Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What Travel/Adventure book will enthrall us in March?
The Last Days of Old Beijing: Life in the Vanishing Backstreets of a City Transformed by Michael Meyer 10 25.64%
Wild by Cheryl Strayed 10 25.64%
In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson 13 33.33%
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce 7 17.95%
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne 13 33.33%
In an Antique Land: History in the Guise of a Traveler's Tale by Amitav Ghosh 9 23.08%
Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer 10 25.64%
Endurance by Alfred Lansing 7 17.95%
River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard 8 20.51%
In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin 6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Can I reserve a book that is currently available?
No you can't. But given that the poll is over on Tuesday, you can start reading it then if it wins.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No you can't. But given that the poll is over on Tuesday, you can start reading it then if it wins.
I am very doubtful as to its winning.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am very doubtful as to its winning.
I've reserved In a Sunburned Country from a number of libraries. I'll see when it comes in. This may be the winner.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #34
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
C'mon The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce!!! You're both my first choice and actually available in my library system, through Overdrive!!!!!
Never heard of this book before this nomination, but now I'm on the waiting list at my library. Looks like it won't win, but I'm reading it regardless. I like to walk as much as I like to read and setting out on foot across England sounds wonderful to me.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #35
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Never heard of this book before this nomination, but now I'm on the waiting list at my library. Looks like it won't win, but I'm reading it regardless. I like to walk as much as I like to read and setting out on foot across England sounds wonderful to me.
I'd never heard of it either. My library has seven copies all checked out with 62 on the waiting list so it seems like it's fairly popular here. If I didn't have bills etc. to worry about it's totally a walk I'd like to take (although not for the reason Harold does).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #36
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
20000 Leagues Under the Sea is also available over at feedbooks (free) in epub and Kindle formats.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #37
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm hoping the Bryson doesn't win, as it's the only one I've read. Anything else, please! I put a hold on spec on River of Doubt at the Boston Public Library and my turn's come up already, so I might read that in any case; I liked although I didn't love Millard's book about Garfield.

All of that said, my strong preference is for one of the books I voted for; I'm indifferent among them. They're in contention; let's go, Beijing/Antique Land/Tibet!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #38
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm hoping the Bryson doesn't win, as it's the only one I've read. Anything else, please! <snip>
Same. I also think it's the sort of book that will not generate much of a discussion.

Oh well, I'll just read something else.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Same. I also think it's the sort of book that will not generate much of a discussion.
I agree. I'm also Brysoned out; I'm bored with his schtick and his tricks. He borrows a lot and "enhances" his actual experiences.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #40
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Aside for my preference for Endurance because of the fact that I have already read that, my only other wish is that the book just be travel/adventure. By that I mean, avoiding any book that is just as much about some sort of personal journey or quest to resolve issues in the narrator's life. Reading that sort of book does not really appeal to me. That and at the moment only In a Sunburned Country and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea seem to be readily available in ebook form to me for free.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I am hoping Wild wins not because I nominated it, but because it does sound like an interesting book to read.

I'm not all that interested in Tibet or Patagonia. I'm not really wanting to read about Oz again. A walk across England just sounds dull to me. The new translation of Verne is not out yet. I don't care about Roosevelt. And the others meh. So there we have it.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #42
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am hoping Wild wins not because I nominated it, but because it does sound like an interesting book to read.
Yep! It went right into my TBR! Sounds really interesting!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #43
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Is that true? I just found the following on Amazon:

Quote:
If I had known that every few pages I would have to see passages underlined by Oprah I would not have bought this edition. Not only does it bump me out of the narrative, but it deprives me of experiencing the book on my own; instead forcing me to think Oprah's underlines are the important parts. It makes what could otherwise be a beautiful story feel like a cheap used textbook. I should at least be able to hide the obnoxious underlining and get to experience the story on my own.

I love the story, and I love Oprah, but I hate having her perspective forced on me as I read. I'll never buy an Oprah digital book again.
You can't turn that off? That sounds a bit weird to me..
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #44
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Aside for my preference for Endurance because of the fact that I have already read that, my only other wish is that the book just be travel/adventure. By that I mean, avoiding any book that is just as much about some sort of personal journey or quest to resolve issues in the narrator's life.
I have to agree. Too much current travel writing is only navel-gazing against an unfamiliar backdrop. Everything--history, scenery, interaction with others--only serves as a sieve for the writer to process himself, and usually with banalities and easily achieved epiphanies.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #45
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Is that true? I just found the following on Amazon:

You can't turn that off? That sounds a bit weird to me..
I'd suggest getting the Non-Oprah Version, if that is the case.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote