Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
immapestomaniac
immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPhone
Talking The Best Task Manager/Organizer

Hey guys, what is the best Task Manager or Organizer for you? Care to share their specs and extra features. I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks in advance!
immapestomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I used to use Things on my Mac and there was / is an iOS version that I could sync. With the release of Mountain Lion, I find Reminders to be sufficient for my todo lists.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #3
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I love just using Reminders for to-do lists and task management, but I've yet to find an app I like as an organizer...
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Maybe look at Bento, which has a desktop and iPad app. These are great in that there are included templates, a forum type place where people share what they've created, or you can completely design your own.

Another option, iPad only, Opus Domini, a lite / free version or Pro. This is more of a todos with meeting and event planning.

Only other organizer I have used is Contactizer Pro, a desktop app for project planning and management. I thought this was a very good app, syncs with iCal, Contacts, and Mail, fairly easy to learn.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I haven't found the perfect one yet, so I use a combination of several.

Notebooks for tasks related to personal projects. Task management is nothing more than an afterthought in Notebooks, but in that context it works for me because of the other advantages of Notebooks (nice interface to type notes, and the possibility of adding attachments and organizing stuff in folders).

Priorities for non project related tasks. This app is especially good at managing recurring tasks, with options such as the choice of starting the next task from the due date of the previous one (e.g. get signed timesheet from client), or from the completion date of the pervious one (e.g. change contact lenses).

Paperless for shopping lists, mostly groceries, because an item doesn't disappear when you check it off and you can reactivate it next time you need to buy it, plus its very simple interface is perfect for walking around in the shop checking things off.

Lately I've learned about the four quadrant method (classify tasks in a four cell matrix according to how critical and urgent they are), which sounds great, and trying to find an app that will use that, but I haven't found a good one yet. ERIC is a free one that seems promising but the interface needs some work. Priority Matrix has more functionalities but some big interface flaws.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Wow... people are so elaborate in their task managers. I just use the default calendar app.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I use the calendar for everything except a shopping list (shoplist does that for me). I tried a bunch of organisers which had free versions but for my purposes, calendar is enough. When I was still at work as a community mental health nurse (visiting nurse) I would use google calendar and their free sms feature to give me appointment reminders throughout the day.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Calendar manages appointments, not tasks. Reminders manages tasks, but I found it lacking when I tried it, and I already had the other ones. I used Due also for a while, but mostly for the timer function because iPad doesn't have a clock app. Now that I have an iPhone with the clock app, I don't need Due any more so I deleted it.

For appointments, I use Helvetical, but that's because of the nice looking interface, it has the same functionalities as Calendar but it looks better.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I use the calendar for everything except a shopping list (shoplist does that for me). I tried a bunch of organisers which had free versions but for my purposes, calendar is enough. When I was still at work as a community mental health nurse (visiting nurse) I would use google calendar and their free sms feature to give me appointment reminders throughout the day.
For shopping list, Grocery IQ is great.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Calendar manages appointments, not tasks.
I suppose if you have a long and complicated task it might not, but I use it for the most mundane things. Remembering a doctor's appointment. Remembering that I need to take my cat to the vet on Saturday. Reminding me that I have bills to pay, on the day they need to be paid (thanks to Chronicle which runs its own special calendar). All of them have alerts and all of them are reliable. Its all I need. If more info is needed, notes can be inserted. Eg, Have to take cat to vet on Friday but its a new vet so I need also to take his current vaccination records and other medical information. *shrug* I find it better than reminders, which usually doesnt remind me of anything much at all.

One freebie I tried which I found pretty good, when I was switching off Google calendar is Seize The Day. Free, too.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 08-08-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
For shopping list, Grocery IQ is great.

Carol
Shoplist is simple. You make lists (as many as you want... I usually have butcher, supermarket, fruito) for what you want to have as your staples and you mark them as have or need. Its the most uncomplicated shopping list app, ever. You only need to make the list once, and tap to send to have or need. Add and subtract as desired but really subtracting isnt needed, you just never "need" those things again. I have a list in there also for my doctor, all my prescriptions are listed, so when I am out of one, it goes to the need list. etc.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #12
immapestomaniac
immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delotte231 View Post
Wow... people are so elaborate in their task managers. I just use the default calendar app.

Yeah, before I use my Calendars in saving important tasks. Then eventually organize my reminders to my Memo folder in my previous Samsung phones.
I love task managers that can effectively organize my notes and important reminders in a simple way. I don't like complicated note taking apps really.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #13
immapestomaniac

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it!

@Florenceart- Very enlightening! Thank you very much!
@david_e- Contactizer Pro is one great app. An organizer on another level! Lol.
@misskittiness- there are a lot, and you'll soon find one which will suit your needs
@sadievan and kyteflyer- thank you!

For my lifestyle, I prefer Awesomenote Lite. A notetaking app that I use for organizing my notes, to do lists and other reminders in a little more fun way. It's got everything- from school and work related notes, to shopping, bills list etc. just cool! The best thing about these task managers is there are tons of them and a user can choose which one fits his To Do preferences. Again, thanks! Keep me updated on great organizers in the future!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i love using Astrid they have web sync and you can also specify the app to put the tasks on your calendar
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #15
immapestomaniac

Will check that Astrid out shortly. Thanks for the suggestion!