Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #31
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Reading a book to my three year old on an e-reader is a fail. It's not big enough for the pictures or colour for that matter and he pulls the reader closer to him so I can't read the page. All in all it's a fail for me. They could work as PDFs on a tablet, but then I'd figure he would get sucked into Zoo Train or Angry Birds before reading. Tablets and phones are just so intuitive for pressing buttons and exploring that using it for books only would really be just opening up a fight. That's not a battle I'm going to go start.
I've got a few children's books on my tablet that I read to my three year-old. He loves to sit next to me and look at the book while I read to him. He knows he's not allowed to touch my Nook. Most of these kid books I found for free from B&N. The problem with the Dr. Seuss books is that they are too expensive. I've seen some of them on SALE for $9.99. Didn't the OP say there were 40 of them? That's $400 in ebooks.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #32
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Do you want to cultivate in your young children a love of BOOKS or a love of ELECTRONICS?
Neither. I want to cultivate in my children a love of READING. IMO it's the stories & imagination that makes books wonderful.

I'm not sure the Dr Seuss books are appropriate though. I think they're best read aloud to a child and reading aloud to my children is something that I'd rather do myself than have a device do for me. That's nothing to do with teaching them a love of reading though, it's mostly for my own enjoyment.

Last edited by calvin-c; 09-07-2013 at 07:56 PM.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #33
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
An interesting comparison is Bembo's Zoo the printed book and the web site:

http://bemboszoo.com/

Flash. Mute speakers if animal noises would be bothersome.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #34
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by medgirl2001 View Post
There are several Dr. Seuss books that have been out as iPad apps for quite some time. Overall, I think they are well-done. They have the original text and illustrations, but they also have the option to have the book read aloud. You can also tap the words and have them highlighted and spoken, with animation of the word that feels in keeping with the Dr. Seuss style. There aren't a lot of bells and whistles - some sound effects, a little bit of animation - so they feel more like an interactive book than an Angry Birds competitor.
They have also been out on Android for some time, I've picked up several on 99 cent sales over the past two years. I like them quite a bit and enjoy the revisit to childhood.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote