Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Newbie with 2 Questions

Hi all! I've been lurking for about a week or so, after getting my NC as an early Christmas present.

First off, I wanted to thank KryptoNyte and bbz_ghost (whose instructions helped me convert some videos for my NC) and SCION (for a number of other tips and reassurances), as well as many of the other regulars here who have already helped me get up and running so quickly.

Was wondering if anyone could help with two questions I haven't quite seen the answer to.

1) Are there detailed instructions anywhere about using the stock browser? I've been trying to do simple things go back to the homepage, or (since it has an option for "opening in a new tab") figuring out how to switch from one open webpage to another. Stuff that's so intuitive on my computer or smartphone.

2) I'm getting awfully close to rooting my NC. Has anyone noticed how much more quickly using apps have been draining your phone? I'm used to my Android-based phone losing juice *really* quickly if I'm, say, playing Angry Birds, and wondering if it's any different on the NC.

Thanks all and happy to finally be "official"!
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Hi, the gratitude is appreciated.

1) Are there detailed instructions anywhere about using the stock browser? I've been trying to do simple things go back to the homepage, or (since it has an option for "opening in a new tab") figuring out how to switch from one open webpage to another. Stuff that's so intuitive on my computer or smartphone.

You can swipe your finger to go back a page. Do this at the bottom black strip where the wifi and battery indicator are. Slide your finger from right to left in a swift motion.

At the top right of the browser is a drop down menu. Click on it and select New Window. When you want to return to an open window do the same thing and select Window

2) I'm getting awfully close to rooting my NC. Has anyone noticed how much more quickly using apps have been draining your phone? I'm used to my Android-based phone losing juice *really* quickly if I'm, say, playing Angry Birds, and wondering if it's any different on the NC.

I haven't experienced any negative effect on battery life. You're right about phones being greatly affected. Not the case with the NC.

Last edited by SCION; 12-25-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typos galore
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Wow, I didn't expect to get a response so quickly on Christmas day! That's dedication, SCION!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You can swipe your finger to go back a page. Do this at the bottom black strip where the wifi and battery indicator are. Slide your finger from right to left in a swift motion.

At the top right of the browser is a drop down menu. Click on it and select New Window. When you want to return to an open when do the same thing and select Window
Ahhhhh, "Window"! Got it. I knew about swipe thing to go back a page, but does that mean there's, like, so browser "home" shortcut anywhere? That essentially if I want to go "home" I treat it like any other webpage and just use my bookmarks?
Quote:
I haven't experienced in negative effect on battery life. You're right about phones being greatly affected. Not the case with the NC.
Now THAT's totally great to hear.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Yes, to go home I believe you're limited to selecting a bookmark to do so.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote