Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
webfolk
Enthusiast
webfolk began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question Safari downloads MOBI & EPUB as text files

There are 2 e-books I just put on our website that are available for free download. Using my MacBook Pro OS 10.5.8 to test the Safari browser, when I go to this webpage:
http://www.thefolkofyore.com/2-Sacre...missebook.html
and click on either of these links: "MOBI for the Kindle e-reader" or "EPUB for all other e-readers" Safari downloads a text file, not a MOBI or EPUB. This doesn't happen with Firefox (my default browser), Google Chrome or Opera.

Is there a preference change necessary in Safari or some other issue?

Thanks for any suggestions!
webfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is generate caused by the web server not having a MIME type set up to tell it that files with those extensions should be served as binary files, not text. You need to add the entry "application/epub+zip" to the server's list of MIME types.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
webfolk
Enthusiast
webfolk began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for your suggestion, HarryT.

Initially I didn't know how to implement this since I have no experience with or knowledge of MIME. After talking with my ISP tech support person (who I had read this thread) and doing some Googling, I have a bit of an idea which I'd like to get corroborated and expanded. She suggested placing an .htaccess file in the same server folder that holds the EPUB and MOBI files for each book. Wouldn't it be better to place it once in the root directory? it would then impact the entire website, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You need to add the entry "application/epub+zip" to the server's list of MIME types.
I assume another entry must be made for the MOBI files. What would it be? Are both entered in the same .htaccess file? Is that all there would be, just 2 lines?

When I tried to create an .htaccess file by placing "application/epub+zip" into TextEdit and saving as an .htaccess file, I got the following message:
Names that begin with a dot “.” are reserved for the system. If you decide to go ahead and use a name which begins with a dot the file will be hidden.
How do I handle this?
webfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:27 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The MIME type for Mobipocket files is "application/x-mobipocket-ebook".

I'm pretty sure that such changes need to be made by the server administrator.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, downloads problems, safari