that might make me change my mind; when reading large docs, especially the NYTimes delivered via Calibre, my 500 crashes. A lot. And since I read the Times just about every day and it gets a little frustrating.

Is this a problem on the 505? Would it be worth upgrading to fix this? Is there anything that I can do to reduce this problem on the 500?
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
its a problem on the 505 as well. I've submitted a bug report to the SONY team, hopefully they'll fix it in the next firmware upgrade.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Try this:
Fetch the NY Times via calibre as you normally do.
Save it to disk. Do NOT use calibre to send it to the Reader.
Load it into the Sony PC Library Software.
Transfer from the Sony software to the Reader.

Using a 505 this gives me fewer reboots and the news file comes up quicker on the Reader with no spinning arrows.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the tip, Old Man.

I guess it's heartening to know that the 505 has the same problem. Maybe with a little prodding it'll get fixed in the next firmware update. Is the next update going to include the 500?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
How large are files such as the NYTimes?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I wouldn't upgrade until the next gen came out in November.
Weatherman - do we know that there is a next gen in November? Does it have a new model number like PRS-510 ?
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
How large are files such as the NYTimes?
They range from .8 megs to up to 2 megs, or about 1200 to 2400 pages total. It may not be the size of the file though, so much as the number of links within the files. kovidgoyal probably knows exactly what the problem is, cuz he's crazy smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DojoPat View Post
Weatherman - do we know that there is a next gen in November? Does it have a new model number like PRS-510 ?
No, we don't know that, but I think there's a good chance of it. If you look at the release schedule of the Readers they seem to come out around then about once a year. And this year in particular, with Kindle getting all the glory, I expect Sony is really going to try to go head-to-head by pumping up the catalog and coming out with some sexy new hardware with wireless integration (probably just WiFi). And I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon came out with Kindle II either before xmas or within a few months after.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
its a problem on the 505 as well. I've submitted a bug report to the SONY team, hopefully they'll fix it in the next firmware upgrade.
Because I read intrade.com a lot I always want to make bets on weird things, and I don't want to be cynical...I think they will probably fix that crashing error but I would offer pretty long odds that the next firmware upgrade improve the speed/reliability of scanning OR formatting/zooming (which I'm almost entirely sure isn't optimized), at least 2:1 against that happening. I would love it if Sony came out and fixed everything people are complaining about, but I really don't think their ear is to the ground (or you'd see them all over this place) and they'll probably just fix major crashing/freezing errors plus whatever odd things the development team has noticed themselves and decided to change. I love the device itself, but I definitely went into my purchase knowing that future support was going to be a coin flip at best and I would have to be ready to use my Reader pretty much as-is for the rest of it's lifespan.

Anyway, that is basically just me spitting a little venom at Sony despite no real troubles with them myself. I just don't trust them to support this line of products very well (yet, and they might look smarter for not putting themselves fully into this market until the technology has matured another 2 or 3 years) and I've always tried to base my satisfaction with the product (which has been very high) mostly on how well it lets me absorb text once I actually get down to it. For me, everything is fast-enough as is, but crashing problems are obviously something that need to disappear pretty quick when you've got a company like Sony backing the hardware and software in the device.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #9
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
[snip]I would love it if Sony came out and fixed everything people are complaining about, but I really don't think their ear is to the ground (or you'd see them all over this place)[snip]
How do you know they're not all over this place? Just because they're not disclosing that they work for Sony, you can't be sure that any of us isn't a member of the development team for the Reader.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
How do you know they're not all over this place? Just because they're not disclosing that they work for Sony, you can't be sure that any of us isn't a member of the development team for the Reader.
Are we supposed to read between the lines here? SHould we send all our requests right to you?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote