Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Fortune Magazine Suggests iPad Mini to Appear October 17(?)

Via GigaOm: http://gigaom.com/apple/ipad-mini-un...t-says-oct-17/
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Pricing and specs will be interesting. Here are the entry level prices for current wifi iOS devices:
  • $199 -- iPod touch 4 (16GB)
  • $299 -- iPod touch 5 (32GB)
  • $399 -- iPad 2 WiFi (16GB)
  • $499 -- iPad 3 WiFi (16GB)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Can't see iPad 2 being available once the Mini is launched though. Entry-level MiniPad (16Gb WiFi) starting at $299 (same as 32Gb iPod Touch 5) would probably work, and with no iPad2 you have clear price points upwards.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
I just love to see new tablets coming out almost every month. Competition is good and will turn tablets into very capable computers at low prices within few years. I'm excited!!
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
IF there is to be an iPad Mini (and its by no means a certainty) I think I will end up selling off my iPad 3, and get the Mini. It would be (assuming its going to be lightweight) perfect for reading, and also for on-the-go web browsing, grabbing email etc. I don't take my iPad out anywhere, it lives near the couch except when its time to recharge or update apps (and sometimes not even then)... I'm not using it for reading for the same reason I didnt use iPad 1... too heavy.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Pricing and specs will be interesting.
Agreed. Just not sure how this is going to work out. I think the reason that the iPod Touch and the iPad both work is that they don't infringe on one another's space. I'm not saying that the mini won't be a great device with great specs, but I think it may pull people from the iPod Touch or iPad market, rather than exploit a hitherto untapped market.

And price is absolutely crucial. I am going to be getting a tablet soon for my son who is turning seven, for reading, music, games, movies, etc. But, unless Apple really suprises me, I'm sure the Nexus 7 will be at a much more realistic price point. I'm not buying a $400 device for him to drop, forget on the school bus, drip grape jelly on, etc. This is why the rumors (wishful thinking?) of an even cheaper Nexus 7 are very appealing to me.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
rlowe
Enthusiast
rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3; Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
IF there is to be an iPad Mini (and its by no means a certainty) I think I will end up selling off my iPad 3, and get the Mini. It would be (assuming its going to be lightweight) perfect for reading, and also for on-the-go web browsing, grabbing email etc. I don't take my iPad out anywhere, it lives near the couch except when its time to recharge or update apps (and sometimes not even then)... I'm not using it for reading for the same reason I didnt use iPad 1... too heavy.
Completely agree. It's really annoyed everytime I try to read with my iPad 2. Another reason is that the 7.85 inch screen would make iPad mini be so much like a book
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
Agreed. Just not sure how this is going to work out. I think the reason that the iPod Touch and the iPad both work is that they don't infringe on one another's space. I'm not saying that the mini won't be a great device with great specs, but I think it may pull people from the iPod Touch or iPad market, rather than exploit a hitherto untapped market.
I agree with your assessment and think Apple runs the risk of having potential buyers getting just one device instead of two. See my post here for my reasoning.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Interesting points all around. For me, I could see myself with two iDevices, but whereas now I own the original iPad and an iPod touch 4, if I could choose just two, I'd pair the iPad and (hypothetical) iPad Mini. It would likely come down to an intersection between psychology and practicality for my decision to purchase the Mini. I really like my iPad (even with an "inferior" screen ), and find it very useful for many work-related activities (academic research). However, it's a bit too large, and potentially fragile, for me to carry it about with me comfortably. The Mini might solve that problem, but I think crossing the $300 price point might be a tough psychological barrier to pull the trigger on. In any event, it looks like I'll have a little while longer to try to make a rational choice, and fight the new gadget "Jones."

Last edited by Batman Jr.; 10-03-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
Interesting points all around. For me, I could see myself with two iDevices, but whereas now I own the original iPad and an iPod touch 4, if I just could choose two, I'd pair the iPad and (hypothetical) iPad Mini.
I currently have an iPod Touch 3 and an iPad 3. I would also go with two, but I think I would tend towards the iPod and the (theoretical) iJunior. The iPod functions mainly as my music player and emergency book reader (and entertainer of small children when trapped unexpectedly in the car). I can't carry around an iPad in my pocket, and unlimbering the iPad from my messenger bag to hook up in the truck is too cumbersome. So I can't live without that, but I could live with (and actually would periodically be happy for) a smaller iPad. Of course, LTE would be a must on my new iJunior.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote