Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Would anyone give up their Kindle Fire for an Ipad Mini?

I have a Kindle Fire v1. My husband wants it to take on the road with him to watch movies on, so I get to upgrade. I'm thinking the Kindle Fire HD if the processor is faster than v1. It is very slow on the browser. Right now I use it mainly for books and a few apps that I don't use much since I'm an avid reader.

I have an iPhone 4S which I love. If the price point is around $250 on the iPad mini - would anyone give up their Fire?
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbearjt08 View Post
I have a Kindle Fire v1. My husband wants it to take on the road with him to watch movies on, so I get to upgrade. I'm thinking the Kindle Fire HD if the processor is faster than v1. It is very slow on the browser. Right now I use it mainly for books and a few apps that I don't use much since I'm an avid reader.

I have an iPhone 4S which I love. If the price point is around $250 on the iPad mini - would anyone give up their Fire?
I highly doubt that the iPad mini would cost $250 (if it even exists). I believe that it would start at a higher cost, $299 at the bare minimum, more likely $349-$399.

I upgraded my KF v1 for a KFHD 16GB. Best Buy offers $75 as a trade-in value for a KF v1, so it helped reduce the out-of-pocket cost for the HD. In spite of some (Mac OSX-specific connectivity issues) the KFHD is a head-n-shoulders above the v1.

If you like the v1 I think that you'll love the HD.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If it is $250, I'd just buy it and keep the Fire!

$349 is my bet for the mini. The Ipad2 is $399 so unless they drop the price on that one, ...
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
No. Because I like the carousel too much. Plus, I'm too invested in Amazon.

Would I still buy the Mini? Sure. It would make up for when I give my dad my original KF.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
With my experience with the iPad 2, I would not give up the Fire for a mini. Unless it was free, and even then...
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think we're still lacking a lot of information about this (to say the least), even basic specs. Then there's all the special applesauce that only becomes known when they actually launch. This has to be more than a shrunken iPad2 or nobody will buy it. I think it's unlikely to be less than $349 for the low end model.

I think we're still waiting for confirmation on the 'likely' Oct 23 event. Earlier rumors said 'invitations will be sent' this week and here we are still waiting.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
No. No way, no how.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think we're still lacking a lot of information about this (to say the least), even basic specs. Then there's all the special applesauce that only becomes known when they actually launch. This has to be more than a shrunken iPad2 or nobody will buy it. I think it's unlikely to be less than $349 for the low end model.

I think we're still waiting for confirmation on the 'likely' Oct 23 event. Earlier rumors said 'invitations will be sent' this week and here we are still waiting.
True that.

Speculation:

http://www.informationweek.com/hardw...know/240008988
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
The iPad mini in a heartbeat. I only have the Fire because I couldn't afford the iPad.
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I highly doubt that the iPad mini would cost $250 (if it even exists). I believe that it would start at a higher cost, $299 at the bare minimum, more likely $349-$399.

I upgraded my KF v1 for a KFHD 16GB. Best Buy offers $75 as a trade-in value for a KF v1, so it helped reduce the out-of-pocket cost for the HD. In spite of some (Mac OSX-specific connectivity issues) the KFHD is a head-n-shoulders above the v1.

If you like the v1 I think that you'll love the HD.
I think you bring up a good point. Being that the new iPod Touch will start at $299, I'd be very surprised if they offer the iPad mini for $250.

I have an iPad 3 and a KF HD, so I have no interest in the iPad Mini. Although, I bet if they do pop up eventually, they'll sell fast.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
No, the iPad doesn't do anything different or significantly better as far as my usage goes. I don't see any point in spending more money to do the same things on an iPad.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Nope I wouldn't I never own an apple since the Commodore 64 and never will.
Now a Nexus 7 might tempt me. lol
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #13
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
The Commodore 64 was by Commodore Business Machines. It actually outsold Apples for a while, but it wasn't made by Apple. I own Apple everything (except for the fire) and after 17 years with Windoze (machines all made by different ppl IBM Compaq etc), I think Apple is AWESOME.
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote