Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #61
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffintard View Post
Hey Emsusan, have you tried bypassing the start screen when you first start up your virtual rom to get the items off of it before they are related with an account....

here is what I mean... here

maybe you can extract them after this is done so it isn't tied to an account. I would try it, but it you already have the virtual rom stuff setup if you could and let us know.

Thanks
Yeah, I had tried it, but it still has the same problems(and is even less useful for those that want to mess around as it doesn't have the database entries for a throwaway account)...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #62
aircable.net
aircable.net began at the beginning.

Device: EE
testing market

I did a bit of testing with the "alogcat" program from the market. Had to copy it over via SD card from another Android.

Then the Market App gives this error:

java.io.IOException: Rejected response from server: HTTP/1.1 400 invalid hardware identifier: "F20112100202" is not a valid MEID (expect 14 hex digits)

I guess, we fix this, Market and other apps will work.
aircable.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #63
aircable.net
aircable.net began at the beginning.

Device: EE
MEID

... and this is just the serial number of my EE.
also see http://www.tiaonline.org/standards/resources/meid/
aircable.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #64
cosmopolman
cosmopolman began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
My Edge hung, so I reverted to Dingo, then back to Ermine. So, I figured I might as well just fix the Market thing clean, like in this thread. I have a second Android phone, so I did it all off of that with TitaniumBackup. It all worked, syncs, accounts, etc. except:
a) I am getting very limited apps in Market. I tried the YouTube fix, but it doesn't help. I think I have to do the prop edit. But, I'm afraid to, with all the talk of bricking. Is it safe?
b) Market kind of works. I can download one app at a time, then Market crashes. It also doesn't show any of the apps I have installed on my Edge (except for two paid ones). But, at least it gets the job done for apps that I can find.
c) my Android phone lost its registration in the Android Marketplace website. I'm not sure what impact this will have down the line, but at least, I can't push download apps from the website onto my phone anymore.

So, is editing prop safe?
cosmopolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #65
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

I would say wait on editing the build.prop at least until we see if what ptsenter is doing pans out... Many of us have edited it without problem, but I'm not sure its worth risking... I would try the youtube fix again, sometimes it takes two tries to get it right... We should know in the next week or so some more...
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #66
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Of course, it's not safe. If you want some sort of assurances to ease your conscience about editing a major system file, you probably won't find it. Whenever you start tinkering with your system, you run the risk of majorly screwing something up.

That said, I've edited the build.prop file on multiple devices without ever having a problem. I've also borked my machine twice and restored it. Before you give it a shot, though, you might try downloading "Market Enabler" from the Market and see what happens.

K
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:07 AM   #67
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
I would not say market enabler is safe as may delete the serial no of the device
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:33 AM   #68
cosmopolman
cosmopolman began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Tried Market Enabler (both of them :-). No luck. U.S. operator gives some extra search results, but still can't find Facebook, Remember the Milk, XE Currency, PayPal, etc. Tried YouTube fix a bunch of times too, in combination with Market Enabler no dice. It shows lots of apps, just not the ones I want (and can find with my phone). Will hold off on editing prop, don't want to spend another 5 hours rebuilding a bricked Edge. Thanks for the tips guys.

P.S. I search for "XE Currency", it shows one result but says there are 4 results in the header. On my phone, it shows all 4. It's doing some sort of suppression, post-search. When I set a U.S. carrier, I see 2 results (my default is a UK carrier), but still not the actual "XE Currency" app I want.

Last edited by cosmopolman; 07-07-2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: new discovery
cosmopolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #69
Gerrye
Zealot
Gerrye began at the beginning.

Device: 1 EE,3 PEs,HP Pro Slate12.2,&Kindle Paperwhite,GalaxyTabPro12.2,Note 4
I`m still on the Titanium backup process, I followed the instructions until step#5. When I went to the bottom of backup and restore tab, there were only 3 items:

com.adobe.flashlite
com.entouragesys.eink.journal
com.entouragesys.eink.reader

all 3 are crossed out, but when I tap on them, the option of restore app + data is not there, only an option to uninstall... the other two options Backup ! and Freeze ! are grayed out and will not function... Same option on all three...

I guess I`m doing something wrong... any clues?

Thanks
Gerrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #70
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
Gerrye, what's the device you're restoring from? It must be running Froyo for this to work.
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #71
elBryan
elBryan began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe (Ermine)
I got as far as Last_of_the_PEs did before I ran into the same problem. When I start typing in the terminal, it tells me NOT FOUND.

The instructions up until that point were great. I was surprised that even someone like me, who gets easily frustrated with this technical stuff, was able to make it this far with relative ease.

I'm looking forward to a solution for the Android Marketplace, but am thankful to emusan and the rest of you for bringing me this far.
elBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #72
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrye View Post
I`m still on the Titanium backup process, I followed the instructions until step#5. When I went to the bottom of backup and restore tab, there were only 3 items:

com.adobe.flashlite
com.entouragesys.eink.journal
com.entouragesys.eink.reader

all 3 are crossed out, but when I tap on them, the option of restore app + data is not there, only an option to uninstall... the other two options Backup ! and Freeze ! are grayed out and will not function... Same option on all three...

I guess I`m doing something wrong... any clues?

Thanks
They might not be at the bottom necessarily depending on your filter settings, if they don't appear anywhere on the list then I have two questions:

Are you using the backups I provided or your own?
Are you sure the backups were placed in your /sdcard/TitaniumBackup folder?(It might just look like TitaniumBackup from ESFileExplore)

I hope we can help!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #73
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by elBryan View Post
I got as far as Last_of_the_PEs did before I ran into the same problem. When I start typing in the terminal, it tells me NOT FOUND.

The instructions up until that point were great. I was surprised that even someone like me, who gets easily frustrated with this technical stuff, was able to make it this far with relative ease.

I'm looking forward to a solution for the Android Marketplace, but am thankful to emusan and the rest of you for bringing me this far.
Hi there, which step is the specific one that you get stuck on? Is it seven? If so, are you having any problems using market yet, as step seven is not really necessary if you aren't and I would recommend trying the youtube fix in the FAQ at the bottom first.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #74
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I installed the gapps and everything but market and gtalk is working.
I have access to android devices at work and I got to thinking, why not just pull market off those devices?

I want to keep my current gapps on since gmail and calendar works just fine.
If I pull market off another device, what else do I need to pull with it? I'm thinking of trying the market app only to see what happens.

Thanks,
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #75
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
One more thing.. When I try to access the market place, I have no issues. But when I try to download, I get "download was unsuccessful".

Anyone resolved this issue?
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote