Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
crazyknitter42
crazyknitter42 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
nook charger

I am wondering if there is a nook charger that uses batteries that one can purchase. I am seeing several as I do a search, but I am not sure what the Nook requires AND which one is best.

If I am ever not near an electrical outlet, I would like to have a back up.

Also, does anyone know if there is anything such as a solar charger available?
crazyknitter42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknitter42 View Post
I am wondering if there is a nook charger that uses batteries that one can purchase. I am seeing several as I do a search, but I am not sure what the Nook requires AND which one is best.
Any USB charger should work with your nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknitter42 View Post
Also, does anyone know if there is anything such as a solar charger available?
Yes, there are solar USB chargers. I am not sure how well they function. I recommend checking out the reviews.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
donob10
donob10 began at the beginning.

Away from the grid charging

I have a charger that will emergency charge a LOT of different things. It uses two AA batteries. You can get different tips for it to interface to the connector on most any device. I bought a micro-USB adapter and have successfully charged my nook. Getting the nook almost to fully charge from close to empty wiped out the 2 AA's. Several mfg's make these things. Mine is "Igo" brand from RadioShack. I think the gadget was ~ $20 a few years ago. Each tip is ~$15. Buy extra AA's.
donob10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Actually, not any USB connector, must be USB Type A/Micro-B, to be more exact.

Also, I would not advise to charge via USB or computer unless you are 100% sure of the voltage output, especially when running from battery. The output won't be the same and won't charge properly. The same applies for USB hubs.

Regarding which one will fit the Nook, what you need to check is: output voltage and output mAh. Those specs are in the Nook's manual, the Nook battery or online. Whatever matches should work with your Nook.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
donob10
donob10 began at the beginning.

It's not complicated. USB defines both Volts and and milliamps of current. The standard is 5.00 volts and 500 milliamps. Even a laptop with low battery would output to that standard. DC-DC converters are used to get to 5.00 V from the laptops higher battery voltage.
The nook wall charger does put out 800 mAmp, rather than the standard 500. That is to allow faster charge. Care should be used before using the nook wall charger to charge anything else, like a cell phone. The higher charge rate could be a problem in a smaller battery.
The "Igo" emergency charger does provide 5.0 Volts (DC-DC converter) and 500 mAmps and can be used with any "USB" chargeable device. It has other "taps" to provide other voltages through other tips.
There are two USB micro connectors. Micro-A and Micro-B. Micro-B is the one on nook. It is the more common one. There are no Standard A (computer or nook wall charger) to Micro-A (nook size) cables. So you cant get the wrong one, if you get Micro.
I think things are looking too complicated. It isn't. The earlier reference to USB A/Micro-B connector is an error. USB A/Micro-B defines a cable not a connector. Loose language makes confusion. Every nook comes with that cable.

Last edited by donob10; 12-14-2010 at 06:33 PM.
donob10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Actually, not any USB connector, must be USB Type A/Micro-B, to be more exact.
I didn't say connector, I said charger. And while my statement is not strictly true, any charger in the world manufactured since 2005 should work.

You will need a microUSB connection on the end, but this is assumed as it's the only plug that will fit into the nook. You do not need a Type A connector on the other end; a hard-wired charger will work in the same manner.

Quote:
Also, I would not advise to charge via USB or computer unless you are 100% sure of the voltage output, especially when running from battery. The output won't be the same and won't charge properly. The same applies for USB hubs.
I'm not aware of why you are including this caveat. This stuff is very standard, and it isn't like there are multiple voltage standards for USB. Also, are you aware of some problem with the nook relating to a special sensitivity to voltage levels?

Quote:
Regarding which one will fit the Nook, what you need to check is: output voltage and output mAh.
Voltage will be 5V. The current will probably range from 500 mA to 1.8 A (not mAh), although a solar charger may provide less. The current determines how fast the device will charge, but the nook can't use the full power of the device. I believe (without extensive testing) that the classic nook tops off around 750 mA, so anything above that won't produce a different result.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
I didn't say connector, I said charger. And while my statement is not strictly true, any charger in the world manufactured since 2005 should work.

You will need a microUSB connection on the end, but this is assumed as it's the only plug that will fit into the nook. You do not need a Type A connector on the other end; a hard-wired charger will work in the same manner.

I'm not aware of why you are including this caveat. This stuff is very standard, and it isn't like there are multiple voltage standards for USB. Also, are you aware of some problem with the nook relating to a special sensitivity to voltage levels?

Voltage will be 5V. The current will probably range from 500 mA to 1.8 A (not mAh), although a solar charger may provide less. The current determines how fast the device will charge, but the nook can't use the full power of the device. I believe (without extensive testing) that the classic nook tops off around 750 mA, so anything above that won't produce a different result.
Hi,

When charging via USB/Laptop, there are some laptops which, when running on batteries, they don't provide the required voltage for properly charge the device. This applies to Kindle too. Check online and the manual and you'll see. Same for some USB hubs.

OP was asking what to check. Volt output, regardless or the type or connector, cable or charger, it's the #1 thing to check.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote