Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Conner
Enthusiast
Conner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Kindle Internet Problem.

http://tinypic.com/r/k6li8/6

That's my problem..

It appears to be doing this automatically and creating files and folders on the kindle root. Anybody else have this? Anybody know how I can fix this?
Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner View Post

http://tinypic.com/r/k6li8/6

That's my problem..

It appears to be doing this automatically and creating files and folders on the kindle root. Anybody else have this? Anybody know how I can fix this?
Would you provide some background from the time this started?

If it is recording the sites you visit - what is the oldest recorded site and what was the site you visited just prior to that one?

Did you install anything or modify anything?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Did you tell windows that it could use your kindle "usb drive" to accelerate windows? If a USB mass storage is fast enough, windows will ask this sometimes when it detects the device.

If you said yes, you gave windows permission to store "crap" on your kindle.

If you did not say yes, then you may have "malware" on your windows PC. Because that filename looks like part of a URL (web page address), I suspect it may be caused by malware, or some other badly behaving program that you installed.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Conner
Enthusiast

so are you saying that malware is now on my kindle.?. because i assure you i did not let it be used for readyboost.i.e. the boost of ram you were describing. It is a url type thinh because it happens when using my kindles internet... the filenames are of what i have searched. i delete them as i see them.. i assume no one else has hadthis problem? Thing is i have no hacks installed .. . . i reset my kindle to factory settings. So... i guess my kindle is f****d?

Last edited by Conner; 05-12-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Am I the only person who has problems while even parsing, let alone understanding, that last post by Conner?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Am I the only person who has problems while even parsing, let alone understanding, that last post by Conner?
My translation -
Conner: I didn't do anything, it isn't my fault.

@Conner:
Send it back to Amazon, let them fix it for you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How I parsed it is the files are not being stored by windows over USB as I thought after reading his previous post. They are being stored on his USB drive while using his kindle web browser.

He must be visiting some suspicious website that stores crap on his usb drive using funky javascript code. At least that is my best guess based on the limited information provided.

Ahh... readyboost, those windows buzzwords have been getting pushed out of my mind by more interesting kindle stuff.

@Conner: It isn't the kindle that is "f**ked", as you suggested. It is the choice of websites you visit on your kindle that appears to be the problem here.

EDIT: I just looked at the posted photo again. It says "downloading ads" while on a mobileread website. Could that be a side-effect of one of the "Special Offers" disabling hacks?

@Conner: Is this a Special Offers kindle? Did you disable special offers? What firmware version are you using? What hacks do you have installed? You did not give us enough details to help you. Please answer these questions, so we can tell you exactly how to not shoot yourself in the foot again.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-12-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #8
Conner
Enthusiast

Well... No MY Kindle is not Special offers. I purchased this before they were even released. The choices of website --> it happens on every website. I am using Firmware 3.3. And Currently I have no Hacks Installed. (After A problem with Duokan and the internet. I Reset to Factory defaults.)
Old 05-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Doing a "reset to factory defaults" does not remove hacks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
Conner
Enthusiast

uhh what?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What what? It's a simple statement of fact; doing a "reset to factory defaults" does not remove firmware hacks, jailbreaking, etc.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-13-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
Conner
Enthusiast

well....... Then I have had. or have I dont know anymore : Launchpad ; Duokan ; Duoakan 2012 ; Picture Viewer Full Screen Mod ; Readability Mod ; Ive used the 'Cosmic Egg Algorithm' thing I've used the animated screensaver.. I installed but by launchpad merged developer key where i then played the snakes game and loaded the mangle and kif
Custom Screensavers.. and ..I have kite. That is all i have ever installed I think..

EDIT: Thinking about it .. it did coincide with the launchpad installation. Could this be a potential cause?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It might be worthwhile uninstalling the hacks you've installed and see if that helps.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner View Post
I've used the 'Cosmic Egg Algorithm' thing I've used the animated screensaver..
My demos (including cosmegg and others) do not "install" and do not change anything. You just run them and they write only to the eink display. My tcc compiler package installs some extra symlinks to the root partition, but they should not interfere with anything even if you do not run the uninstaller to remove them.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
Conner
Enthusiast

Well.. I uninstalled Launchpad. Which i thought was the problem.. It still happens..